Contacting people on-board ship

gatour

E-mail is available and it is more affordable than a phone call - buy a package for the best deal. A fax is also available, but it is almost as expensive as a phone call. When I travel, I leave a voice mail and e-mail auto-responder to send an e-mail for the fastest response while I am out of town. I check my e-mail in the mornings and evenings and people are pleased that they can still contact me and get a timely response while I am gone.

Best Regards,

Julia

Julia, I agree about email and give my personal email account information to my mananger and almost always buy whatever internet package the cruiseline offers so I can check my personal email account.

Luckily at this point in my career the possible need for them to call me has decreased, but there was a point a few years ago that my knowledge was so specialized that I was the only person in 100,000+ employee company that had it. If we had a production outage I could get things running in 10 to 15 minutes and it was something I could walk someone through on the phone. I still remember walking arond Walt Disney World on a cell phone having someone executing commands and telling me what they saw and then tell them what to do. If someone was only minimally trained it could take hours upon hours for them to get to root cause.

You may ask why didn't I train others, I did but about the time they got up to decent proficiency, the company would have a round off layoffs (they were/are yearly occurances) and my backup would be one of the ones laid off.

Because of that I always give my managers as much contact information as possible. Luckily these days it is not as imperative. Hopefully I just did not jinx myself. :)

Archived