Zuiderdam comments 7/3 - 7/10 cruise

Shirt-man

My experience on the Zui last August was quite different than the ones written about here. It was hot and humid in the Wes Carib, naturally , but the AC was fine throughout the ship--and I'm extremely hot- natured. The food was very good- no complaints. Prompt service. There were children aboard but not masses and not unruly. I didn't use the pools much so can't say about them. No noise, no lack of privacy, no crowded feeling most of the time. The photo gallery is definitely to be avoided at mealtimes. Ridiculously crowded. But the rest of the ship was not and it was fully booked, I believe. One does not have to go through the shops to go anywhere. I would happily sail her again. Very relaxing. SS cabin on Nav deck was wonderful, quiet, extremely well-serviced by Bambang. I almost backed out of the Zui because of this board and am so glad I did not. I will always take everything here with a grain of salt. After all, we're all different, right?

In addition to your experience of the Zui's food, service, and AC, what other areas/subjects suffered from what you believe to be misinformation? I'm particularly interested in the swarming packs of rabid, noisey, messy, wild, inconsiderate sub-humans that people sometimes like to call "children.

Also ... perhaps it might be a bit more charitable to say that your experience didn't match with the experience others? :) One person's experience may appear to another person to be "mis-information," and yet both are being honest and truthful in expressing their experiences.

Well said, revneal! What bothers some people doesn't affect others in least, and I think it's important to keep that in mind. I don't think anyone should cancel their cruise based on the opinions of the posters on these boards.

You don't want to sail with a lot of children - I completely understand - I think the Zui had the most kids on board that I've ever seen - our sailing had about 400. There seemed to be many older teens, ages 15 - 18, which made access to the hot tubs almost impossible. They hung out there all day & night. Keep in mind, we sailed in late August, school had not started yet. I've read other threads indicating a non-existent kid population, particularly in Jan-Feb.

My biggest issue with the ship is the size - it is just too big for my taste. It was at capacity when we sailed and we really noticed it.

Keep in mind, we sailed in late August, school had not started yet. I've read other threads indicating a non-existent kid population, particularly in Jan-Feb.

Because I prefer to avoid a large swarm of kids I generally don't cruise during the time of the year that they're out of school, regardless of the ship. Hence, I cruised Alaska in September. I also take longer cruises, where children are far less common. IF I were to ever cruise on the Zuiderdam, it would be during a time when most kids will be in school. However, for now I'm going to avoid the Zui.

My biggest issue with the ship is the size - it is just too big for my taste. It was at capacity when we sailed and we really noticed it.

And that's a second issue for me. I prefer the size of the S and R class ships. I'm willing to try out a Vista ship (the Westerdam or the Oosterdam), but I'll do so during a time of the year when most kids will be in school.

I am not really sure of the point your making regarding my "quote" concerning Mis-Information.

However, last year it was written the ship was extremely dirty for a new ship, the decor was horrible and the vibration in the dinning made dishes fall off the table and people couldn't talk to each other due to the load vibration noise...children running rapid throughout the ship, the ship is too big, the food is worse, the service is lousy...but when we arrived on the ship for our Sept. 25, 2003 cruise non of what has been written was true.

Thus, taking the belief everyone's view is different, what I may think is NO big deal, others may think its the end of the world and it ruin there cruise vacation. That is why I posted my reply regarding making your own decisions.

-V26

Also ... perhaps it might be a bit more charitable to say that your experience didn't match with the experience others? :) One person's experience may appear to another person to be "mis-information," and yet both are being honest and truthful in expressing their experiences.

Agreed !!! Do wonders never cease :)

I am not really sure of the point your making regarding my "quote" concerning Mis-Information.

However, last year it was written the ship was extremely dirty for a new ship, the decor was horrible and the vibration in the dinning made dishes fall off the table and people couldn't talk to each other due to the load vibration noise...children running rapid throughout the ship, the ship is too big, the food is worse, the service is lousy...but when we arrived on the ship for our Sept. 25, 2003 cruise non of what has been written was true.

Thus, taking the belief everyone's view is different, what I may think is NO big deal, others may think its the end of the world and it ruin there cruise vacation. That is why I posted my reply regarding making your own decisions.

-V26

V26-

I think it's important to keep in mind that although you did not experience any of those things on your cruise, others may have... we cruised about a month before you - and we found many of those things to be accurate.

You are certainly entitled to post that you found the cruise & the ship to be outstanding - I'm glad it was!

For those of you who had positive experiences - great! That should take nothing away from the fact that some of us didn't - if we post such, why should we be discredited? Just because we didn't have a "great" experience?

I think that's the point that some of us are trying to make... yours was great, ours wasn't... we don't deny you by saying "oh, she's wrong, the ship stinks - don't listen to the positive comments, they're just trying to make you think your cruise will be great! When you get aboard, you'll see, you'll absolutely hate it"

See what I mean? :)

I'm glad you had a great time & shared it on these boards - that's what it's all about.

:) Good morning, Very interesting review and replies too.

I have a question...I will be sailing 9-11...most (operative word) most schools are back in session....do you think (educated guess)the amount of kids are going to be less than in the summer on this ship...as on most ships?....I have sailed the Caribbean in the middle of January, the middle of May and the middle of July(never again). I am thinking the middle of September should be sort of like January...and I don't mind kids either.

This will be the largest ship I will have been on to date. For me, this cruise happened on short notice...was supposed to be going on Horizon to Bermuda.

Now, I know the Horizon is very small (compared to the Zuiderdam and a lot of others as well).

So, it will be a new experience for me....and I am looking forward to it. I don't know if she will be "too large" for my taste or not....the photos I have seen of her are appealing to me...and the price point was awesome:D .

Again, for me, it is nice to read different opinions about things...makes me realize how different we all are ....and that doesn't make me right and you wrong..or vice-versa....it says we are different...and can you imagine if we were all the same?;) Things would be too boring (in my opinion:) ).

After reading all thses posts about this ship, I feel it is time for my two cents worth. We sailed the Zuiderdam last sept. Before we left I had read all these posts about how bad it was. Vibration, smells, dirt and poor service to name a few. I have been on 14 cruises from Seabourn to Ncl. This was my first on HAL. Trust me this was about the best cruise I have ever been on. We had an ss suite. Bambang was our steward, enough said there. Service in the dining room was superb. We also went to the pinnacle grill and we felt the food in the dining room was just as good. Room service on time and hot. We loved the piano bars and the crows nest. We went to one of the piano bars on monday night ordered drinks, the waiter gave me my check and said thank you Mr. Joe. We went back two nights later, the waiter remembered our names and what we were drinking.That is just one example of the kind of service and treatment we recieved.Needless to say we will be on the Zuiderdam again on Sept 11th this year.

The only negative thing I could say about this cruise were a few of the pompus arrogant passengers who treated the staff like their personal slaves.

We sometimes forget that the waiters and stewards are from third world countries. They work tremendous hours for little pay and poor living conditions. I am continually amazed at their attitude,work ethic, commitment and their willingness to go the extra mile. A kind word, a warm handshake makes both passenger and staff feel good, and virtually guarantees superb service.

For all you people who complain about the kids. Don't travel in the summer.

In regards to kids, I think a few years back you could say it was "safe" that ships wouldn't have a lot of children onboard during off season while school was in session. I believe that this fall this is not the case. I had trouble finding triple occupancy space on, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess & Celebrity ships for the Caribbean this fall. The prices this summer was more than I wanted to pay. I think that due to the prices going back up after the travel lull following 9/11, that parents are choosing to take the kids out of school to take advantage of the lower pricing in the fall. I'm not saying that the ships will be overrun with children, but you will see more children on the ships "off-season" than previous years. I, for one, have done exactly that. I couldn't pass up the great pricing on the Zuiderdam for 10/2 - We are booked in a Verandah at a fantastic rate and our DD's cruise fare was free.

:) Joerey, hi...we have a nice Roll Call going for the Sept 11th sailing....we would love you to join us:D

tas, thanks for your input about the kids:)...I appreciate it.

Archived