Orlando to Cape Canaveral Questions

Sarahjb001

We are flying into Orland late eve on Wed. 11/1 for a cruise on the Elation, leaving Canaveral on Thursday afternoon.

First off, are we best off to spend the night in Orlando or CC? Any suggestions on where to stay?

Transportation to CC? There will be 11 of us.

Thanks!!

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

There are four in our party, and we're staying in CC the night before, simply because it's close-by, and they have a complimentary shuttle to the port. I find it easier on the mind to be within minutes of the ship as opposed to 45 minutes away...should a problem arise!

We're staying at the Radisson on Cape Canaveral (http://www.radisson.com/webExtra.do?hotelCode=FLCOCOA) - highly recommended! Shuttle service from Orlando - CC is Elite Transportation (http://yellowpages.superpages.com/profile~SRC_google~LID_hswhdmsUqB5TmL1dz4yv1g%3D%3D.htm). Good luck!

Hi Sarah -- we'll be on board with you on 11/2. In the past we've found it exciting to get to Port Canaveral early so that when you wake up next morning the ships are "magically" in port...just adds a little more anticipation to that day when you can see the ship for a few hours but can't touch it. We've also stayed at that Radisson twice and enjoyed it very much. However we always wind up skipping the shuttle and just paying for a taxi ride to the port. You can't go wrong, whichever way you choose!

See you onboard!

Rebeccah:D

One warning about shuttles in Cape Canaveral. The hotel said it had shuttle service to the port but when we got there it was not free. We signed up for it anyway thinking hey it's ten bucks a piece. Well it seems all the hotels use the same shuttle service and it turned out to be a nightmare. People showing up for for earlier shuttles than they had signed up for and know one had a handle on who was on what shuttle. Then the shuttle stops at athe different ships loading and unlaoding luggage. We are going next January and it will be a taxi this time.

We do it a little differently then everyone else seems to, we fly in the day before and are staying at the Orlando Airport Hyatt right there IN the airport and then we are taking Carnivals shuttle the next morning. When we did that with the Fantasy, no one but fellow Fantasy passengers were on there and it was a fabulous relaxing ride. We loved it!! :D

Hi. I stayed at the Wingate Orlando International and arrived very late. Called the hotel and their shuttle was there in few minutes. I arranged transport from the hote to ship thru Tropicans Transport. $35.00 round trip. No stops after he picked me up. Very nice guy. Arrives at ship on debarcation day at 8:00 and stays until 10:00. However, since everyone he was taking to airport was off ship by 8:00, we left right away and was at airport at 8:45. I think his web site is tropicanatransport.com.

Good Luck!

One warning about shuttles in Cape Canaveral. The hotel said it had shuttle service to the port but when we got there it was not free. We signed up for it anyway thinking hey it's ten bucks a piece. Well it seems all the hotels use the same shuttle service and it turned out to be a nightmare. People showing up for for earlier shuttles than they had signed up for and know one had a handle on who was on what shuttle. Then the shuttle stops at athe different ships loading and unlaoding luggage. We are going next January and it will be a taxi this time.

I am signed up for the shuttle service at 11:30 am provided by Radisson Resort at the Port. I was hoping to be at the port by 12:00. Is that the shuttle service you are talking about? I had to give them my name so I thought it seemed organized. If it is really that bad...then I might take a taxi too!

Beaming90,

Is there much walking involved in getting to the Orlando Airport Hyatt and back to where you meet the Carinival shuttle? I will have my mom with me and she cannot walk long distances.

Thanks!

We are flying into Orland late eve on Wed. 11/1 for a cruise on the Elation, leaving Canaveral on Thursday afternoon.

First off, are we best off to spend the night in Orlando or CC? Any suggestions on where to stay?

Transportation to CC? There will be 11 of us.

Thanks!!

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

I live about 30 miles away and this is my recomendation.

I would rent a 15 passenger van and you can drop it off at the port.Thrifty is about a mile away.

I would priceline hotels at Cocoa beach.There are many near Ron jons surf shop area and the Cocoa pier.You should be able to get rooms for $60-$70 a night.Cocoa beach is only several minutes away.The drive from the airport is 1 road all the way to the port and Cocoa beach.

Steve

The Hyatt is inside the airport just outside of the exit for side B gates. I would imagine if your mother has trouble walking you will be getting a wheelchair to meet you at the gate as it can be a haul from the gate to the tram. (and if your airline arrives at side A you would add some getting lost walking as well) You could check Mom in and then go for your luggage. (all of this happens without going outside) I have never taken a bus or shuttle out of the airport but the taxi and bus area is on the level below baggage claim (again depending on if it is on side A or B a few elevator rides plus maybe some walking- something you could check out once you arrive and perhaps snag a redcap with a wheelchair)

I was thinking that we would book at room at CC, rent a car at the airport and then drive to our hotel that night, then return the car to the rental place in CC and have them shuttle us to the pier. Is this possible? I have done it at other locations and thought it would work there.

I was thinking that we would book at room at CC, rent a car at the airport and then drive to our hotel that night, then return the car to the rental place in CC and have them shuttle us to the pier. Is this possible? I have done it at other locations and thought it would work there.

Hey Westernmom, that was my idea too. I am not going until March.. you will have to let me know how it works. If there is a drop off for the rental at the pier it would be even better.

What hotel are you planning to stay in?

Lanie67,

We don't go until next June! :( So you will have to let me know how it works for you! We have done this in Miami and it worked well. We have also vacationed in the Orlando area several times and found it pretty easy to get around. The cost of shuttles and taxi's are alot more than just renting a car and the car rental is pretty easy in Orlando. Just go to the bottom of the airport, do the paperwork and walk across to the parking garage. Not as big as deal as some where you have to get on a shuttle just to get your car!

We will probably stay at the Radisson or the Country Inns and Suites - both are good chains.

We will be staying for several days after our cruise as our sil has never been to Florida and would like to go to a few of the theme parks.

It will work here.

Steve

. Just go to the bottom of the airport, do the paperwork and walk across to the parking garage. Not as big as deal as some where you have to get on a shuttle just to get your car!

Not 100% correct. Some car agencies are taking you offsite. I just was there 2 hours ago.Thrifty shuttled today.

Steve

Lanie67,

We don't go until next June! :( So you will have to let me know how it works for you! We will probably stay at the Radisson or the Country Inns and Suites - both are good chains.

We will be staying for several days after our cruise as our sil has never been to Florida and would like to go to a few of the theme parks.

Well, if I had looked, I would have seen that... sorry. I will let you know how it goes. :)

I am taking my 15 year old daughter, she has not been to FL either. I figure this is probably one of the last years that she will allow her mother to spend spring break with her for awhile.

Looking for a hotel that is more family oriented rather than Spring Breaky... if you know what I mean. I would like to have everything set by the end of the year, maybe sooner. (except the flights).

Although we are going during spring break so I doubt if I will want to wait too long on the flights either if I can find some decent fares.

Thanks everyone for the great tips. I will definitely check out the car rentals on site at the airport.

Looking for a hotel that is more family oriented rather than Spring Breaky... if you know what I mean. I would like to have everything set by the end of the year, maybe sooner. (except the flights).

Although we are going during spring break so I doubt if I will want to wait too long on the flights either if I can find some decent fares.

Thanks everyone for the great tips. I will definitely check out the car rentals on site at the airport.

You are too late on all the above.If you are talking about an April or February vacation week you need to book yesterday.Flights and Hotels were available at 300 days out and I personally have family that has already booked everything and they are big bucks already.

Don't overlook the car rental companies off site.It is easier IMHO to use an off site.There are shutle buses everywhere and the lines are not long like they are in terminal.The off site locations are only a mile away.

Steve

Beaming90,

Is there much walking involved in getting to the Orlando Airport Hyatt and back to where you meet the Carinival shuttle? I will have my mom with me and she cannot walk long distances.

Thanks!

I don't think so, we didn't stay there last time, we stayed at the Wingate. But we could see the hotel while we were walking around the airport shops. My mom is 76 with bad legs and knees, and can't walk very far either, but there were plenty of places to sit down while we were walking through the airport. So we sat a few times. Our TA got a great senior discount for us too. I can't wait! And we requested a room overlooking the runway. My mom loves to watch the planes take off. ;)

You are too late on all the above.If you are talking about an April or February vacation week you need to book yesterday.Flights and Hotels were available at 300 days out and I personally have family that has already booked everything and they are big bucks already.

Don't overlook the car rental companies off site.It is easier IMHO to use an off site.There are shutle buses everywhere and the lines are not long like they are in terminal.The off site locations are only a mile away.

Steve

Steve,

Are you saying that we get the best deals when we book 300 days out on hotels? I know that doesn't hold up on flights but was wondering if the deals are the best or just availability? Thanks!

Steve,

Are you saying that we get the best deals when we book 300 days out on hotels? I know that doesn't hold up on flights but was wondering if the deals are the best or just availability? Thanks!

When you deal with high peak weeks the demand is more than the supply.If you are talking about February Vacation or April vacation weeks then it is not a matter of deals.There are very few. Try getting a cruise for Christmas or New years at the rates for the previous weeks were.Won't happen. During several weeks around here we stay away from everything as it is over run with tourists.

Can you get a cheaper air flight as time gets closer? I doubt it.I believe it becomes a matter of can you get a flight. If its for the big February and April weeks.If you are flexable and can leave 3 days early or 3 days late than that is another story.

Steve

Archived