Barcelona to Paris?

tropicalkerry2002

Our cruise next year ends in Barcelona, where we will spend 2 nights. We just had an idea of perhaps going from there to Paris for 2-3 nights. I googled airfares and a discount type site came up with prices of 24-32Euros one way. I googled train fares and the prices were $300AM and up. This airfare seems amazing, and I wonder if I'm missing something...has anyone ever done this flight or used a discount airline? This one was easyjet.com.

Thanks,

Marian

Hi Marian,

I have never used Easyjet but it's a very well known budget airline in Europe. It's not unusual to find these kind of fares for intra-Europe flights in these budget airlines. If you have decided that you want to visit Paris I would book before the fare goes away.

Amazing, but not unusual.

We recently returned from a Baltic cruise, and here are a few examples of air fares:

1. Brussels - Copenhagen (to embarcation) $39 o/w on SAS

2. Stockholm - Brussels (return) $60 o/w on SAS ... it's a longer flight

3. BRU - Berlin $80 r/t on SN Brussels

And the rest of the story ...

1. Taxes and fees were almost equal to or sometimes more than the fares ... still a real bargain when comparing to U.S. fares.

2. These inexpensive tickets are no change/non-refundable. Our flight to BRU from JFK was delayed and we missed the BRU-CPH connection. The (new) tickets were about $250 a pop, total $500 for the two of us. I still would have taken the chance if I had to do it again.

What I normally do is check Expedia or Orbitz for airlines & fares, and then go directly to the airline site(s) to do the booking.

since you're a fellow Canadian, and heading to Paris too, thought you might let me know if you've done any research, and where YOU"VE decided to stay in Paree. Merci.

Marian

Well. If we were paying for it, I'd probably try and stay at Hotel Muguet (I think that's the correct spelling). I've had a lot of recommendations for that hotel. But we'll be using Starwood Points, so probably the Westin.

:eek: Baggage allowance is dramatically lower within Europe. DH and I have used Easyjet and Ryanair several times and found them very efficient, however, they are ruthless about weighing both checked backs and carry-ons and will charge you for every extra kilo. On one recent trip, DH paid more for one heavy suitcase than for both our tickets combined. Check their baggage allowance policy carefully before booking and do not expect them to waive any fees. Other than that, they are clean, safe and have a good on-time record.

I don't know why we've been so lucky--probably because we smile a lot and make sure to interact with the airport personnel--but we've flown dozens of flights inside Europe and were only charged for luggage overage once. On our flight last week from Barcelona to Seville, the total charge for our flight, including taxes and fees, was $42 each. I don't know of anywhere in the U.S. where I can fly approx 600 miles and only pay $42. Our bags were not weighed (probably due to the chaos in the airports following the new no-liquids prohibitions from the U.K. to the U.S.), but Iberia allows passengers to check a 44 pound suitcase. We were definitely over because it was at the end of our trip, but 44 pounds is not too much lower than the 50 pound restrictions by the U.S. carriers. However, if we had been charged, the luggage overage fee was 5 Euros per kilo (approx $6.5 for every two pounds over). So when we considered the low cost of the flight, calculated approximately $150 total if we were charged for luggage overages, and consider the time saved by taking the flight instead of using the train (which was still at least 6 hours saved even after adding the time to arrive two hours before our flight), the low-cost flight worked well for us and was cheaper than the train. As a general rule of thumb, we take the train if the ride is 5 hours or less.

Happy travels to all,

Donna

Archived