advice for a diabetic

Silver Streak

We are booked on a Princess Cruisetour in July, 2007. My husband is an insulin-dependent diabetic. We were wondering if anyone had any tips or advice for our trip as to traveling on the airplane, taking sidetrips, etc. that we might need to take into consideration. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We normally vacation by car so traveling by plane and boat with his diabetis will be new to us. Thanks for any help you can give us. :)

I know I've seen some threads on this subject. Do a search of these boards with keywords and you'll find information! The search button can be found along the top of each page. You won't have to narrow it down to the Alaska board-any board might have the info you need.

Eileen

The first thing that I would do is to talk to your doctor and or your diabetes care clinic (if you use one). They should have a wealth of info about traveling with diabetes. You don't identify where you are flying from, but if you are changing several time zones, adjusting insulin and juggling meals can be tricky.

I would also be calling the airline to notify them that he will be flying with insulin. With the new ban on liquids on the plane they need to know ahead of time. (You might have to get a note from his MD stating that he needs to carry that with him. They also might like to know if it needs to be refrigerated.

I would recommend that you carry snacks with you to avoid an insulin reaction if a meal doesn't arrive at the expected time. Is he on a sliding scale for his insulin and has a good understanding of how to adjust it? Also does he know what insulin reaction feels like?

My bs were totally under control during the cruise, but hubby would not let me take the elevator, so I did "stairs" constantly. I was experiencing lower sugar levels and I was even eating dessert. :p

I talked to another diabetic and he was having the same experience, eating what he wanted and having low sugar levels due to an increase in activity.

Be sure to notify the cruise line that he is diabetic and would like diabetic meals. There are an array of diabetic main dishes/desserts available on the cruises. They have taken cooking with Splenda to a higher art form.

Deb

I just returned from Alaska via Celebrity Mercury on the 15th and I am a Type 1 diabetic. I had no problems whatsoever finding appropriate foods on the main menu or at the buffet, and felt no need to notify the cruise line. They always have sugarfree desserts and even sugarfree pancake syrup. :D

I always carry my meter, strips, insulin, syringes and candy with me wherever I go.

You also do not need to notify the airport. They are trained to recognize diabetic essentials and I've never been questioned or stopped. Just make sure any medications in carry-on bags have original prescription labels.

Have a great cruisetour and try not to worry too much!

WE jsut returned from a 18 day cruisetour to Alaska I am a diabetic and I take four types of insulin and 7 shots a day and had no trouble at all. I came home and my sugar was perfectly normal. Just keep your insulin ,needles and test supplies with you at all time not packed in a checked bag that can be delayed getting to you I kept mine in my small carry on all the time and it went everywhere I went. Also get note from your doctor that states why you carry syringes in case you are ever questioned about their use do these things and you will be fine. I evne cheated on my diet and I was fine. Have a great trip and dont worry.

Nancy

That's very good advice, Katybird. I always clip my needles but Celebrity mentioned in their newsletter that you shouldn't put them in the trash. A sharps container would be the proper disposal.

My partner and I traveled on Celebrity's Summit on 9/9. I am diabetic. I just monitor regularly, and have a pretty good handle on adjusting insulin dosages for food intake and activity. The activity on the cruise no doubt helps. Generally, I eat what I want and adjust accordingly. My only problem was waking up with high glucose occasionally, but after doing the initial adjustment, I could keep it normal for the balance of the day. If you let Celebrity know your "special needs," they will provide a sharps container in your cabin and a refrigerator for your insulin, if there is not one in your class of cabin already. During the day, I just keep my sharps in a ziplock bag in the carrying case I use for all my supplies. I just dumped it all into the sharps container whenever I was in the cabin. Celebrity does have sugar free or low sugar options on their regular menus in the dining room(s). Just make sure you carry plenty of insulin along and plan accordingly. The only downside to eating the way you want on a cruise (at least in my experience) is that insurance companies only cover you for so much insulin in a given period, depending on your prescription. You can run through it pretty quickly if you are running through bigger doses for week or whatever. I'm currently watching my intake very carefully post-cruise so that my "insulin budget" for the prescription period balances out. Try to get your doctor to be liberal in writing your prescription if he/she is not doing so already.

Archived