Help Me Get the Parents to Alaska!!!

Hey everybody!

This board has been such a help to DH & myself. We are contemplating sending my parents on an Alaskan cruise. My dad had a work related accident several years ago which broke his back. He has had two fusion surgeries. He is pretty active for his condition and has always wanted to see Alaska. I thought cruising might be the best way to see it. That way he could always come back to the ship if he became tired at port. It doesn't hurt that if he's ready for a nap while on board his room is a few steps away. My Dad has never done anything for himself...ever. So, I will do it for him.

Anyway, I am looking for feedback on which itinerary is your favorite and why. Also, what month was the most enjoyable, weather-wise? The only thing I have nailed down is that it will be a 7 night cruise. All opinions are welcomed and appreciated. I'm trying to make the best decision possible without involving either of them I would love for this to be a complete surprise (for Christmas). I sure wouldn't mind getting a gift like that, would you?

My parents my husband and myself are going to Alaska on Royal Caribbean in 24 days! My Dad had his second back surgery and first fusion surgery about 8 weeks ago. (When nothing else was helping he scheduled the surgery quickly to be sure he would be recovered by the cruise.)

I would encourage you to go to the Ports of Call - Alaska board where you will be able to get tons of information on this topic. In fact there are several threads right now concerning when to go and what ship. I would sure love to be on your Christmas list!

I'd pick Radiance or Serenade because they have lots of glass so the views will be spectacular! I think I'd choose the round-trip from Vancouver if possible. He wouldn't have to take the bus to Anchorage from Seward (it's a lovely drive but would he be OK sitting that long?) and would probably save him some wear and tear. All it would take is a cab ride to the airport.

Try to at least get them a window so if your Dad isn't up to being on the deck he can see from his window the beautiful sites. What a great Christmas gift!

We did the Radiance on 15 May this year and the weather was great. It was 70+ in Ketchikan. Friends did the Serenade 2 weeks after that and said the weather was great then. We did not see any animals. The tour guide/bus driver on the Yukon trip from Skagway said it was early for the animals to be moving. Also, we couldn't get too close to Hubbard Glacier because there was stilla lot of ice. But the scenery was still spectacular and we would do the same trip again.

You can probably get more info about other times of the year on the Alaska port site.

My mother has just returned from an Alaskan cruise -- albeit with Celebrity, but she enjoyed it very much. She is 74. My brother and his wife took my mother and also his in-laws.

The original idea was for my parents 50th anniversary as well as my brothers in-laws...sadly my father passed away April 2003.

My mother had nothing but great things to say about it and was so pleased she could go. Although missing my father.

She highly recommened the cruise for the DH and me.

Only one thing though -- there is a tender into one port, not sure which one she said, but she did not go as the tender was small and she is afraid of water in something that small...just wonder if your dad's back would be okay for a tender.

My mother had always wanted to cruise to Alaska and several years ago we took her on a cruise. This was before these boards were available with all of the great information. We lucked into some things and learned some lessons--things we would have done differently.

First, we did fly into Vancouver and that was much better than flying into Seattle and riding the bus. However, we took the cruise air and and they flew us in the same day. We were flying from a small town in Tennessee had to take an early morning flight that had several connections. We didn't get into Vancouver and to the ship until about an hour before the ship left, so we felt rushed and tired on the first day. Lesson learned was that we would fly in the night before (I also found that we could book more direct flights ourselves at a cheaper rate also than the port air charge).

We chose the Glacier Bay/inside passage route which was perfect for us as it provided beautiful scenary and an entire day in Glacier Bay to stay on the ship but still see incredible Glaciers and wildlife. We had a stateroom with a window, which was nice and which my mother used a lot, but she/we really needed to go on the public decks to see well. The public decks tend to be more crowded and it is difficult to find somewhere to sit. Even if you drag a chair over to the rails, we found people would crowd in front of us. My mother couldn't stand for long periods, so we had to go back and forth from the deck railings to seats or the stateroom to rest. Lesson learned is to book a balcony cabin if at all possible. Also, it helped to go in some to get our hands and face warm.

We went in late Sept.--the last sailing of the year. The weather in Alaska is often iffy and changeable, but apparently the weather on the last sailing of the year can be more changeable than other weeks, according to the crew we talked with. We had arranged the standard helicopter tour of a glacier, which was cancelled due to the weather. We also had arranged to take the train to Skagway and do an excursion there, which was also cancelled due to the weather. Our boat trip was also cancelled in another port. The cruise line got us on one general land tour around the city at one of the ports with a cancelled tour, but had no openings on tours at the other ports where our tours were cancelled, so we walked around the ports. Lesson learned--go earlier in the season when we may have a little better luck with the weather. Second lesson learned-- although the standard helicopter tour was cancelled, we learned that the pilot's choice helicopter tour was not cancelled as the pilot didn't have to go to the glacier which had the bad weather but could go to another glacier where the weather was better. Apparently the pilot's choice, while more expensive, is rarely cancelled. So we would spend the extra money and do this tour instead of the standard helicopter tour.

We did see a lot of wildlife during this time. We did the right thing and brought binoculars, but only one pair for our group as our TA erroneously told us the ship would have some available. Lesson learned--We would bring a small pair for each of us.

My mother really enjoyed that cruise, even with all of the glitches.

I suggest that, although some of these things are more expensive, you try to do them now if you possibly can. We had planned another cruise for my mother, taking her back to Alaska a few years after the first cruise I just told you about and implementing all of the lessons learned so that we could have a better trip and do the things we missed. We purchased a nice balcony stateroom the first week of September on the Glacier Bay/Inside Passage route, (actually included a day or two of August). Had arranged our own air for the day before with more direct flight to Vancouver, hotel stay, hotel shuttle from airport, transportation to pier arranged in advance, and prebooked several shore excursions, including the pilot's choice helicopter flight. Unfortunately, my mother passed away in July of that year.

I know your parents will really enjoy the cruise. I'm sure that your parents will really appreciate the trip as well. And all of the effort you are making will really help them to have the best time ever. I commend you on your efforts.

Montgomeryfamily,

Thank you so much for your detailed, thoughtful reply. I will take all of your "lessons learned" into consideration. You have certainly clarified my balcony decision. I tell you, this board is the best thing since sliced bread!!

:)

We took the Radiance this May. It was a joy from start to finish; the favorite of my 10 cruises. You do not tender at any of the 3 ports (Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan). The views from the "Ships of Glass" are fabulous. Even on Hubbard Glacier day, when folks are lined up on the rails, you can comfortably sit in the Viking Crown Lounge (called Starquest Disco on the Radiance) and enjoy the same view. Plus they have a native interpreter discussing the wildlife, culture, etc. while you are viewing the glacier.

You can request a handicapped accessible room and also rent a scooter for your dad for the week which might be helpful. There are accessible rooms in every category. When I brought a child in a wheelchair on the Grandeur, our inner accessible room was huuuuuuge! Also, there are terrific walkers (adaptive devices) these days which are very sturdy (like mountain bike framing) and they also have a comfy seat on them. So you could take one up on deck and your dad would always have a handy seat.

RCI staff are very quick to assist anyone who needs help, from finding accessible seating in theaters to helping with trays in the Windjammer.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Ellen

Sam of the Seas - I am the group leader for the Serenade sailing to Alaska 08/07/05. Please let me know if there are any questions I can answer for you, natesfirewife@yahoo.com . It looks like you have a good start. I am surprising my parents also and booked them a balcony on the aft (rear of the ship) so they can sit out there and see both sides of the passage!

Misty

Archived