Recommendations for tours out of Whittier?

bunduo

This isn't a "wildlife" area, go out of Seward, :) I've gone with all three major companies, Phillips, Alaska Heritage and Major Marine. Look up Chenega's posts, he had a very descriptive post on the differences of glacier areas.

Hey BQ, the one and only negative about the upcoming cruise is that is leaves out of Whittier. I so wanted to go out of Seward so we could do the Kenai Fjords tour. Sometimes these things work out for the best. We might really like kayaking around Prince William Sound.

Nancy, thanks for the great links!! They were just what I was looking for. Has anyone had a great experience with these operators? I'm looking for a company like Island Wings...a company with a stellar reputation.

-Matt

Nancy, thanks for the great links!! They were just what I was looking for. Has anyone had a great experience with these operators? I'm looking for a company like Island Wings...a company with a stellar reputation.

-Matt

I've read great reviews about all 3 companies. I even saved the link to a thread about them: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=285322

Hey BQ, the one and only negative about the upcoming cruise is that is leaves out of Whittier. I so wanted to go out of Seward so we could do the Kenai Fjords tour. Sometimes these things work out for the best. We might really like kayaking around Prince William Sound.

-Matt

Maybe you can kayak from Whittier to Seward and back :D

I missed Seward on my trip this past summer, but I am going there next summer. Friends of mine took the tour out of Whittier with princewilliamsound.com and really enjoyed it. Last year the company had a 2-for-1 coupon in the Toursaver book. Not sure if they will again next year.

John

I've gone with Kenai Fjords (Alaska Heritage) ever since they started over 20 years ago. At that time, they had one 40 boat named the Shaman and were a very small organization; today, it's a multi-boat fleet with the most departures from both Seward and Whittier.

I've been with all of them but, if experience counts, I highly recommend Kenai Fjords.

My favorite KFT trip is the Northwestern Fjord. Long but you really get your money's worth. My favorite trip out of Whittier is the Prince William Sound Tours (also run by KFT) to Esther Passage and the glaciers of Barry Arm.

I've seen wildlife on both trips but the focus on Whittier is the magnificent glaciers while Seward is for the wildlife, particularly on the 6-8 hour trips that go to the Chiswell Islands. You do visit one glacier on the Seward trips, usually Aialik, Holgate, or Northwestern.

The three hour trips in Resurrection Bay are too short for our tastes. Wildlife sighting of whales, orca, puffins, etc. increases once you enter the boundaries of Kenai Fjords National Park.

Archived