Booking a Cruise - Canadian

camp1980

I am just wondering if people book through Canadian Travel agents or the ones in the US? Also do you use an actual travel agency (one that you could go into) or book through an online travel agency either on the phone or directly online? What about the US travel agencies online that offer free insurance as a promotion, does this cover Canadian's as well?

I am traveling in late November with a group of 6 adults. I am assuming that I would have to call a travel agency to book at the least since it doesn't appear that you can book more then one cabin at a time online.

Also does anyone have a recommendation for a good travel agent for Canadian's, I am located in Toronto. I don't know if you are allowed to post this information but you could email me at dcamp1980@yahoo.ca.

Also any other travel hints for Canadian's would be appreciated. We are flying out of Buffalo to Florida and plan to book the flight ourselves.

Thanks

The third-party recommendation of travel agents and agencies is not allowed on Cruise Critic's Message Board forums.

Posts recommending (or warning against) travel agents, travel agencies, cruise-only agencies, travel/cruise brokers, or Personal Cruise Consultants at any cruise line, or any other source where consumer can purchase travel will be removed from the boards. This also includes any comments included in signatures requesting members to e-mail you for information about your travel agencies.

Additionally, posts by members requesting such information will be removed., so please don't ask .

However, the general discussion of the merits of using a BRICK AND MORTAR AGENCY vs and INTERNET CRUISE AGENCY vs. purchasing from the CRUISE LINE DIRECTLY will be allowed. No recommendations for any travel source will be allowed.

Travel agents who participate on the boards are encouraged to include their company name in their signature. We believe it is in our member's best interest to know which members are travel agents -- so you can best judge the content of their posts. Travel agents may not include contact information of any kind any where in their posts or profiles on Cruise Critic. (Travel Agents may not request members to e-mail them for information, or include contact information of any kind in their signatures or posts). Finallly, Cruise Critic reserves the right to rescind the above in the event travel agents/agencies abuse this privilege.

We anticipate your cooperation, and thank you for your participation. Laura

PS: Do not feel bad. I made the same mistake when I first started posting questions here.

I originally booked my cruise with the Cruise line directly and had to pay in USD. I then had a local TA take over the booking. She did some checking and found the same cruise pretty much at par in CND through a Canadian tour provider. Worth checking it out. You could always ask friends or workmates to recommend a local agent.

OK another question. Do the Canadian Travel agents give away the on board credits as extras too? Just wondering if I find a deal on a US website that has a some type of extra if I will be able to get it through a Canadian travel agent.

Cruisinbuddy - we are looking for this Nov, I myself am not picky about a cabin location. Hopefully the others I am going with aren't either. It looks like the best deals are with the guaranteed cabin section instead of booking an actual room so that is what I plan on doing.

We have used the 'travel department' of that (car club that gives road side assistance) a couple of times. The second time because we developed a good rapport with her and trusted her choices. Then we booked directly with the cruiseline and airlines. Again, no problems. Since we have moved to a different area we are going to try a small local TA.

I think if you have the time to check things out online, you will be just fine. That research and this site will give you all the information you need to make your own arrangments. Booking directly with the cruiseline is also very easy.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

I wouldn't do without a good TA. They are there for you. They will tell you what the cruise line may not. I want someone to look out for my interests. If there is a dispute they will intervene. My TA has an 800 number and I can reach her from most places.

My TA pays minute attention to detail and my invoice has everything listed so there is no doubt as to what I am getting. She also assisted me greatly when I had to fill out the travel insurance forms after my DH's untimely death.

I feel and am taken care of by my TA. The price is the same as if I purchased my cruise from the cruise line. This being said, I have to say that not every TA is as conscientious and caring as is my gem.

Fran

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, We're from BC and we've just booked our cruise for May 2007. This will be our very first cruise. We called the cruise line direct, had a wonderful person take the reins from our unsure hands, he answered all our questions (whether small or silly), made all the arrangements that we required. He has been in contact several times both via email and phone. As we are flying out of Calgary, we also had the option of having the cruise line book our air to coinside with the cruise departure or making our own air flight arrangement, as we are a family of 6 (2 seniors, 2 adults, 2 pre-teens) as well as other friends, we chose to let the cruise lines handle this as well. From personal experience I think I would contact whatever cruise line you are interested in as well as a TA in your area and then compare what each is able to offer you, then make your decision. This worked just great for us. Hope this will help.

We've booked 3 cruises, the 1st was through a Canadian travel agent, the other 2 we have booked directly through the cruise line. They are very helpful, last cruise the airline lost our luggage when we arrived at Galveston, and the cruise line rep. was right there to make sure everything was being done to ensure the luggage was found. It certainly was nice to have someone right there. The last cruise I went online to check the price, including airfair, and asked the Canadian TA for a price - the cruiseline was much less expensive.

We have booked multiple cabins our last 2 cruises directly through the cruiseline. We just phone to book directly istead of online. They will have your reservations all connected on their end. (We had a price reduction this time, and when I called to reduce the price, they not only reduced our cabin right on the spot, but also all of our connected reservations as well.

Kim.

No matter with whom you book - ask the price in US$, and in C$, and decide which is the better deal. This changes with the cruise line, the sailing/date, how far ahead you're booking and :D the direction the wind is blowing.

Archived