Cell Phones on Cunard?

guernseyguy

Should Cunard enable Cell phones onboard?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Should Cunard enable Cell phones onboard?

• Yes
    • No

BTW, once people have cell phones for more than a few weeks, they generally don't yell into them and those that do are on Carnival according to Karie!

Perhaps Cunard will put Karie in charge of setting up the service and we won't have to worry any further! What a relief...!

Delete now if you don't like whales ablow-hard story follows! Where's Captain Ahab!

Well,

I must admit, when we putting in some trunks for them about a month ago, and my co-worker was questioning how these trunks terminated, I said I would get more info. I DID download both the job descriptions for their onboard technician and other positions. (I definitetly qualify, I am a switch tech presently, have also done extensive tech support, on switch equipment, SS7- the messaging circuits which underlie most telecommunications circuits to tell the equipment and each end what you are doing, how to get there and who to charge for it- They also carry your caller ID) and am (was) a certified Nokia technician (Handsets) (don't do those any more, though I still have lots of parts.... for obsolete sets <G>) I have done extensive high level data work, down to the protocols different elements use to talk to each other to make things work, especially when you take your MOBILE phone somewhere other than your own network. I have worked on Italy China, and other country's roamers as well as those between my company and other companies, in addition to 911 calls, (and failures) coverage issues, including in-building antennas, and all sorts of other stuff. I am on a number of NATIONAL performance calls. Now you understand why the president of the network and the regional Executive VP managed to find a way to fund a position for me when I was threatened with loss of my job this summer (not due to any failure on my part, nor anyone feeling I wasn't needed. In fact, a great many people were doing everything in their power to find a way to fund a position in their departments for me. Indeed, I had offers from around the country, and even one from our chief competition as a project manager! Closer than my exisiting office!) It was strictly the fact that there was no "head count" in the network, and I had been mistakenly put under a sales org, where I did not belong, for the last five years. They didn't want to pay for me anymore, as I don't sell anything! I fix things! They felt I was valuable, but I didn't fit in their org, or increase their bottom line- where their bonuses come from! This hapened when Network was losing people and my original group was being disbanded and I was the only one left. All others had been laid off.

So yeah, I MIGHT have the skills to make this happen. Of course,I would probably have to wear j-j-j- well, you know- those pants made from that fabric named after a city in Southern France. Expecially if I took the inside wiring tech job! And I'd probably need a little training specific to the equipment- It is Ericsson switch equipment. I have a minute amount of experience with the Ericsson, though we are putting in Ericsson radio equipment right now. I worked with the Ericsson installer today, in fact!

Gee, you don't think I am blowing my own horn or anything, do you? Okay. I admit it. I am pretty proud of this, considering I was a basket case just over a month ago, faced with losing my job (or taking one with much lesser benefits, which I need; or moving, which I am not in a position to do.) So yeah, I've been feeling kinda down, unloved and unwanted. But I'm getting back up. Why do I feel a sudden urge to sing Peggy Lee's "Pass me by"<cue souzaphone music and marching snare drums> "I got me ten fine toes to wiggle in the sand, Lots of idle fingers, nothing like a man.... And if you don't happen to like it pass me by!"- Not sure who the original singer was- I don't think it was Peggy Lee- Maybe someone like Ethel Merman. It's a song she could do justice to!

Who said I am ADHD, Now, what subject were we talking about?

(I'm sorry. I must be feeling down.... or up. Shame on me for bragging. I'm not that great. I just love to learn, I learn fast, and am fascinated by all kinds of stuff. So instead of having a real life I read up on things like this and teach myself- What saved me, as I kept up with the technology and more, even when I was in a position of getting no support or training. Thank God- it saved my job, for sure!)

Okay, I will back off and stop blowing my loud obnoxious horn. I know some people are trying to sleep! :o

karie (with a small ,humble first letter)

For the pure and simple, selfish reason that my mother is disabled and I like to contact her daily wherever I am to make sure she is okay, more for my piece of mind than anything else.

Wherever I go I always ring her daily but last time I was onboard I was under strict instuctions not to call given the cost of the ship-to-shore phone service on board. I had to make do with e-mailing my sister and her e-mailing me back to pass on any messages.

I fail to see that enabling staterooms for mobile phones would harm anyones enjoyment of a cruise.

I quite agree that anyone who uses phones in public places such as restaurants ought to be made to walk the plank or given red hot coals to hold to their ears instead, but I'd certainly like the choice of being able to make a convenient call home from the privacy of my own room if that is what I choose to do.

My personal experience has been, while in port in New York, I was able to make and receive calls from my cell phone.

After we sailed, I used the Satellite phone in my stateroom to check on my 89 year old Dad daily.

My feeling is, I paid all this money to sail on the QM2, why should I worry about the cost of calling my Dad if it gives me peace of mind?

In everyday life we are bombarded with people talking on cell phones while they walk their dogs, are just walking down the street, in restaurants and every type of store you can think of, doctor's waiting rooms and my biggest peeve - while driving.

When I go on a cruise, it is for relaxation. I do not want to hear someone having an inane phone conversation while I am relaxing at the pool.

If cell phone connectivity can be restricted to staterooms and/or only certain other enclosed rooms, then I am for it. But if there are no restrictions, I vote a resounding NO.

Maria

Archived