Vision of the Seas Cabin

I'm getting ready to book our July, 2005 Alaska cruise on Vision of the Seas. My travel agent insists on booking a 'guarantee' balcony room. However, I've always booked 'a cabin' and not a 'guarantee' in the past. Would some of you tell me which way you prefer and if booking a guarantee really got you upgraded or if you ended up being sorry you hadn't chosen a particular cabin. And for those of you who prefer a particular cabin would you tell me which cabin you prefer and why. Thanks for your help ------------------I know this will be our one and only shot at Alaska and I'm trying not to make any mistakes.

We have NEVER recieved an upgrade by booking a guarantee.(our first 3 cruises), but we never recieved a BAD cabin either.........just the category we paid for...........we now book specifically the cabin we want, so we can have the cabin we want...........

Jim

bearrabbit:

Don't know what category you are looking at or want............and Alaska is the one itinerary we haven't done................

Someone who has been to Alaska will be in a better position to answer this than me.

Since it is Alaska, I would definetly get a balcony cabin for the scenery you are going to see.

We have booked the Vision for the Mexican Riviera in October of 2005......

Good Luck

Jim

Our last cruise was on Vision of the seas. At the last minute (maybe a month or so) we decided to upgrade from an outside cabin mid ship to a balcony cabin towards the aft portion of the ship.

We were really glad we went with the balcony. We had done Alaska before in an outside cabin and it was fine. But with the balcony, you had your own private area for viewing the scenery without having to jockey for position on deck or fight the wind that can get pretty strong and be pretty cold up top.

The only issue we had was there was limited selection of balcony's when we booked. We were two cabins from the end of the ship and directly over one of the lounges. The music went on late into the night and we got to listen to and feel the bass from the band until they stopped. It made it more difficult for us to sleep and enjoy the cruise. Next time, I'll book the balcony much earlier and make sure I'm not above one of the lounges.

There was an article in Conde Nast Traveler magazine last year on best cabins to book, and for the Vision, they recommended the cabins on the stern as thier balconies are almost double in size. In particular the aft coner cabins were singled out as thier balconies are wraparounds, so you get a good back and side view. That's what we have booked for our Hawaii cruise on Vision.

As a qualifier, I obviously haven't actually been in any of these cabins yet, but there are some good shots of the balocnies at Cruiseclues.com on their Vision of the Seas page, under the webshot links. I also haven't been on the Alaska cruise so I don't know how the ship postions to see the glacier, etc. Still, I hope this gives some help.

Archived