Geelong Australia

roberts2005

We are on the January 5th 2007 Sydney to Auckland on the Statendam. My TA just sent me a message that we will be docking in Geelong instead of Melbourne due to port congestion. Geelong is a city 75KM south of Melbourne. Any one out there know any about this port.

Our friends still wish to go to Melbourne. Any one know of a company that would provide a car and private driver?

HI, if you follow this link it will give you a list of 5 companies who may be able to help. http://www.mctours.co.nz/shore_trips___links.html#Melbourne Let us know how this works. Regards

• 2 weeks later...

We use a limousine company called Southern Cross Limousines. They are very reliable and competitive. The phone number here is 61393221222. Unfortunately, I think with all of the limo companies, they will charge for the trip down to Geelong. Another company is Hughes Limousines.

The train runs often to Melbourne and is very fast if your friends want to make the trip to the city. If I were you, I would instead, opt to do the Great Ocean Road which is noted as the best road in the world for ocean scenery. Geelong is quite close to the start of it and would be a much prettier drive than the flat stretch of 45 miles of freeway to Melbourne from Geelong.

Jennie

Thanks Jennie, sorry about starting the new thread, I didn't see your response until after I posted. It's really going to be a hard choice. I will give your limo company a call and see what kind of price there talking about before we make a decision.

Thanks again.

Robert

Robert,

The car ride is only 45 minutes which is not a huge time. The trip is on a 6 lane freeway so it is painless, just boring as it is very flat terrain.

I have just remembered (I have just returned from 6 weeks away, from a 34 day cruise, so my brain is a bit slow at the moment) that we have an airport not far from Geelong, called Avalon, and a lot of commuters from Melbourne do use this airport, so you may be surprised at the price of the limo.

Jennie

Jennie Thanks for replying in both posts. It is a difficult choice as what to do. My wife and I have been to Melbourne and loved it. Just don't want to influence our friends. The GOR does soon very inviting. Especially the way you describe it.

Thanks again for your advice.

Just to throw in my $0.02 here ;)

Having lived in Melbourne, I agree that it is a great city, and it sounds like you enjoyed it as well roberts2005.

I will definitely agree with Jennie that the trip from Melbourne to Geelong is truly boring - nothing of much consequence to see there.

The Great Ocean Road (which as Jennie said, starts not too far from Geelong) is, on the other hand, spectacular. I've been able to make that drive 4 or 5 times and each time was truly an amazing experience.

While I understand that your friends may not have visited Melbourne previously, as you have, I still think that the Great Ocean Road may be your best bet. Melbourne is, after all, a city - and in the grand scheme of things, a city can only offer so much.

I have a small collection of photos of the GOR here: http://sarahandwill.smugmug.com/gallery/86581 - it will give you an idea of some of the sights :)

Whatever you choose, enjoy!

We use a limousine company called Southern Cross Limousines. They are very reliable and competitive. The phone number here is 61393221222. Unfortunately, I think with all of the limo companies, they will charge for the trip down to Geelong. Another company is Hughes Limousines.

Jennie

Just got off the phone with Southern Cross. They are willing to give us 8 hours at a reasonable price. I now have to put together a tour for my friends. On the top of my list will be the gardens and Capt. Cooks cottage and Victoria Market. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again Robert

Robert,

I am sure you will be very happy with Southern Cross. We are using them again tomorrow for our trip out to the airport. We are flying to Tasmania for an 8 day break. Not that we really need a break after being away for so long.:)

Regarding places to vist: The MCG which is our cricket ground and football ground and is very historical has a wonderful tour that takes in its museum. That is where the 1956 Olympics were held. You also should get the driver to show you Government House, the Museum and our Tennis Centre. Also ask him to drive you around some of our lovely suburbs such as Toorak, South Yarra and Malvern.

Jennie

Archived