Cook Islands or Marquesas Itinerary

parrothead0918

You could do one now and the other on another cruise. I've been to French Polynesia many times. I have never been to the Cook Islands, but I've also never been to the Marquesas. I had to pick one. The fact that the Marquesas itinerary doesn't seem to be offered during the summer pushed me to choose the Cook Islands first. I want to do the Marquesas at some point. They both look good.

Chris

We have dine the Tahiti/Cook Island cruise and really enjoyed it. Rarotonga was a lot of fun and we enjoyed our time on the island. The bad part of the cruise is that many times, it is too rough to tender in. The cruise before and after us were skunked, but we made landfall. The trip back was rocky and they called off the tendering early in the afternoon. The seas can also get a bit choppy. Still, we had a lot of fun exploring Avarua and I found the best fish and chips shop outside of Great Britian.

As for the Marquesas, the only thing I've heard is that they are rocky with little beach area and that the inhabitants are always as happy to see folk as some of the other islands. People have complained that there is little to buy or do on the islands, but I think it's all a matter of preception and taking advantage of what is available. Will be able to let you know firsthand in '08 when we make that cruise, but you probably don't want to wait that long.

In either event, this is a great sopt to cruise and it's doubltful that you will have a bad time with either itinerary.

Sail safe,

Charlie

I couldn't make up my mind so I decided to do a btb cruise with both itineraries. It is such a long and expensive way to go to Tahiti, that it made sense to do both at the same time. After doing the "touristy" Cook itinerary first, I think it will be really nice to see some of the more out-of-the-way places like the Marquesas. I am sure it's a great cruise no matter which itinerary you take. :D

The Cook Islands are really two very different groups of Island. The South Cooks are by far the more populated and have many more services. this is where Raratonga lies. The North Cooks are really out fo the way, difficult to get to, and simply wonderful. If the cruise you are considering hits the North Cooks, take that.

Not that there is anything wrong with the South Cooks, but as I have friends there, I can't really be objective.

• 1 month later...
I couldn't make up my mind so I decided to do a btb cruise with both itineraries. It is such a long and expensive way to go to Tahiti, that it made sense to do both at the same time. After doing the "touristy" Cook itinerary first, I think it will be really nice to see some of the more out-of-the-way places like the Marquesas. I am sure it's a great cruise no matter which itinerary you take. :D

We came to the same conclusion. When considering the entire cost of a single 10 day, it did not double the cost to double the fun. Plus, spending all that time on an airplane coming and going, we felt it was worth the extra time.

That is the nice thing about alternating itineraries on the TP. We did the Cook leg first, unfortunately we diverert from Cook because of a tropical cyclone (not quite a typhoon). We went to Rangiroa instead on the first leg (so got to see it twice).

Archived