Just back from Voyager 9-day (very long, part one)

I just booked my very first cruise -- I'm going with my father and 16 year old nephew. Any information would be of great help in helping me get ready for this totally new experience. I'll be setting sail on the Aug. 27th Voyager out of NJ. Thanks in advance to everyone!:)

When doing the Falls excursion off of the ship, how do you dress? Do you need to wear a bathing suit? Or should you wear it under your shorts? How bout the watershoes--do you just wear them off the ship or bring them along to change? Is there anyplace to change? I hear you get wet so there must be some kind of changing facility?

Thanks! Voyager on 6/16/04

Spanky

We have never been on one of these mega ships and are thinking about trying it. Did you feel like you were in a crowd a lot? What were some of the things that you had to wait in line for. Do you have any pros and cons to offer on the big ships. Is it like a busy city or is it relaxing? Was there an overwhelming amount of kids on board? Thanks for any help in making our decision. We are thinking of going next July 1 so I'm figuring the crowd would be about the same makeup as you had.

isis: Aside from the tender crowd (long lines both getting off the ship and, if you come back at the last minute, getting a tender back to the ship) and the crowd at the pool deck on sea days, Voyager seemed to handle the crowds very well. There were always plenty of seats in the theater, and except at peak hours, the lines in the buffet were not awful. I do recall that on one sea day my nieces had to wait an hour to go rock climbing, but on most days, including the day we docked, they had no more than a few minutes wait at most. However, you have to temper my answer with the fact that we didn't go to some of the events that might have been most crowded -- i.e., the parades in the Promenade, and Karaoke -- since they were too late for the family as a whole, and we tend to want to do things together.

Mom8386: I don't have first-hand knowledge about the parking, since my sister dropped us off then parked the car. However, the bayonne website says that the parking is cash only, no credit cards or checks accepted

pumbaa70: The pools on Voyager are still salt water, at least for now.

thanks for the review, we leave Aug 13, Great tips, informative, good insite, which is what we look forward to in any review, I'll let you know how we do when we return, again, thanks

Hi, I'm leaving Aug 13 also, and I'm from SI!

Susie

pumbaa...we will be going under the Verrazano bridge. I saw pictures of the ship going under the bridge, it looks awesome, it barely clears by 20 ft.

Looking forward to seeing that for myself tomorrow night:D

Actually you'd probably crash into the Tappan Zee Bridge 140 miles south of Albany.

But seriously, Bayonne, is north of Staten Island, and there is no other way out of the Harbor, except under the bridge!

Haha...

I was referring to NJSKIandCRUISEGUY's comment about running aground near Albany if the ship went in the wrong direction: there are several bridges under which the Voyager wouldn't fit well before Albany. NO CRUISE, no matter where it is going, can leave NY Harbor w/o going under the VERAZZANO-NARROWS Bridge first!!

Most frustrating, the movie theater on Deck 2 showed three really good movies that we would have liked to watch together -- Master and Commander, Lord of the Rings Return of the King, and Cheaper By The Dozen -- but they only showed them once each RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF PORT DAYS. (Incidentally, this was also the only time they had another activity that we usually do as a family on a cruise -- line dance lessons). Why in God's name would they run movies ONLY when the vast majority of people were off the ship? Doesn't it occur to them that some of us might have liked to see them on sea days, particularly as an alternative to the madness of the pool deck?

I'm glad you commented on this, and I hope RCCL is listening (reading)! The hardest thing for us in chosing a cruise is finding one to fit the diverse personalities that are "US." We have 2 sons who are polar opposites - one into athletics/outdoors, the other into Trivia, music, movies, etc. And, on our last cruise (Radiance) I personally found myself wandering into the movie theater occasionally between activities just b/c it sounded good to me - to sit in the dark & relax for awhile and watch a movie. They should schedule movies to run all day & into the evening as another option for their passengers. And they should definitely offer games for more than just the "Adults Only" and "Kids Only" crowd! We loved the Trivia & Name that Tune games, yet they were always scheduled at the WORST times (not to mention only once every few days) and, like, as you said, opposite dance lessons, or shore times. If you are catering to families - offer options for every member of the family!

Radiance did great at this for the most part - altho' the scheduling was an issue at times. They actually had a bona fide movie theater - something I understand the Voyager does NOT have. But, Radiance does not have that ice skating rink!

We are looking forward to giving Voyager a try.

Thanks for the review.

Carol B

Jennifers:

From the RCI website:

"What are the dress codes onboard?

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are: Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4-night cruises include one formal night and two or three casual nights.

5 - nights include one formal, one smart casual and three casual nights.

7-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and four casual nights.

10, 11, and 12-night cruises include three formal nights and three smart casual nights, all other nights are casual.

14 and 15-night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights. All other nights are casual.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children."

Carol

Archived