Shopping Secrets to Share?

elena7seas

Just a lighthearted request.....

I like to bring home mementos of our travels...arts, crafts, jewelry and other handmade articles that are reflective of the places we have travelled to, but I don't like to devote too much time to shopping.

I have enjoyed Suzy Gershman's "Born to Shop" guides and wished there was one for every stop, as her guides help me to know what to look for and where to find the best that each place has to offer.

Do you have any tips to share about great items or shops you have found in any of your ports of call? Any shopping anecdotes to share?

Thanks in advance for your help.:)

We like the handpainted or hand blown glass ones made by local artists. We also give them as gifts.

But on our last cruise to Alaka, forget Juneau, and Skagway ( although they have some DESIGNED by local artists, but made in China ($26.00 each )). We did hit the jackpot in Ketchikan with a number of local galleys selling 'certified Alaskan' one of a kind hand painted ornaments. The best was Scanlons Gallery which had the best selection. Price range was 19.00 to 27.00 each.

Seattle has the 'Seattle glass works' where local artists make their creations. Watching is free and they offer classes. The items for sale are reasonable. We also bought ornaments here.

Our other shopping passion is local artists original watercolor paintings. While sometimes these can seem a bit pricey, its not like a t-shirt that shrinks or fades with time, or a tchachka' that collects dust on a shelf and ends up at a garage sale.

Dave:eek:

(Hope you're feeling better :rolleyes: )

Christmas ornaments would be a great idea. I've added that to my list. Haven't been to Alaska yet, but will follow your suggestion when we get there.

We're only 2 hours from Seattle, so we go there a lot. I'd never heard of the Seattle Glass Works, but will definitely check it out for our next trip in December. We do really like blown glass...have you seen the Dale Chihuly installation at the Tacoma Art Museum? Fabulous.

Paintings and three-dimensional art are my favourite things to bring home from a trip. We got an amazing blown glass statue in Murano (almost three feet tall) that is the best thing we've ever brought home from a trip to date.

The best street market for original art that I've ever seen is in Quebec city, in the historic streets and lanes of Upper Town. Quebec City is a favourite destination. The only walled city north of Mexico, Quebec's historic district has been so well preserved that it has been recognized by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site.

Thanks for taking the time to post the really great tips!

Thanks.

I am feeling better.

I've started working on finishing the last two days of my cruise review, but I think it kinda lacks the zest I started with. I was going to sit on it for a day to try and refine it a bit..

Oops, sorry to get off topic:confused:

Dave:eek:

Just to share another great find...in November 2005 we found a wonderful selection of Larimar jewelry set in sterling silver, sold by an artisan at a large table in the street market in Marigot. I knew the quality and the prices were great, but I didn't realize how good until I got home. (Wish I'd bought more).

Larimar jewelry has become very popular here at home, and is about 4 times what I paid for it at the Marigot Market. The large pieces were especially well priced, compared to anywhere else I've seen Larimar.

Having lived over a half-century collecting knick-knacks and souvenirs, I turned to collecting Christmas ornaments from my travels several years ago. I enjoy searching out meaningful ornaments in each port of call and purchasing ornaments with our ship's name on various cruises.

Our Christmas tree is now decorated with a variety of cruise related ornaments each year. It's a trip down memory lane as we take the ornaments out of storage each holiday season and remember all the great times we've had and beautiful places we've seen.

When the holidays are over the ornaments are safely packed away, ready to come back into our lives the next year to remind us once again of the great travels we've had together.

Dianne

Like a previous poster, we try to find cookbooks with a local flair. We also make it a point to buy several postcards in each port and record our experiences in the port on the backs of them. Once home, we punch holes in the postcards to put in a small binder. We then have some "professional photos" of our trip along with our memories of what we did in each port. It makes for a wonderful book of souvenirs that we can flip through and relive our fun cruises.

We always collect 2 items. I get a magnet for my office. OK, not very original , but I can fit a lot of them in a small space. Sometimes I can get some really cool magnets. I look at them daily.

We buy Christmas ornaments for every place we visit. We always look for something that really identifies the place we visited. Love putting the tree up every year!

A long time ago before my first visit to China I was warned not to buy too much stuff. This was one of the best travel tips I have ever received. It is real easy to get carried away. I still buy stuff, but have found out that I need somewhere to put it when I get it home.

enjoy

Duane

Archived