Cell Phones on Cunard?

guernseyguy

Should Cunard enable Cell phones onboard?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Should Cunard enable Cell phones onboard?

• Yes
    • No

Where am I going wrong here, BUT, I see NO negatives when cell use is ONLY in ones cabin and may or may not be used at the discretion of the cabin dweller.

I do see a negative here when people attempt to control what others should be doing in their own cabins - as long as it does not deleteriously affect anyone else!!!

But then here in California, we don't seem to be into telling other people how to live.

But then here in California, we don't seem to be into telling other people how to live.

Smoking in public places? Didn't California lead the World? Since this is about a trade off between personal convenience and pubic atmosphere - see Shellie's comment about the delights of sunset views from balconies with polyphonic ringtone accompaniment - I do think the merits of the case deserve debate.....perhaps cellphone users would value faxes too?:

http://mmadan.wordpress.com/2006/07/29/ft-the-fax-of-life/

Peter

The key here is: as long as it does not deleteriously affect anyone else, which smoking clearly does.

Cellphone use within ones room only, as Karie suggests possible, would not deleteriously affect anyone. Common sense dictates (perhaps a little sign in the room to remind!!!) that ringers should be turned off - to vibrate or flash if used on the balcony.

Of course, noisy conversation whether or not on cellphone on a near balcony (or anywhere for that matter) is very undesirable and rude.

I guess we just get down to manners. And you're totally right - it's a trade off all too often.

The key here is: as long as it does not deleteriously affect anyone else, which smoking clearly does.

Peter - Thanks for bringing up smoking - I saw an immediate relationship but didn't like to mention it unless someone else did. One point that has always been in my view is that there should be separate smoking/non smoking areas. The same is fair with mobile phones, if they can be used in certain areas of the ship but not others that would be acceptable - I would be able to choose which area I wanted to sit in. I don't feel that the poll asked this - I saw it as the much broader question of should they be allowed or not.

If you ask should smoking be allowed everywhere then I think I would be speaking for those who didn't want smoke everywhere; the same with mobiles certain places, not everywhere.

If we're talking about restricting mobiles to cabins why can't one use the normal phone? Why does one have to use a mobile? (A serious question - I don't know the answer!)

In the UK, on long-distance trains, we have "quiet carriages" where the use of mobiles, personal stereos and other aurally intrusive electronic apparatus is banned. Does this ensure a restful journey? of course not! It only takes one thoughtless passenger in 50 for the relative peace and quiet to be shattered by a "novelty" polyphonic ringtone swiftly followed by a stream of inane babble. And I'm sorry but even "essential" business-based conversations carried out in public places seem like inane babble to other people.

It's very noble and idealistic for the "yes" camp to assume that people would keep their mobiles to their own cabins on cruise ships, but I'm afraid it's a case of welcome to the real world.

Now, looking to future cruises, where can I get myself a pocket-sized mobile phone jammer.......?

In the UK, on long-distance trains, we have "quiet carriages" where the use of mobiles, personal stereos and other aurally intrusive electronic apparatus is banned. Does this ensure a restful journey? of course not! It only takes one thoughtless passenger in 50 for the relative peace and quiet to be shattered by a "novelty" polyphonic ringtone swiftly followed by a stream of inane babble. And I'm sorry but even "essential" business-based conversations carried out in public places seem like inane babble to other people.

It's very noble and idealistic for the "yes" camp to assume that people would keep their mobiles to their own cabins on cruise ships, but I'm afraid it's a case of welcome to the real world.

Now, looking to future cruises, where can I get myself a pocket-sized mobile phone jammer.......?

i have been told by others (???) that cell phone jammers are for sale in the uk but are unlawfull to use in the uk as well as the usa!!!!

i have been told by others (???) that cell phone jammers are for sale in the uk but are unlawfull to use in the uk as well as the usa!!!!

Don't worry - I had a feeling they were illegal.

I just had this naughty fantasy about lounging by the pool and furitively stopping all mobile-based yakking in its tracks......

;)

Mobile phones aboard ship would be an abomination. As there is no practical technological method which would restrict their use to certain rigorously-defined areas, such phones would constitute a terrible breach of the tenor and rhythm of shipboard life. Must we endure this decline which could be voluntarily avoided? Please, Cunard, spare us this!

Mobile phones aboard ship would be an abomination.

You know it's not just mobile phones - have you ever had a cabin with an adjoining door? Because of where the telephone is (on the QE2 at least) you end up hearing not only every word said by the occupants of the cabin next door on the telephone, but also getting their early morning call, their room service orders, etc!

The Midnatsol had the facility for mobile phone calls almost all the time - right up to Kirkenes.

I used mine from my suite to phone my wife each night. She hadn't come with us - it was just my mother and me. It had always been a dream of my mother's, and I agreed to go with her if I had a decent suite......

However no-one else would have heard me.

But I've never felt the need with Cunard. On my first trip I used the in cabin phone a couple of times, and since then I've been happy with the company of my wife.

I can't see the problem with in-cabin use. I do not want to hear either ringers or converstations on balconies as it is a well known fact that you need to shout to make a mobile phone work.

I see the point of those who need to keep in touch. But what is wrong with email and/or phone?

I can not think of any reason to have mobile phones ,as we call them here ,available everywhere on the QE2.Are we really in the time that we have to be on call 24/7?There is everything on board to contact people in emergencies.We are getting to the stage of 'hello I'm on the train',but it would be 'darlings i'm on the QE2!!!!!!

love the contents of this thread,

Kathie.

p.s.21 days and counting!:)

If we're talking about restricting mobiles to cabins why can't one use the normal phone? Why does one have to use a mobile? (A serious question - I don't know the answer!)

1) Cost

2) Signal

3) Ease of use

4) calling party knows you number, doesn't pay extra to call you- Unlike calling Satellite phone, and needing to know what hemisphere/ocean you are on

5) I use mine as a modem

6) You can send MMS (multi-media services I.E. pictrues you have take with the phone's camera

7) text messaging

8) your own personal headset

9) phone book

Is this enough?

Karie,

who is only suggesting what SOME people may feel.

Over there, I'm afraid. They are illegal in the United States.

As I stated, it is possible to make it so your cell phone will not function outside of certain limited locations, such as your cabin and places intended for their use.

Karie,

the cellular technician

Mobile phones aboard ship would be an abomination. As there is no practical technological method which would restrict their use to certain rigorously-defined areas, such phones would constitute a terrible breach of the tenor and rhythm of shipboard life. Must we endure this decline which could be voluntarily avoided? Please, Cunard, spare us this!

Ted,

See ,my previous post on the subject. It IS possible to determine exactly where they will and will not work! Expecially with the technology which is being deployed.

Kathie,

There are people who were never able to go on cruises before, because they could not be completely out of touch from the office. For these people, it has freed them to be able to go.

Trust me. I am in agreement with all of you who do not want your peace broken by boorishness. I don't like hearing them in my office! And I think people look like idiots walking around talking to themselves animatedly (headset in ear)

Karie

I have a cell phone and so does my wife, but the last thing I want to experience is someone at our table, or the next table over, babbling over a phone, and loudly, so that they could be heard on their cell connection.

It would not be the end of the world, but it would be another step toward making the voyage just like any other land experience.

I can just see it now, hordes of people in jeans wandering Deck 7 yelling above the sound of the surf and the deck wind, "Can you hear me now?"

Paul

1) Cost

2) Signal

3) Ease of use

4) calling party knows you number, doesn't pay extra to call you- Unlike calling Satellite phone, and needing to know what hemisphere/ocean you are on

5) I use mine as a modem

6) You can send MMS (multi-media services I.E. pictrues you have take with the phone's camera

7) text messaging

8) your own personal headset

9) phone book

Is this enough?

Karie,

who is only suggesting what SOME people may feel.

Give it up, Karie. Being right, or at least having some good reasons, is no help in such an emotional argument. And I still think that putting micro cell antennas having a three meter transmission radius in each cabin is the answer.

Best,

Paul (the NJ Paul)

I can just see it now, hordes of people in jeans wandering Deck 7 yelling above the sound of the surf and the deck wind, "Can you hear me now?"

Paul

YIKES!!!:eek: Now there's a vision I hope I am never subjected to!!

Sadly, those of you who are for this idea know that this is exactly what could happen...and probably would. I have no doubt that the vast majority of you who have responded in the affirmative to this poll would not be this rude...but trust me, there are far more who would be as we all see in every day life. If these folks were given the opportunity to use their phones do you really think they'd do it any differently than they do everywhere?

Can it be restricted to the cabins only? I'm not technical like Karie so I'd have to wonder if it would be more costly to do it this way and no where else on the ship. My uneducated guess is that the cheapest way would be to just "wire", or whatever they do, the entire ship in the most cost effective manner.

I vote for putting it in one small room and let them all yell at the same time "can you hear me now" from there!! ;) ;)

Cheers, Penny...who is thrilled that my new life no longer has me a slave to a cell phone and I now only turn it on when I want to!!:D

Is this enough?

Karie - I'd accept point 4 - that you wouldn't need a different number, but I think all the rest could be sorted by using the ship's existing telecoms equipment (if Cunard were willing!).

However, if their use can be limited to certain parts of the ship, I don't see any reason why mobiles should be banned entirely - restricted use, just like restricted smoking, would be a perfectly acceptable compromise.

Karie - I'd accept point 4 - that you wouldn't need a different number, but I think all the rest could be sorted by using the ship's existing telecoms equipment (if Cunard were willing!).

However, if their use can be limited to certain parts of the ship, I don't see any reason why mobiles should be banned entirely - restricted use, just like restricted smoking, would be a perfectly acceptable compromise.

Malcolm,

For me, the biggest reasons would be cost- If it cost a whole lot less than satellite, But then, I rarely make calls on cruises, although I do take my phones with me and make test calls from each port- I have made the occasional work related call when I absolutley felt I had to, without disturbing others. My Blackberry would be nice. Otherwise it gets overwhelming when I get back. I can weed through my emails and delete a bunch without disturbing a soul! but mostly, I would use it for data as a modem. Because Cunard's rates are usurious. Maybe this might force them to lower their rates.

And my apologies. I stated before Princess ships were wired. I was wrong (what was I THINKING?:eek:) It was Royal Caribbean I was thinking of!

Here are the wired ships: http://www.cellularatsea.com/shipsinservice.htm

More info: http://www.seamobile.com/technology.php

Satellite company which serves ships at sea: http://www.mtnsat.com/

And yes it is possible to easily and cheaply restrict where it works. It is distributed throughout the ship by wire in the ceiling. One of those sites has a better explanation of the technology, though I don't have time to find it now. (I have to get to work, doing cellulat technology <G>) Whether the ship and the company would want to or not, I don't know . I think of your average Carnivl passenger as the ones yelling into the phone "HEY MABEL! I'M ON THE CRUISE SHIP...YEAH RIGHT NOW!!!"

Tacky, tacky, tacky!

Karie

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?

P.S. People can use thier cell phones as they sail away, now! Very few do. Although I was on the phone with a customer, helping him, as we ssailed out of New York. He had been trying to reach me all week, his service wasn't working and He'd have to wait another 12 days. Oh, and this is someone rich and famous, who has come to depend on me for all things cellular. He once asked me to call Verizon to disconnect his wife's service! They are our competitor!) Oh well!

P.S. People can use their cell phones as they sail away, now! Very few do.

Are you joking? As you sail down Southampton Water the rear decks of the QE2 are awash with people all calling to say their goodbyes (and tell everyone that they're on the QE2;) ); on deck, at midnight, in Madeira you can hardly hear the fireworks for the ringing of phones. People use their phones on the QE2!

For me, the biggest reasons would be cost

It shouldn't cost any more to make a call from a mobile mid Atlantic than it does from the ship (I know that it does). Mobile phones drove down the cost of hotel telephone charges, let's hope that they can do the same for INMARSAT.

I very rarely have to make a call to or from a ship; I don't believe that it's fair to penalise everyone because I don't want to do it - I do believe that it's wrong to enforce your choice on everyone else though.

For me, others talking on a cell during sailaway would be OK. Everyone is celebrating, champagne corks popping, spas bubbling with exhilarated guests, music, dancing - So what if some passengers are talking to dear friends left behind sharing their excitement. So what if someone holds up their phone toward the whistle while it's giving its three signals. They just blend into the general noise and hoopla and don't bother anyone, in which case it's OK with me! However, earlier this year I did not notice anyone on a cell phone on either LA departure/sailaway on QM2 but I wasn't specifically looking for them.

BTW, once people have cell phones for more than a few weeks, they generally don't yell into them and those that do are on Carnival according to Karie!

Perhaps Cunard will put Karie in charge of setting up the service and we won't have to worry any further! What a relief...!

Archived