We rea leaving Friday on Airtran any recent problems

crazycruzer68

Hdawson - Again, I thank you on behalf of all my coworkers. Too often, passengers blame the bad weather, delays, etc on the closest person to them and fail to see the bigger picture. The favorite part of my job are the passengers that seem to enjoy spending part of their trip with you (especially the children on their way to Disney!!). I know that air travel is definately what is used to be twenty, even ten years ago and how stressful it is just to get to the gate.

Geema - There are several perks availible for upgrading. The seats are of course much more roomy, bus class is boarded first and deplanes first. Predeparture beverages and unlimited adult beverages are also part of the upgrade. But you would have to be the one to decide if the cost difference is worth the price.

How long is your layover going to MIA? Are you cruising from MIA or Ft Lauderdale?

Thanks for the info about business class. We'll see what's available when we check in and decide if we want to upgrade.

Our layover in Atlanta is almost 3 hours between DTW and MIA. Time enough for some dinner! Only been to Atlanta twice and that was 10 years ago and remember it being very, very busy! Hopefully they'll have some nice places to catch something to eat.

We cruise from MIA but not until the next day.

Steve. As you surely know that was ValueJet. As you also surely know the culprit in that tragic accident was Sabretech an outside contractor, who had illegally labeled oxygen cannisters as empty, when in fact they were fully charged, against FAA rules. Steve, if you haven't read the final NTSB accident report, Please read it.

They haven't crashed a plane since the Everglades accident 9 years ago.

Hope that helps!

Actually, I believe it was almost 12 or so years ago, I'll be more than glad to look it up for you. Also, interesting to note that the CEO of SabreTech pretty much got off any charges, as he fled the country to a foreign country that would not recognize extradition. I think that three of the workers that actually loaded the oxygen cannisters onto the plane were convicted. It was a terrible tragedy for all who lost loved ones, but before you hold it up to the traveling public, I do wish you would research the incident just a little bit and make sure that you do have all of the facts.

quinceemom. Don't expect a reply.

It wasn't AirTran that took off in Lexington, Ky on a runway half the required length three months ago. It wasn't AirTran last winter that ran off the runway at Midway and into a busy city thoroghfare in Chicgo. Of course, no airline is immune to tragedys but the US has an enviable safety record.

How about it Steve? Read the final report yet?

• 2 weeks later...

We flew AirTran in June '06...Minneapolis to Tampa...Price was awesome, service was great and all of our flights were on time if I recall correctly. We had 1 stop in Atlanta...departing and returning...but the staff were very good in directing you where to go. For a first timer in Atlanta it was remarkably easy!

I did notice that alot of their flights were overbooked. I'm not sure if this is their particular practice or if time of year was a factor. Had we been fast enough in line to bump our flight (to 1 hr later) we would have received a free flight as well. LOL...we were ready for this on our return but, sadly, OUR flight was not overbooked.

I will definitely book with them again.

Quinceemom,

If you don't mind another question,

We are flying out Fbe 25th, the end of Feb vacation week, and we paid a low fare but have not picked our seats, can they give them away if I'm not there the 2 hours prior. We have a 12:20pm flight out of Mia and the ship docks in Mia so we should make it, but I've read that they over book alot and you could lose your seat.

One thing you could do is to have relatives/friends who aren't traveling with you check you in 24 hours prior to your flight. Then when you get to the airport, just say you left your boarding passes at home and they'll reprint them for you with no-ill effect.

AirTran is a financially healthy airline, no worries there.

Inflight service is the basic, drinks & pretzels only.

They do offer XM Satellite Radio for inflight entertainment - a nice choice if you ask me.

My only gripe with AirTran is that their seat pitch is only 30" (most arilines are 31"-33") which makes for a tight fit, especially if you are 5'10" or taller.

Agreed, it is quite cramped

• 3 weeks later...

We just got home and used AirTran. It was great! They were very friendly and helpful. We had a group booking and the three families involved all checked in at different times and had no problems. We connected in Atlanta and everything went smooth. I was worried about our 35 minute connection coming home yesterday but we were ahead of time and had almost 50 minutes between. The captain let my grandkids look into the cockpit and had my grandson say something on the microphone. He got a Future Pilot pin. They also acknowledged the kids when introducing the staff.

I would absolutely travel on AirTran again.

I've just had a new experience with AirTran. I was able to call and get a price reduction on a reservation I'd already made. Of course, I can only get credit and not a refund, but I still appreciate being able to do that. Now, if AirTran could let me do this for myself online (without a $50 fee) like Southwest, I'd be ecstatic. ;)

Archived