How do you know if you'll be docked or tendered?

cruzin virgin

Just booked a tour on St Maarten for July 2007. I was asked if we would be docked or tendered as this makes a difference as to where we meet our guide. Is there some way of finding out whether the ship will be docked or not. Perhaps a special website or something? Thanks to you ahead of time if you can help me out. We'll be on the RCCL Adventure of the Seas if that makes any difference to your answer.

Adventure docks in St. Maarten. There are at least 4 docking spots in St. Maarten and ships only have to tender if there are more than that. AOS is in St. Maarten on Fridays which isn't one of the more popular dates, since most Eastern Caribbean cruises have to be back in Miami on Saturday or Sunday and St. Maarten is at least one sea day away from South Florida. In fact, through the next year, at most there will be 2 other ships in port with it, and most of them are much smaller ships.

Usually if you go to your cruise line website and look at the itinerary it will indicated tendered or docked against each port. Although it is usually accurate I have seen incorrect postings. Jim

We have seen changes due to different reasons. One time in St Marteen we tendered because they spent the day scraping the ships bottom. :D Ports can be overcrowded and some have to tender while other dock. I have seen that in PV and Alaska for instance.

Archived