is norovirus still a problem

WendyandPeter

There is ALWAYS a potential for norovirus, but it is more prevalent as the weather gets colder. It is not endemic to particular ships; instead, it is picked up and brought on board by passengers who have been exposed during the journey to the ship. Princess takes very strong measures as soon as they suspect that someone might have brought it on board.

Do as you would in any place where you come in contact with large numbers of people - wash your hands often and thoroughly most especially before eating.

If you do get sick, please contact the ship's doctor immediately and follow the staff's instructions. You will recover more quickly and help minimize the spread of the virus.

This disease is so common that it is never tracked on land. Ships are required to report outbreaks, and that is why so much attention has been placed upon them. Unfairly, as it turns out. Hospitals, schools, theme parks, and businesses get their fair share of outbreaks.

I think the main reason the virus is more prevalent during colder weather is the same reason that colds are more prevalent: people tend to be indoors and more tightly congregated, so there's more opportunity to pass it along.

Use common sense to limit your chances of picking up any virus. Wash hands often, and also use a sanitizer after touching *anything* others have touched-- including serving utensils in the buffet, or even elevator buttons. When leaving public restrooms, protect yourself from touching the door handle with a paper towel-- you may have just washed yourself, but maybe others before you didn't! Vigilence pays off.

Just to let you know about the Island directly - they are fine. My daughter is a dancer on the ship (but home in 2 weeks, which we are looking forward to :D ) and she said that for the last 2 weeks there were no reported cases. Remember to wash hands frequently, which is something we should all do in any public place - airports, malls, etc. - problem is people don't.

By the way, you will LOVE the Island Princess, my favorite ship so far!!

• 5 months later...

The Norovirus was a problem on the Golden in December. Lucky for us, everyone in our group remained healthy. My advice.......wash your hands, avoid the handrails and use antibacterial wipes, soaps, lotions or whatever ALL THE TIME. Better safe than sorry. We certainly didn't let it ruin our trip. We had a blast! :)

We carried sanitizer in our pockets...worked well in port too.

Be aware of what you touch,hand rails,elevator buttons.

It's a lot like the cold virus, I thnk it's more prevalent in colder months when our immune systems seem to be weaker and buildings and homes are closed up.

Be cautious...don't be paranoid !

We will be on the Island Princess in Alaska in August and was wondering if norovirus is still a problem?

Hi Wendy and Peter!

There were several measures evident on the 12/10-12/20 Panama Canal cruise on the Coral. 1) On arrival, there was a notice in the "mailbox" outside each cabin discussing the virus and requesting that, if there were any symptoms, to call the medical center immediately. They stressed that there would be no charge for this (they were obviously very serious about containing any possible outbreak). 2) There were hand sanitizer stations at the entrances to the Horizon Court and on the wall on the way out to the Lido Deck. 3) In addition, there was always a ship's crewman offering anticeptic wipes as we re-boarded in every port.

We also overheard a conversation in the companionway between a deck steward and a guest. He husband had been throwing up quite a bit and was pretty sick. The steward informed her that there was a special team that would be right up.

Except for the situation above (and it could have been anything), we never heard of any problems during the cruise.

I think that's what has kept us healthy so far on cruises - always washing our hands AFTER eating in the buffet.

Of course, we wash beforehand too, but I believe it's the fact that we've washed AFTER touching all those serving spoons in the buffet that has kept us noro-free so far.

You are right about serving spoons.

I got my Norwalk 3 days out to sea and I remember I ate at noon in Horizon Court....using the serving spoons then taking plate to the table of salad and fresh peeled fruit +roll and butter....I had washed my hands before entering the food court....but what I should have done was to have had a disinfectant wipe with me. Now thats how I could have caught it because one butters the roll and holds it in ones fingers then to the mouth.The rest of the trip I did not go to the food court because of the problem I had had,but we live and learn....next time I will take extra precautions.

Archived