Better to Taxi from Rome Airport to Termini Hotel or Train?

We have 4 of us (ages - early 50s) arriving 3 days before our 12-day cruise on the Liberty on Oct. 22nd out of Rome. I was wondering about whether it would be better to take a taxi from the airport to the Oceania Hotel (right near the Termini train station) or should we just take a taxi? I've heard the airport train tickets are 11E each for a total of 44E. Seems like I heard a taxi ride would cost around 50-60E - is that the right amount, minus cost per luggage and tip?

We've about decided to definitely take the train to Cittavecchia (sp?) since it's SO inexpensive and we've basically got all day Sunday to get there at 9E each for a private car. We do have a private driver for the return trip to the airport (at about 33E each).

I'm just starting to dread dragging suitcases onto an airport train and then dragging them down the street to our hotel.

What do y'all think?

We've taken the train into Termini twice, once to our hotel also near the station, another time continuing on to Civitavecchia. It's a relatively easy trip and certainly less expensive, but the luggage issue is always a factor. The ride is under an hour if I recall.

That being said, if the taxi is only 10-20 euro more, I'd go with the taxi. Ah, the benefit of traveling in a pack!

Good luck and happy travels.

PS. The ride to Civ. is also quite easy and inexpensive and the ships are within comfortable walking distance along a pleasant oceanside boulevard. There's a free shuttle bus from the port entrance to the ship's berth.

Does anyone know what a taxi costs from FCO to a hotel by the Termini Station?

It is about 40€ not counting tip and there maybe an additional charge for luggage.(and possibly for 2 add.px,but not sure on this)You may want to see if any of the taxi's are vans as it would be a lot easier for the 4 of you.You could also see if you would want to hire a private pickup serive...here are some links..

Rome Taxi Shuttle Limousine, first class car service in Rome

ABOUT US

Limousine service Rome, Limousines Roma

We took the train in May, the Leonardo Express-9,50 euros pp, from the airport to the Termini station then walked to our hotel 2 blocks from the station.

I wouldn't want to take the train with a lot of luggage or heavy luggage. You have to hike it up into the train, take it down aisles until you find a seat and possibly have to take it up or down stairs once you reach the station (can't quite remember that part).

Also, the cobblestone streets in Rome are challenging.

DH and I only had a carryon and shoulder bag for our Liberty Europe cruise so for us it was easy.

How much luggage will you each have, how big are they?

We'll all have our big bags with us - husband and I will probably have one 25" bag and a carryon - two carryons for him. The other two ladies travelling with us will probably also have 2-3 bags, counting some big bags. So, I've about decided to take a taxi from the airport to the hotel, but probably take the train to the port. We already have a private driver to take us from the port to the airport for the return.

We'll all have our big bags with us - husband and I will probably have one 25" bag and a carryon - two carryons for him. The other two ladies travelling with us will probably also have 2-3 bags, counting some big bags. So, I've about decided to take a taxi from the airport to the hotel, but probably take the train to the port. We already have a private driver to take us from the port to the airport for the return.

Just so you know there are quite a few stairs at the station at the port train station...you may want to rethink the train to the port,and do a taxi or private driver...sharing it will cost you a lot less.

Just so you know there are quite a few stairs at the station at the port train station...you may want to rethink the train to the port,and do a taxi or private driver...sharing it will cost you a lot less.

Ditto! That's way too much stuff for train travel. Trust us!

Hey Lucy: Don't expect to get the 4 of you + luggage into a regular taxi. I was talking to Rome Shuttle and they said I'd need a mini van (priced for 6) to get the luggage for 4 into it (Rome to ship). I have a Town Car and I can barely get our luggage (2) into the trunk. The back seat generally gets its share of stuff. I was in Miami once with our luggage to go to the ship and a taxi pulled up,he looked at our luggage, got back in and drove off.

I'm prepaid with Viator for $36 for 2 from the airport to Rome. They have shuttles that leave every half hour. I printed my voucher and I'm all set. I'm staying in Rome the night after the cruise and I don't know how I'll get to the hotel yet. I have lots of time and might just take the train...

John

I got a price quote for Viator on for a private driver of $120 for 4 - I think it's because it's a price for 4-6 people. Now, their shuttle is cheaper - it's $71. That's still more expensive than a taxi for 40E ($48 + tip). However, like you said, we may have to hope for a taxi that will take 4 of us. I think we'll still look for a taxi - when we were in Barcelona, we got taxis for 4 of us from the airport to the city, city to the port and from the port to the airport - in regular size taxi's every time. One driver did strap our luggage to the top of his cab while the others managed to cram our 4 good-sized bags into the trunk. We'll try it and hope for the best - either that or we'll just get lots and lots of euros and spread them throughout Europe. Wait, I think we were going to do that anyway!

Keep in mind that the train from FCO to the Rome Termini will cost you 9.5 Euros per person. And you will than have a long walk through the termini station (its a couple of blocks to the main entrance) and than you will still probably want a taxi to your hotel. IMHO, if you have a lot of luggage its a good place to spend a few more dollars for a taxi from the airport.

Hank

Archived