Can you bring Wine?

Nilla

Hello I have searched the Celebrity thread adn could not find a definite yes or no answer! We are doing a three night cruise in a few weeks. I love a glass of wine with dinner when on the ship! When we cruised NCL earlier this year we found out later we could have brought on Wine or Champagne and paid $15 per bottle, and have it served to us in the Dining room. We will be travelling down from Canada the day of the cruise, and I do not want to buy a bunch of wine and find out we can not do this. As we are only allowed to bring one bottle home with us, the wine would just go to waste. Any help from recent cruisers on X woudl be greatly appreciated. THank you!

Hello I have searched the Celebrity thread adn could not find a definite yes or no answer! We are doing a three night cruise in a few weeks. I love a glass of wine with dinner when on the ship! When we cruised NCL earlier this year we found out later we could have brought on Wine or Champagne and paid $15 per bottle, and have it served to us in the Dining room. We will be travelling down from Canada the day of the cruise, and I do not want to buy a bunch of wine and find out we can not do this. As we are only allowed to bring one bottle home with us, the wine would just go to waste. Any help from recent cruisers on X woudl be greatly appreciated. THank you!

The official Celebrity policy, revised earlier this year, is that no alchoholic beverages of any kind may be brought on board. However, the degree to which this policy is enforced appears to vary. There are several threads on this board on the subject, but the bottom line is that most of this "smuggling" seems to be successful. Best of luck if you choose to try it.

smuggle is not the proper term for getting the wine on board.

"Sneaking" is how I would put it. If you are only going to take a few bottles pack it safely in your checked luggage.

Taking a case onboard now needs to be cleared by X prior as I understand it.

Either way should you make it onboard the $15.00 corkage applys still and is in their "Rules" so they must expect you to "Sneak"

a few on board somehow.

and you may bring back 2 750 mil bottles now just as vanman says.

You will enjoy X

good luck

I am a wine drinker and also trying to figure out the cruise line's policy. A fifteen $ fee for corkage is unreasonable in our case, since we usually purchase wines UNDER that price. I guess I'd rather try the selections they have onboard than have to pay double for our regular selections. What is the price range for wine offerred onboard?

When we cruised NCL in January we found a wine we really liked and had it a few nights. It was a Blush wine and with tip and all it was around $31. I was down in Seattle recently and was in a drug store and found the same wine selling there for $2.99 a bottle. So I can buy that then pay $15 and still be saving over $12 a bottle! Wine is very pricey on any ship!

LOL! OK I am not wanting to smuggle it on! I am wanting to pay the money to have it with dinner! So is the anser yes I can do this?

Celebrity's policy is that you may not bring any wine aboard, period.

As others have said, this is sporadically enforced. If you carry it on, it may well be confiscated. If you pack it in your suitcase, you will likely be fine.

Many of us prefer to bring wine openly and pay the corkage. Bottom line is that the "official" policy says no, as of 7/28.

The wines sold onboard ( good selection BTW ) are priced about $10.00 over what you'd pay regular price at a local store.

As an Example 'La Crema' Chardonnay is available at our grocery store for $23.00 a bottle, plus tax. It sells on board for $34.00.

I agree with Caviargal on the inconsistancy with their policy.

However for reference the correct way to bring outside wine onbaord is: First email X with the brand and number of bottles wanted. They may be able to get the wines you want. Also state the price so they know what You would be paying. They will email you back letting you know if they can get it for you, or if you would be allowed to have it delivered or bring it onboard yourself.

If you choose to pack it in your suitcase, please pad it real well, and place it in a large ziplock bag. I've been the victim of other peoples spillages before, and its not fun.

Dave:eek:

No problem last Dec with 4 bottles. Take all the wine you want. You have to take it to the dinning room. They never charged me corkage, but I paid $10 per bottle to the wine steward as a tip. Ran out of wine, and bought more at a port, and they let me take it to my room. Some people brought a 6 pack of beer for the port and they did not take it. Their focus is on hard stuff. Add about $25 to what you could buy a wine for at home, and that is about the ship price.

No problem last Dec with 4 bottles. Take all the wine you want. You have to take it to the dinning room. They never charged me corkage, but I paid $10 per bottle to the wine steward as a tip. Ran out of wine, and bought more at a port, and they let me take it to my room. Some people brought a 6 pack of beer for the port and they did not take it. Their focus is on hard stuff. Add about $25 to what you could buy a wine for at home, and that is about the ship price.

The new policy became effective 7/28/06. I also have had no problems in the past as there was no conflict in policy.

I find the average markup to be 300% or so, less on the finer wines.

We have had no problem with a sytrofoam case box being delivered as part of our luggage to our state room. We gladly pay the $15 corkage fee. They just do not have as good a selection as we would like and it is fun to share something different with your table mates.

There are a few wines on the list under $30 and many in the $30-40 range. Thee typical markup is about 2x the prices I pay in the San Francisco Bay Area. If you live in an area which has inflated wine prices, the mark up will appear smaller to you.

We have had no problem with a sytrofoam case box being delivered as part of our luggage to our state room. We gladly pay the $15 corkage fee. They just do not have as good a selection as we would like and it is fun to share something different with your table mates.

There are a few wines on the list under $30 and many in the $30-40 range. Thee typical markup is about 2x the prices I pay in the San Francisco Bay Area. If you live in an area which has inflated wine prices, the mark up will appear smaller to you.

From your sig, it appears that you have not cruised since the new policy took effect. We also travel with a styrofoam wine shipper and either a case or half case of our favorites, none of which are on X's list.

The OP's question was regarding if she could bring it on without smuggling. The simple answer is that is against policy. If one is comfortable with hiding it or with taking a chance on having it confiscated if brought aboard openly, then that is an individual decision. But her post made it clear she was not looking to sneak.

From your sig, it appears that you have not cruised since the new policy took effect. We also travel with a styrofoam wine shipper and either a case or half case of our favorites, none of which are on X's list.

Our last cruise was in Jan 2006. Has the policy changed since then or has enforcement changed? Our next cruise is not until Sept 2007, so things can change again.

the officail policy has always been no wine allowed, but they did not confiscate our wine box! It is odd to have a corkage fee if you cannot bring your own wine aboard!

Our last cruise was in Jan 2006. Has the policy changed since then or has enforcement changed? Our next cruise is not until Sept 2007, so things can change again.

the officail policy has always been no wine allowed, but they did not confiscate our wine box! It is odd to have a corkage fee if you cannot bring your own wine aboard!

The policy was changed 7/28/06. Previous to that, you were permitted to bring wine not on their list and pay a corkage. That was the official policy.

I agree that it is odd that the corkage still exists but there is some wording that you can have wine delivered from "authorized vendors" to drink aboard. Of course, just try to get the name of that vendor from X:rolleyes:. I have and its a joke.

I just got off of the phone with a customer service rep. He read me the policy and it did not have the "authorized rep" info in it. What he said about the corkage charge was that you can buy wine in the duty free shop and have it sent to the table for a $15 corkage charge. However, you cannot have the wine delivered to your room. Outrageous.

He did say that they are reconsidering the policy. He gave me the 800 # for the "special needs" dept. 1-800 242-6374 and said to call them in the morning for more info. I registered my complaint about being able to take a few bottles of wine on boards to have in my room. I will try the# tomorrow. If anyone else tries this please post info.

We are looking forward to the Mediterranean part of our TA in November. And looking forward to trying new wines that are not available here in PA. I would like to pick up a few bottles as we go - just to try and hopefully enjoy.

I would really hate it if the only way you all know me is the funny lady chug-a-lugging:eek: at dock side to try the new vino- since I can't bring it on board.

I am not interested in bringing it home - I am satisfied with what is available at home.

After much research and even more confusion via these boards on the subject of alcohol.... I just ordered a few bottles of wine and a couple of bottles of liquor for our cabin through Celebrity. Special trip for me and DH (we don't get away alone much). Before I ordered, I asked the CCL rep what the advantage is to purchasing through Celebrity ahead of time, and she said I would be saving gratuity/corkage on the wine purchase and it will all be waiting for us in our cabin when we arrive. The price on the website must also include tax as the total equaled the "list" prices exactly. So, if we DO decide to take the wine to the dining room, we will not have an additional charge for corkage (wanted to confirm that). I will be bringing a corkscrew and 2 mini martini shakers (DH is gin/I prefer vodka) and will get olives/limes/wine and martini glasses from room service. The setup also includes plenty of mixers (I just requested our favorite soft drinks since we are martini purists). I'll do my sampling of other varieties in the famous martini bar. Done - I'll cross this off my list. I feel a bit like a sucker, but it's vacation.

After much research and even more confusion via these boards on the subject of alcohol.... I just ordered a few bottles of wine and a couple of bottles of liquor for our cabin through Celebrity. Special trip for me and DH (we don't get away alone much). Before I ordered, I asked the CCL rep what the advantage is to purchasing through Celebrity ahead of time, and she said I would be saving gratuity/corkage on the wine purchase and it will all be waiting for us in our cabin when we arrive. The price on the website must also include tax as the total equaled the "list" prices exactly. So, if we DO decide to take the wine to the dining room, we will not have an additional charge for corkage (wanted to confirm that). I will be bringing a corkscrew and 2 mini martini shakers (DH is gin/I prefer vodka) and will get olives/limes/wine and martini glasses from room service. The setup also includes plenty of mixers (I just requested our favorite soft drinks since we are martini purists). I'll do my sampling of other varieties in the famous martini bar. Done - I'll cross this off my list. I feel a bit like a sucker, but it's vacation.

Betty you get a GOLD STAR!

Was just thinking if you do this, then you also have one less "on board" expense. What an excellent excellent idea for wine and liquor!! This is exactly what we did with our soda cards last year. Dh loves paying in advance. He is the person who begins Christmas shopping in July so expenses are not piled up all at once :cool: )!!!

Archived