Princess vs. HAL landtour ACCOMODATIONS

JRoeT

Hello,

I buried this question a the end of another thread. Budget Queen was quick to provide some info on the Denali Lodge (Thanks, BQ!!).

Any others who would be able to describe the Princess lodges vs. the HAL/Westmarks?

I'm most interested in each line's accomodations in Fairbanks, Denali, Seward, and Kenai.

Here's my original query:

Can anyone comment on the differences between Princess-owned hotels and the HAL-owned Westmarks? Is there a difference in quality? Comfort? Better locations? Better views? Better amenities? Better restaurants?

We will likely do a cruisetour with HAL (most likely due to the itinerary being best for us) or Princess (second most likely).

Regardless of what others may think, the caliber of the hotel will be important to us.

I haven't read or seen much mention of the hotels in HAL's literature, whereas Princess seems to really have them featured front-and-center in its marketing lit. So it makes me wonder if the Princess hotels are much nicer?

Any comments are appreciated.

JRoeT

We had high hopes for the Princess Denali Lodge, but those hopes were dashed right away. Don't put stock in any ad pictures. For example, I knew through CC that the property wasn't anything spectacular, but my DH loves the wilderness "look". The pictures show their main lodge and "I" got the impression that we'd have some memorable down time relaxing while overlooking the scenery. Not from within the lodge we wouldn't.

The only public spot would have been out on the deck, but the weather just wasn't condusive for that! The lodge is more on the street, not over the ravine.

The rooms are just motels with nice exteriors. VERY NOISY!

In Fairbanks, we were placed out of Princesses property and were in the Bear Lodge. Very nice!

How about independent?

You do have to cut back a notch on expectations in Alaska Lodging in my opinion. You just are NOT going to get it. :) Also be aware- the cruise tour properties are big impersonal properties, who's only goal is to accommatate the large numbers of people who pass through. Actually Princess essentially ran out of "space" at the Denali Princess and kind of set up the McKinley Princess as a holding area, that absorbed the overflow. Problem is, they have the bulk of their tours only including the worthless Natural History tour and many times not enough time at the Denali Park location for any other.

If the property is your priority, I suggest, book yourself, since you have no control over what you get with a cruisetour. In Denali Park- the top properties are the Denali Bluff and Grand Denali. But the Touch of Wilderness B&B is just spectacular and right up there. Talkeetna- Talkeetna Alaska is probably your only choice. Fairbanks- Bear Lodge is wonderful, I like the Aspen, althought might be a notch down for you?? Anchorage- Hilton very nice, Cpt. Cook- historic.

Thank you so much for your responses, Budget Queen and IrishEileen!

Have either of you (or anyone!) stayed at the Princess resort in Kenai? Same deal? (an average motel with "glamour shots" for the brochure! hahaha!)

Hi JRoeT, we have booked the Diamond Princess for July 07 and have the same concerns as you. We really want to do a post-cruise landtour, but the Princess Lodges don't get good reviews on tripadvisor at all. From what I've read, independent is the way to go??

Pat

Hi JRoeT, we have booked the Diamond Princess for July 07 and have the same concerns as you. We really want to do a post-cruise landtour, but the Princess Lodges don't get good reviews on tripadvisor at all. From what I've read, independent is the way to go??

Pat

Friends we were traveling with didn't want to go independent (darn, why did I even ask them?) so we did the Princess Landtour. I really did not feel rushed at all---but we had 2 nights denali and two nights Fairbanks and got the red-eye out of Fairbanks. We all didn't like the denali Princess. I would go independant and pick your properties and tours!!

Eileen

Thank you so much for your responses, Budget Queen and IrishEileen!

Have either of you (or anyone!) stayed at the Princess resort in Kenai? Same deal? (an average motel with "glamour shots" for the brochure! hahaha!)

The Kenai Princess is very nice. BUT determine for you, if going to Alaska is to sit out in the middle of nowhere??? This property is 40 miles from Seward- so you are fixed on their shuttle schedule. This area is best for those with a fishing priority, Russian and Kenai River's are top areas. :)

If Seward is your priority- stay there, there are plenty of activites to consider and it makes no sense to go back and forth especially without your own transportation.

From what I've read, independent is the way to go??

Pat

Yes, IF of interest for you. Extremely simple to plan with accurate information on this board. You NEVER see any postings from independent Alaska visitors, wishing they'd gone on a cruisetour instead. Consistant raves.

Archived