Comparing X And Rccl From The Dwecks Of The Grandeur

tuggers

Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Princess & HAL are all mid-level, mass market cruise lines offering a very similair cruising experience at comparable fares. IMHO, the OP went on this cruise with pre conceived expectations that RCCL was inferior to X, and she found every possible reason to justify this. GF & I (in our late 30's) have cruised 11 times in the last 5 years with X (3), Princess (2), and RCCL (6). To suggest that one line is a notch above another is ridiculous. Anyone who truly believes this is simply biased. All have strengths and weaknesses. As I said in my earlier (deleted) post, to truly experience cruising at a higher level, go with Crystal, Seabourn, or Silversea - but plan on spending 3x more. Happy cruising all :)

I think you were a little rough on Tuggers, Voyager70, although you are also entitled to your opinion. I think Gail said some nice things about Grandeur. Which brings me to my point. I do agree with another poster on this thread. It isn't really fair to compare LINES. I would prefer to compare ships. The same old Celebrity vs. Royal Caribbean line comparison is a tired argument in my opinion. There are so many things I loved and hated about the two Celebrity ships I have been on (and not the same things on either ship) and so many things I loved and hated on the 3 Royal Caribbean ships I have been on. Again, different things on different ships from service to food to entertainment and activities - note our staterooms were better/cleaner/larger and prettier on RCCL, but they were newer ships (does anyone get this? There are so many things you CAN'T compare because of examples like this). I'm trying Princess next. If I could combine a bunch of things from each SHIP, I would have the perfect cruise for ME. Until then, I am going to cruise every ship I can afford and go as many different places as possible. How bad can a cruise be on any ship?!?:confused: :D ;)

I enjoyed my trip on Grandeur and would sail her again if the ports and price were good. The things that I found to be lacking in RCI's service and food are purely my opinions based on about 50 cruises with X, HAL, Princess, Carnival, and some one ship lines. I have attempted to tell you about things that I think are of interest to people who sail on X and are considering RCI.

tuggers - I owe you an apology. I lambasted you and your review in a post on our Grandeur - Halloween cruise. I made some nasty and probably personal remarks, for that I'm sorry. I did that before reading your wrap up of the cruise. It was just that following along on your live review that you were just doing nothing but putting RCI down. I got the impression that you were a pompous so and so with her nose above everyone else. I am truly sorry! But I still don't think it is fair to compare RCI to X, maybe if you had just made it a review and not a comparison I wouldn't have taken offense to it! Sorry! All in all I think your review made some interesting points.

I won't blame you if you get upset by this post!

Happy cruisin' and reviewin'...

Jack :o

Jack, thanks for the apology. I knew you were going through a rough health time so did not want to respond that you had hurt my feelings. Then we just start going back and forth and we all get our posts pulled. I do, however, very much appreciate your reconsideration of my postings.

I put these comparisons (and I've done a few) on the X boards because for a couple of years I did a lot of those and I know more people on this board. So I go from the perspective of an X client wanting to broaden their scope.

I'm sorry if that made you think that I was biased and just bashing. I wanted to say, if you are used to this on X, you may not get it, but this is what you will get. I like to know what I am getting in to and what to expect on new ships and new lines. I much prefer the smaller ships so most of my comparisons are between those types of ships.

BTW, one of the worst cruise experiences I ever had was on an X ship so I certainly know that they are not the end all and be all in cruising.

When I cruise, I like to send reports back. It's fun for me and I hope fun for others to read. I don't sit around taking notes so I just do a daily, usually at night when I'm in my cabin and running the day through my head. I have never had anyone say this isn't the place for that sort of thing until this time. The people who emailed me privately and said they were sorry for those few and to keep doing what I do best, led me to believe that others enjoy my posts. And if someone can get a little insight into a ship or a line that helps them make a better decision on a cruise, then all the better.

I do appreciate every one who made positive comments either on this board or to me privately. And I certainly never mind anyone who has bone to pick with anything I've said as long as they ar not just trying to be hurtful and mean spirited which, Jack, I don't think you were being. Open, respectful discussion is what the majority of us are looking for on CC.

So, for those, who like my posts, I say 'Thank you' and they will be coming again from the Z starting 10/21. For those of you that I annoy, there is a wonderful thing on this board called 'ignore'. You can go in to your User CP, select that option and you will never have to see another post from me. Isn't technology wonderful?:D

Happy Cruising!

When I cruise, I like to send reports back. It's fun for me and I hope fun for others to read. I don't sit around taking notes so I just do a daily, usually at night when I'm in my cabin and running the day through my head.

Hi Tuggers!

It is possible (or perhaps even likely) that you haven't seen any of the "LIVE" posts by Radio over on the RCCL board. He has earned quite a reputation for posting reports and pictures from his cruises. You can see an index of his threads here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=399419

Just FYI... :)

Theron

So, for those, who like my posts, I say 'Thank you' and they will be coming again from the Z starting 10/21. For those of you that I annoy, there is a wonderful thing on this board called 'ignore'. You can go in to your User CP, select that option and you will never have to see another post from me. Isn't technology wonderful?:D

Happy Cruising!

Tuggers:

I like your posts.

You're welcome.

BUT...thank you for always taking the time and making the effort to share your (many) cruising experiences and (considerable) knowledge with all of us. When I see your threads and posts, I always know that what follows will be worthwhile reading. You're right....technology is wonderful....and I for one will use it to continue to follow your adventures!

Kevin

Hi Tuggers!

It is possible (or perhaps even likely) that you haven't seen any of the "LIVE" posts by Radio over on the RCCL board. He has earned quite a reputation for posting reports and pictures from his cruises.

Theron

WoW.. Thanks Theron... I need to add you to my payroll :D

I know that I love tuggers posts....:rolleyes:

She always has some very excellent posts on the Celebrity Boards ! ! I'm sure our paths may cross some day, so I can buy her a Cappacino onboard RCI or -X-....;)

Tuggers keep up the great work... and watch for my "LIVE" Grandeur Posts starting 09-29-06.

Radio

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Tuggers, Thanks for the interesting review and comparison of Celebrity to its parent company RCCL. Had a few earlier posts pulled so I just thought I would say hi! The example that you set on the March Mercury bleach cruise is a great example to all, that change can be accomplished if you are not afraid to stand up for what is right. Thanks again for your inspiration.

Archived