Port Canaveral - Budget Dropoff Question

jtmalt

A slightly different question, if anyone knows the answer...

We're flying into Orlando the day before our trip, renting from Budget at MCO and driving to Port Canaveral for an overnight stay at the Radisson. I'd like to drop the car off at Budget in Port Canaveral that evening, and take the Radisson Shuttle over to the port in the morning.

If I drop the car off at Budget, can I walk back to the Radisson? It looks like it's only a couple of blocks away on Google Maps, but it's hard to tell if there's a safe walkway or if it's a busy commercial highway. If anyone's got first-hand knowledge of the area, I'd appreciate it. (I'd prefer not to juggle around with dropping the car off in the morning and taking the Budget shuttle to the port).

We've done both; 1st time - took the Radisson shuttle, 2nd time - dropped car off at Budget the morning of cruise then took their shuttle to the port.

Just my experience and opinon...I would do the latter again! It was cruiser's chaos at the Radisson that morning. Even with scheduled times for the shuttle, lots of shoving and yelling.

The time we went to Budget we were the only ones there. DH loves to go early, around 9:30am. The Budget driver had a call from a family waiting for pick up at the Disney port so he waited for us to finish our paper work then took us on his way to pick them up. Very friendly and courteous.

As for the walk, I don't think it would be a bad walk but I don't remember sidewalks. It is only 1/2 mile away and on the other side of the road. I'm going there in 2 weeks for my HS reunion so I can check unless someone else can answer this for you. Also, be sure to check their hours of operation to see if it would be convenient.

The Radisson shuttle was very disorganized when we took it last year and that's why this year we're driving and parking at the pier even though we're staying there. I personally wouldn't use their shuttle again. We had a less than pleasant experience. We take the auto train from VA so we have our car with us. I have seen several posts from people who have dropped their rental cars and used the rental car co shuttle to get back to the port and have heard good things about how quick it is.

• 2 weeks later...

We used Budget a year ago April and it was excellent. We did not stay in Cocoa Beach (will next time) and dropped our car at the Budget location on Saturday morning. The location was so convenient and within minutes, we were on our way to the port. From reading other posts, it sounds like the Radisson shuttle is pretty busy on cruise days. I would just keep your car the extra night and drop it off in the morning. I think we dropped our car off around 10ish...people were waiting for our car that had just gotten off a cruise.

jtmalt,

just got back from Port Canaveral last night. Radisson and Budget are on the same side of the street about a mile apart maybe less. And yes there sidewalks and it is very safe to walk on either side of the street. Traffic is light and we even crossed the street many times safely. When we were checking out Sunday at noon, there were over 50 cruisers waiting for the shuttle. The port is about 2 miles away and would be a very cheap taxi ride.

Any more questions, feel free to ask. Hope this helps.

Teresa

I walk a lot and it is about 1/2 mile...only 6 or so buildings away...about 10 minutes on a sidewalk, safe, same side of street. When I dropped my rental off once I arrived at the Radisson, the budget guy was going to give me a ride back to hotel. I laughed and said, "I can see it from here! By the time I get into your van, you take left turn and cross over median, I can be back already swimming in the pool!" Still nice though he offered the free ride!

Coka

Archived