Prince Rupert

kb996

Looking for info on Prince Rupert. We were going to do a Lucy Island nature walk but it was canceled by NCL.

I've seen that others just walked around town. Anyone gone to the Museum of Northern BC? Any good shops that stand out?

Also, can you use US $$$ or do you need Canadian $$$?

We did the City Tour and were a little (maybe a lot) disappointed in it. We did get to see some good sights, but the tour guide just read a script word for word, making it pretty boring. We did stop at the museum and enjoyed the history of the area and decided to stay at the museum then went off on our own. The museum has a lot of information (maps and self-guided walking tours) available. It's just a short walk up the hill from where the Spirit docks. The only place we went shopping was "Cow Bay" which has several nice shops and is just a short walk from the ship. Yes, you can use American money there - our $10 was worth $12.50.

Prince Rupert is an easy Port to see on your own if you just want to see the city. If that is what you want I would suggest the following:

Disembark from your cruise ship and turn to your right and walk down the dock along the water front. In approximately a block you will come to a restored train station museum right on the waterfront that is very interesting.

Remember Prince Rupert was founded as the western terminus of the Grand Trunk Railway - the harbor in Prince Rupert is the 7th largest natural harbor in the world and Prince Rupert is 1.5 days closer to Northeast Asia by Ship than Vancouver.

Once you have enjoyed the Station Museum walk up the hill to the top that is 1st Avenue. You will find the Northern Museum and Native craft shop on 1st Ave. the main shopping street is 3rd Avenue.

Once you have enjoyed your shopping walk back to the ship via Cow Bay where you will find some excellent souvenir shops.

However if you want to really enjoy the north coast than take a tour to the North Coast Fishing Museum out at Cassiar Cannery - an old cannery restored and turned into a museum. this is excellent and the scenic drive is also a great part of the tour. The drive out to the Cannery Museum which is past Port Edward takes about a half hour and you will see lots of eagles - some deer and if you are very lucky a bear.

Enjoy Prince rupert it is a wonderful port and one I would want on my Alaska Itinerary.

If you have any questions please ask

Ann

Thanks to the advice of someone on Cruise Critic, I'm renting a car from National-rent-a-car in Prince Rupert - 1800-227-7368 - $67.84 tax included AAA rate. compact. I'm planning on driving to Terrace from Prince Rupert, a 4 hour round trip drive that passes waterfalls and other beautiful scenery. If you're going to consider this, ask to have the car at the 2nd Ave. location which is in the middle of the town. Go to the Infomation Center and they'll have the car rental compnay pick you up there.

RE : Renting a car and driving to Terrace.

Yes this is a scenic drive along the Skeena River - just remember there is nothing between Prince rupert & Terrace just wild beauty!

I would opt for the cannery tour and a drive out along the highway to Terrace just far enough to view the Indian Pictographs on the cliff as opposed to the drive all the way to Terrace. then you would have some time to drive around the city of Prince Rupert and to enjoy.

Have fun

Archived