Bad customer relations

dorowilder

I fell on the escalator on the Metro in St Petersburg and cut both arms requiring $615 of overpriced inefficient medical care $345 for the first visit $90 each for 3 follow up visits. (My Harvard educated board certified dermatologist at home charged $61 for the follow up visits required after the cruise since the wound had become infected despite the 4 visits to the ship's doctor.)

While my insurance, taken through Oceania supposedly covers this, the insurance company makes things as difficult as possible. I wrote to Oceania 4 times suggesting they credit me for the insurance money and have the insurance company pay them. I also told them I thought they should refund the price of the excursion since they never warned that it was difficult, though the guide on the bus going to the Metro station warned us, after it was too late to withdraw.

Oceania has totally ignored all my letters, except to send a form letter saying they would look into it.

Dorowilder,

So sorry to hear about your fall. Hope you are doing better now.

Concerning insurance I found it most helpful under "Cruise Lines A-O", "Oceania Cruises", titled, "Who has collected under travel insurance?" I hope it will help with the insurance collection.

... I also told them I thought they should refund the price of the excursion since they never warned that it was difficult, though the guide on the bus going to the Metro station warned us, after it was too late to withdraw...

Do you mean that an excursion (nomatter with whom) in St. Petersburg will be physically demanding, such as quite a bit of walking, climbing, etc.? Also, are those excursions long, lasting a whole day? Thank you.

What on earth more can be expected from Oceania......

Fell on an escalator..............that just does not sound too strenuous to me.....had you have had to walk down 100 stairs and you were not warned, then I think that you may have had an axe to grind.

You were on a City Tour....that involves walking.....maybe they should have warned you that there was traffic in case you were knocked down....nah...thats silly.

In England we do NOT have health warnings on escalators.

I am sorry that you hurt yourself but why blame Oceania.

Brian

First, I feel very bad for the OP and hope their fall did not ruin their trip. I just went and glanced at the excursions Oceania lists on their website and all of the St. Petersburg ones have at least two if not three people which would indicate that all excursions are at least moderate activity. I'm not quite sure what this person is expecting Oceania to do, especially since the incident was on an escalator, as someone else said, it wasn't a fall on stairs or anything like that. If your medical insurance won't cover you more easily, then just fill out the forms that are needed for your travel insurance.

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry about your accident. I think the ship's doctor charged way too much, and Oceania ought to refund you all or most of the money you paid for the poor care you apparently received. Oceania should assist you with recovering from the insurance company. Call Oceania and talk to someone rather than writing or e-mailing. Maybe that will help.

BeBe

It is the insurance company that make life more difficult. They want lots of paperwork & signatures.

The OP does not say where they got the initial care ...whether it was in Russia or on the ship.

DH paid $500. on a cruise (not O) for 2 shots of antibiotics, 10 days of antibiotic pills and 3-4 office visits aboard ship.

So the price they paid was not too much.

Maybe by N.A. standards but not on a ship, like everything else it costs more on a cruise.

Since the OP has not responded from their first post hopfully they got their refund.

It is the insurance company that make life more difficult. They want lots of paperwork & signatures.

The OP does not say where they got the initial care ...whether it was in Russia or on the ship.

DH paid $500. on a cruise (not O) for 2 shots of antibiotics, 10 days of antibiotic pills and 3-4 office visits aboard ship.

So the price they paid was not too much.

Maybe by N.A. standards but not on a ship, like everything else it costs more on a cruise.

Since the OP has not responded from their first post hopfully they got their refund.

LHT28,

It sure sounds as though the medical care, if you want to call it that, was on the ship. The fact that your husband paid $500 for seeing a doctor, getting some pills and then having follow-up does not make it a fair charge. It also sounds way too high. Justifying the high prices on a ship for services the ship should provide at a fair rate of charge? Why be an apologist when a charge is too high? Because it is the way it is? And the OP said the care was poor as well. Your DH did not receive poor care, which distinguishes your case from that of the OP.

It's a very good idea to take antibiotics with you when you go on a trip. My DH and I did this on our cruise this summer. We got colds and took the antibiotics. It didn't cost anything but two $10 co-pays. I'd rather not rely upon a ship's doctor and some out-of-date antibiotics I might get on the ship.

Not meant for LHT28:

Finally, what floors me about this Board is the sometimes and continued lack of empathy by some (certainly not by all) for problems people have and the apologist attitude toward lack of response by management of a cruise line. Any of this could happen to anybody. You might be the next one to slip and fall on an elevator. So you who have laughed off the problem, put yourselves in the place of those who are less fortunate, because the next time it WILL be you -- and you will be complaining.

What floors me about some posters is an assumption of facts which have not been presented sufficiently to make a judgment of the scenario presented.

What floors me is consistent negativity from some posters who immediately blame a vendor for an individual's mishap and encourage legal remedies without personal knowledge of the occurrence or the charges.

What floors me is taking antibiotics for colds which, over the decades, has resulted in superbugs which have risen above the capability of most existing antibiotics.

Some people just floor me.

Ruby

What if it were an oncologist who prescribed the antibiotics to his patient and spouse? What if it were a cardiologist? Do you know whether we had physician advice because of our particular health status? If you don't, you are making assumptions and doing exactly what you preach to be wrong.

By the way, where was the legal advice on this thread of which you speak? I'd like to know what it was so I can make use of it in the future.

BeBe

LHT28,

It sure sounds as though the medical care, if you want to call it that, was on the ship. The fact that your husband paid $500 for seeing a doctor, getting some pills and then having follow-up does not make it a fair charge. It also sounds way too high. Justifying the high prices on a ship for services the ship should provide at a fair rate of charge? Why be an apologist when a charge is too high? Because it is the way it is? And the OP said the care was poor as well. Your DH did not receive poor care, which distinguishes your case from that of the OP.

Since the OP has only made 1 post and never returned to say if they got their refund then why debate it.

We don't know all the facts and to say they got "overpriced inefficient medical care" is the opinion of the OP.

They were probably frustrated & angry at the time.

I was just pointing out that it was not an unreasonable amount for cruiselines ...right or wrong that is the charge.

I'm sorry, I specifically read that "we got colds and took the antibiotics" brought with you on your cruise. Did I misunderstand? Now there is talk about oncologists, cardiologists, specific health status.

The OP fell on an escalator, not an elevator. I would be gobsmacked if anyone made light of an obviously serious situation - who could be so cruel? I do not agree that Oceania is responsible for the injury.

You advised that "Oceania ought to refund you all or most of the money you paid for the poor care you apparently received." And "I'd rather not rely upon a ship's doctor and some out-of-date antibiotics I might get on the ship."

"...poor care you apparently received,"...some out-of-date antibiotics...?" Remind me - who is assuming?

Ruby

Some people just floor me.

Ruby

Dear Ruby....just remember the source. :rolleyes:

And if we ...god forbid..... require personal responsiblity, a large number of lawyers would be out of a job. (There are good lawyers. But others ..... and they often know who they are..... cause our cruises to cost more with junk lawsuits and claims.)

SDevil

I am sorry about your accident. I think the ship's doctor charged way too much, and Oceania ought to refund you all or most of the money you paid for the poor care you apparently received. Oceania should assist you with recovering from the insurance company. Call Oceania and talk to someone rather than writing or e-mailing. Maybe that will help.

BeBe

This is what started the posts in this thread referring to lawyers. It comes down to a simple suggestion to the OP - CALL OCEANIA.

When and why did this thread turn into lawyer bashing? Who said anything about "sue"? Certainly, not I. When did a telephone call turn into a lawsuit?

Your responses are so very predictable. I do love to be the person you hate. Every mean-spirited response you make is a compliment.

BeBe

P.S. See you on the escalator in St. Petersburg.

It's a very good idea to take antibiotics with you when you go on a trip. My DH and I did this on our cruise this summer. We got colds and took the antibiotics. It didn't cost anything but two $10 co-pays. I'd rather not rely upon a ship's doctor and some out-of-date antibiotics I might get on the ship.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO - It's a VERY BAD idea!!!!!

Antibiotics should NEVER be taken except under medical supervision. Any medical professional with prescriptive authority who prescribes antibiotics profilactically is bordering on committing malpractice.

Antibiotics are seen by patients as the cure for all kinds of ailments, but they are worthless in curing any kind of viral infection (e.g. colds, flu. runny nose, viral headaches, etc.). Unfortunately, medical professionals are expected to write a script for something, and patients are usually unable to tolerate the idea of allowing the virus to take its course (which it eventually does anyway), so it's often easier to simply prescribe a pill. The rampant abuse of antibiotics causes significant problems as their use becomes ineffective with persistent over use.

There are also many different types of antibiotics which can be prescribed for differing types of bacterial infections.

I have not heard of "out-of-date" antibiotics being prescribed on a ship, and so I see this remark as an untruthful "volley". I guess the truth might get in the way of making a point ??

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO - It's a VERY BAD idea!!!!!

Antibiotics should NEVER be taken except under medical supervision. Any medical professional with prescriptive authority who prescribes antibiotics profilactically is bordering on committing malpractice.

Antibiotics are seen by patients as the cure for all kinds of ailments, but they are worthless in curing any kind of viral infection (e.g. colds, flu. runny nose, viral headaches, etc.). Unfortunately, medical professionals are expected to write a script for something, and patients are usually unable to tolerate the idea of allowing the virus to take its course (which it eventually does anyway), so it's often easier to simply prescribe a pill. The rampant abuse of antibiotics causes significant problems as their use becomes ineffective with persistent over use.

There are also many different types of antibiotics which can be prescribed for differing types of bacterial infections.

I have not heard of "out-of-date" antibiotics being prescribed on a ship, and so I see this remark as an untruthful "volley". I guess the truth might get in the way of making a point ??

OOPS, you forgot to put the MD behind your name.

Since I'm not familiar with the use of big words I tried looking your long word (profilactically) up in the dictionary and lo and behold there wasn't such a word. OOPS

Since I'm not familiar with the use of big words I tried looking your long word (profilactically) up in the dictionary and lo and behold there wasn't such a word. OOPS

Try Google. Just Google the word "profilactically". You'll come up with dozens, if not hundreds or thousands, of respected medical articles using the word as it is intended.

And, no, I'm not a physician.

It's been a while since I've been in a big bar brawl ... never been to an escalator melee (are they fun?)

Anyway, this has all probably gone a bit far for a genteel cruise board. OP hasn't responded and has probably done what OP should have done in the first place: spend the time to give the insurance company their pound of paperwork.

Shall we let this thread go to sleep?

Excuse me, I was tired and didn't proof read too well. Of course the word is spelled "prophylactically".

Archived