Insurance for Marriott Reward Cruise

BamaTraveler

I will be taking a Mediterranian cruise this May on HAL. I've paid for the cruise using a Marriott Reward. Has anyone purchased insurance for a reward cruise? I am unable to purchase it through Holland America...they've said to use an outside company. My TA has suggested AccessAmerica. If I have to cancel, Marriott will just re-deposit my reward, but we need insurance to cover the hefty cruiseline imposed cancellation fees.

Thanks!

I will be taking a Mediterranian cruise this May on HAL. I've paid for the cruise using a Marriott Reward. Has anyone purchased insurance for a reward cruise? I am unable to purchase it through Holland America...they've said to use an outside company. My TA has suggested AccessAmerica. If I have to cancel, Marriott will just re-deposit my reward, but we need insurance to cover the hefty cruiseline imposed cancellation fees.

Thanks!

HI,

Yes. Don't bother with the link from a prior post as it does not apply to rewards.Also travel guard does NOT cover rewards. If it is not in writing it is not covered.

I had to make a claim agaist a reward and I got lucky as far as coverage goes.

In order to give you a better answer,when does your cruise leave? How did you recieve the reward? (gift cert,voucher,other form???)

Steve

I used reward points and bought travel insurance through Travel Guard. I phoned customer service and they were able to answer my questions and get me the coverage that I needed. I fortunately did not have to use it, but at least I had it.

Well I guess the customer service person I spoke to was wrong and sold me insurance that I would not have been able to use if I needed it. She said that I would be covered not for the cruise itself since it was a reward cruise, but for the air, medical, including if you had to be taken off of the ship and lost luggage. As I said, I did not have to use it.

Well I guess the customer service person I spoke to was wrong and sold me insurance that I would not have been able to use if I needed it. She said that I would be covered not for the cruise itself since it was a reward cruise, but for the air, medical, including if you had to be taken off of the ship and lost luggage. As I said, I did not have to use it.

You are correct in what you posted above,everything is covered except for the cruise. The problem you run into is if you had to cancel several days before a cruise.You do not get your points or reward back as penalties apply not only to cash but to reward programs as well.Where they also get you is the question on the cost of the trip and pre existing condition clauses as well. I have purchased 2 policies for the same trip in the past just to cover pre existing.If you buy the insurance within 15 days they are covered as well as additional benefits.

Steve

HI,

Yes. Don't bother with the link from a prior post as it does not apply to rewards.Also travel guard does NOT cover rewards. If it is not in writing it is not covered.

I had to make a claim agaist a reward and I got lucky as far as coverage goes.

In order to give you a better answer,when does your cruise leave? How did you recieve the reward? (gift cert,voucher,other form???)

Steve

Steve,

I'm back in town and just got your message. My cruise leaves May 19th. I earned the Marriott-issued reward through collecting points through the years from Marriott stays and through my Marriott timeshare. If I have to cancel at the last minute, I want an insurance that will cover the fees (up to the entire cost of the cruise.) Marriott will let me use the reward certificate for another trip. Can you help?

Steve,

I'm back in town and just got your message. My cruise leaves May 19th. I earned the Marriott-issued reward through collecting points through the years from Marriott stays and through my Marriott timeshare. If I have to cancel at the last minute, I want an insurance that will cover the fees (up to the entire cost of the cruise.) Marriott will let me use the reward certificate for another trip. Can you help?

Yes,I might be able to.

I take it that you put down a cash deposit?

If not,did you already redeem the certificate?(reward)

If so, on your receipt/statement how does the math/figures show.

Did you have to have the certificate in hand when you called and give them several numbers off of it?

When I had a claim prior using rewards my paperwork showed my reward as a cash payment,does yours? How is it being treated?(or you have not gotten that far)

Will the certificate/reward come to you as a free cruise?

Free cruise,you pay ports,taxes,and fee's?

Cash off the cruise?

Will there be any air involved?

Who are you sailing with? Carnival has an optional insurance program.

Where does it state that if you cancel that you can use it on another trip?Once you hit the penalty phase (around 100 days out) your reward is fully earned as a rule.

Steve

When booking I gave Holland America the certificate number, then mailed it to them. I only pay for taxes, port charges, etc. I will be booking air myself and wish for this to be covered with the insurance also. On my Marriott reward certificate it states that, when Holland America receives all cancellation fees my certificate will be returned. My TA has recomended AccessAmerica...says that they provide the type of insurance I'm looking for.

Thank you!

When booking I gave Holland America the certificate number, then mailed it to them. I only pay for taxes, port charges, etc. I will be booking air myself and wish for this to be covered with the insurance also. On my Marriott reward certificate it states that, when Holland America receives all cancellation fees my certificate will be returned. My TA has recomended AccessAmerica...says that they provide the type of insurance I'm looking for.

Thank you!

The return of the certificate is correct,but you have to realize that real quick,the penalty fees become huge.Around 60 days before the penalty is 50%,then around 30 days its 75%,then 15 days 100%. Those figures are of the TOTAL FARE,not what you pay in taxes and ports.

AccessAmerica might be your best bet.

Take care

Steve

Archived