Warwick Castle

pcur

I would like to spend the day at Warwick Castle. DH is going to a car show next May (part of the reason for our trip), and it's near the castle.

So, my questions:

I've got a little map of the castle and surrounding area. There is a Stables Car Park at the corner of Castle Hill Road and Castle Lane. Nearby is a coffee shop (I think it's nearby: The Meeting Point). Can I walk through the car park to the entrance and ticket window? The map isn't to scale, but I'm assuming it's flat if cars are parking there.

I'd like DH to drop me off early so he can get to his car show when it opens, and the castle doesn't open until 10 AM.

Also, I read a review that the food is overpriced and not very good inside the castle complex. Should I take a snack with me?

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Warwick is quite a small town. The parking you mention leads to the entrance, there is also a very convenient car park called St Nicholas which is almost opposite the main entrance. The food at the castle is standard but OK. There are lots of places to sit outside and picnic if the weather allows. As you are right in the centre of Warwick, you can also eat at any number of places in the town when you leave.

A particular favourite of mine in Warwick is St John's Museum. A sweet little place full of Victoriana - a school room, a kitchen and some interesting exhibits in a beautiful historic house. If you where to park in St Nicholas there is a little walkway directly to St John's. St Nicholas Park itself is an attractive municipal park. You can walk down to the river and hire a rowing boat. If you row for 5 minutes you get the best view of the castle.

Jane

x

It's been a few years since I was last in Warwick, so my information might be a bit out of date. But... For lunch, you might want to check out The Tudor House Inn (90-92 West Street, opposite the castle car park entrance), or The Tilted Wig (11 Market Place, two minutes' walk from the castle). I also recall having an enjoyable late afternoon tea at a tea shop (of course) at one end of town, but can't recollect the name or the precise location. (My wife would probably remember it.)

Aside from the castle, of course, I'd also recommend visiting St. Mary's Church.

As English Jane suggests, Warwick is a very pleasant & attractive town), compact enough for the visitor to be able to see easily on foot, but with enough historical & architectural attractions to allow you to enjoy a full day's activities.

Thank you both!

I'll see about walking around and seeing the other sites you mentioned.

Even just using the extra time in the morning before the castle opens, it sounds like an interesting place to walk around in. Assuming the weather is permitting, but I'll walk in anything short of a torrential downpour!

Peggy,

Just a brief update to my previous post. I gave my memory a bit of jogging last night, & recalled that the place where I've twice had lunch in Warwick is the bar of the Lord Leycester Hotel (17 Jury Street). Very pleasant.

There's a tea room (called Brethern's Kitchen) at the Lord Leycester Hospital (founded 1571), which itself is one of the main historical sites of Warwick, centrally located on the High Street. The tea room receives a glowing recommendation in Frommer's. ("...cool stone floors and wonderful exposed oak beams.")

(My wife reminds me that the tea shop I mentioned earlier was near the Old Forge; her word for the place is "charming." But that was a dozen years ago! I don't know if it's still in business. I wouldn't be surprised if it's been converted into a bistro.)

Having paid a rather pricy admission fee for the castle, do spend time strolling around the castle grounds and gardens. Also, if you have strong legs & a head for heights, climb to the top of the castle wall (I think--or was it a tower? My recollection, as I say, is just slightly woolly) for a breathtakingly panoramic view of the surrounding countryside. On a clear day, you can see Birmingham (though I'm not sure that's an advantage!) On the other hand, if you're at all claustrophobic (as I am), you might want to skip the dungeons!

The castle's private apartments (more akin to those of a great manor house than to what one normally thinks of as a castle) are, of course, well worth exploring. Don't be put off by the fact that the place is now owned by Madame Toussaud's. The exhibitions are tasteful, not tacky, and the restoration work is historically sensitive & accurate.

Hmmm... Warwick is about as far from the sea as you can get in Britain, but you'll certainly enjoy the place!

Cheers,

John

Wow! Thanks again, John!

I will be inside the castle for most of the day, and I'll definitely talk the walk, assuming I won't get drenched.

I'll pass on the long stairs and high tower. I hug the wall when I get more than 18 inches off the ground!

Archived