What is the best way to travel from SEA to VAN?

RMcoolX

My party will consist of me, my wife, and our 9-yr old daughter. Is it best to get a rental car, take a bus, or taxi from the airport to the cruise terminal? Is there a train? I'm not so much worried about what is the cheapest, but we do like to get the best-bang-for-the-buck.

While it's much cheaper for us to fly in to SEA, we would rather take a cruise out of VAN.

I haven't done it yet myself but after a lot of research on these boards I have determined that the train is the way to go for us. Amtrak goes directly from SEA to VAN every morning and returns every evening. Very reasonable (imho) too, about $100 round trip for the two of us. Considering how much $$$ you can save flying into SEA might be worth it.

Plus I've read that it is a very scenic way to go as the train hugs the coast most of the way there.

Again, haven't done it but have it planned for our 06/07 Mercury cruise! Hope that helps!

I highly recommend Amtrak. We went in 2004 at a cost of $23 per person. I'm sure it has gone up since then but, should still be reasonable. 4 hours along the coast - beautiful scenery.

The only train in reverse is in the evening. We used the cruiseline transfer for the trip back to Seattle.

We drove a rental car from Vancouver to Seattle at the end of our cruise.

The cost was fine - $170 (included drop off fee for one way rental) but Saturday waiting to get through the border was over an hour wait.

Part of the drive is downtown Vancouver so you need to have a good map and be comfortable driving in city traffic.

Amtrak would be a great way to go unfortunately the train is not cruise friendly as the only northbound departure is daily at around 6am out of SEA and the only southbound departure daily out of VAN is at approx 5pm getting you to SEA around about 9pm to late for any connecting flights.

However if you are willing to spend a night in a SEA hotel each way than that is a great option.

There is also a Direct Shuttle Bus SEA airport to VAN cost 1 wAY $44. can. This bus service leaves right from the SEA airport and runs 5 trips per day. It will also pick you up right at the cruise ship terminal for the return to SEA.

Called Quick Shuttle 604-940-4428

Or you can rent a car and drive.

The drive from SEA to VAn is easy on the I-5 all the way to the border and then you only have to get into VAncouver and to the dock. or your hotel if you are staying over in VAN.

Time to drive from SEA to border about 2 hours. Border to dock depending on traffic about 1 hour.

Hope this helps

The train by all means. I just did it last month. Do yourself a favor and upgrade to business class. For the few extra $$, IMHO, it is definitely worth it. Also, think of the travel experience you're giving your 9 year old. Not many kids get a chance to ride a train anymore. The train leaves Seattle at 7:40 AM. People on the train with us got off and headed immediately for the pier.

Okay, we are doing a southbound cruise and will end up in VAN, but we want to stay there one or two nights and leave to SEA the next day. Who did you rent a car from? If we take the train, what can we do in VAN from hotel check out until 5pm? The 9pm arrival doesn't bother us, as our flight doesn't leave until midnight. We have never been to Canada, so want to see some sights there as well as SEA. There will be five of us. Are there any other suggestions?

Okay, we are doing a southbound cruise and will end up in VAN, but we want to stay there one or two nights and leave to SEA the next day. Who did you rent a car from? If we take the train, what can we do in VAN from hotel check out until 5pm? The 9pm arrival doesn't bother us, as our flight doesn't leave until midnight. We have never been to Canada, so want to see some sights there as well as SEA. There will be five of us. Are there any other suggestions?

Haven't been yet, but I requested a visitor's guide from the Vancouver Chamber of Commerce and boy is it just chock full of great stuff! I highly recommend getting it. We will have the time between disembarking the ship and getting on the train and will probably do the trolley tour of the city. Not a huge amount of time but we figure this will be the best way to see as much of the city as possible!

We booked our shuttle bus through Princess for somewhere around $40 per person. We went in June this year. It was great. We just had to fill out the form for the border, and a guy just came on and collected the forms and let us go. We got to stop at a rest stop, even though there was a restroom onboard. It was nice, because the driver was very familiar with the area, and was pointing everything out for us. I don't know about Amtrak, but the bus pulled right into (and I do mean into) the port right next to the ship and at the door of customs and embarkation. We didn't have to worry about getting our bags. They were taken right off the bus and were in our cabin in no time. I love trains and was supposed to go on the one from Whittier to Anchorage where we stayed for 3 days after the cruise, but we had the norovirus, so we weren't allowed.:( We had opted for the bus due to booking the one after the cruise. I am glad though. Where does the train drop you off???? How close to the ship? That would be my concern. Do you need to get a cab and take your luggage to the ship? These are things I haven't seen discussed on any of the threads. If the train gets you right to the ship, then I would say do the train with the coastal view. If you want to save some $$ for the trip, take the bus. Enjoy whatever you decide!!!:)

Alaswhales

The train by all means. I just did it last month. Do yourself a favor and upgrade to business class. For the few extra $$, IMHO, it is definitely worth it. Also, think of the travel experience you're giving your 9 year old. Not many kids get a chance to ride a train anymore. The train leaves Seattle at 7:40 AM. People on the train with us got off and headed immediately for the pier.

We did the same thing, the train trip was just beautiful. We also booked business class, you get priority dining in the dining car and you get to go through customs first. You also get a $3 coupon for food either in the dining car or snack car.

We used QuickShuttle for the transfer back after the cruise. It cost more than Amtrak and definately was not as comfortable or as scenic, but still an ok transfer.

We rented from Alamo in Canada Place. There are right there when you walk off the ship then we dropped the car off at the Sea-Tac airport. They even gave us a free upgrade!

RMXCool - before you totally commit to flying to SEA (because it is cheaper) MAKE SURE you explore every single option and watch the Internet close for prices.

I was able to get a non-stop flight from JFK to YVR on a morning of my cruise (Fri, Sept 15th) for only $160.00\pp on Air Canada.

The plane left at 7:45 am NY Time and landed in Vancouver IIRC at 10:30 am Vancouver Time.

After going through customs, getting the luggage and grabbing a cab ($31.00 CAN for the cab! I gave the guy $35.00 US and he literally was going to hug & kiss me :D) I was at Canada Place by 11:45, give or take and aboard the ship in another 30 mins...

We are flying into SEA and plan to rent a car. Right now I have a mini van booked with Avis for $122 inc. taxes. We are going to fly in a day early and stay overnight in Seattle. For the 4 of us this seems to be the least expensive option.

Michele

Where does the train drop you off???? How close to the ship? That would be my concern. Do you need to get a cab and take your luggage to the ship? These are things I haven't seen discussed on any of the threads. If the train gets you right to the ship, then I would say do the train with the coastal view. If you want to save some $$ for the trip, take the bus. Enjoy whatever you decide!!!:)

Alaswhales

Amtrak disembarks near the Canada Place port, but either a taxi or SkyTrain is necessary to get to there, in my opinion. Very easy (and cheap) to take the SkyTrain, but a little walking is necessary. If I had several suitcases, or ones without rollers, I'd opt for a short taxi ride from the station to the terminal.

We thoroughly enjoy Amtrak. Although a transfer, it also doubles as a wonderful and inexpensive 'excursion' along the coast!

Next June, my DW & I plan to fly into Seattle the day prior to our cruise and then take Amtrak (business class of course) to Vancouver on day of sail (saturday). On our return, RCCL shows disembarkation starts at 7:00am. We are looking at an 11:30a AirCanada flight from Vancouver to Seattle. We have much past experience departing the San Juan airport and I have learned a lot from reviewing these boards, but I'm looking for some help from experienced visitors with Vancouver.

How is taxi from Amtrak to cruise ship dock (time & price)?

Will an 11:30a departing flight allow us enough time to get to and thru airport?

Should we purchase RCCL transfer to airport to lessen the US Customs delays?

Any other helpful tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Next June, my DW & I plan to fly into Seattle the day prior to our cruise and then take Amtrak (business class of course) to Vancouver on day of sail (saturday). On our return, RCCL shows disembarkation starts at 7:00am. We are looking at an 11:30a AirCanada flight from Vancouver to Seattle. We have much past experience departing the San Juan airport and I have learned a lot from reviewing these boards, but I'm looking for some help from experienced visitors with Vancouver.

How is taxi from Amtrak to cruise ship dock (time & price)?

Will an 11:30a departing flight allow us enough time to get to and thru airport?

Should we purchase RCCL transfer to airport to lessen the US Customs delays?

Any other helpful tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Amtrak is only about 10min to the dock. I think our cab fare was about $10-$15ca.

• 3 weeks later...

There didn't really seem to be many hotels near the Amtrak station in Seattle. It also didn't appear to be in the best part of town, although the station is very pretty and historic.

We stayed at the Sheraton towers(booked on Hotwire for $130 incl/taxes) downtown within walking distance of Pike Place Market, Space Needle, etc. I think the cab ride to Amtrak was around $15.

Archived