Amsterdam: Info on ship!

jschutz

Am considering a 16 day or 32 day South America trip on the Amsterdam next March (2005). Has anyone sailed this particular ship? When was it built? Would appreciate any info. I usually sail Celebrity - so would also appreciate any comparisons. Also, does HAL have "Concierge Cabins" as Celebrity? And if so, what does the Concierge level provide? Thanks :) .

I returned from Alaska a week ago - my very first cruise ever, so I can't really compare it with any other ship/cruise line. Having said that, I can say that I am hesitant to try a different cruise line, for fear that no other line will come even close to the wonderful experience we had aboard the Amsterdam. We were in a category K cabin, and I have absolutely no complaints at all. Our room was comfortable, with tons of storage, and in checking around (for our next cruise, of course!), it was larger than a higher category room on other lines. The ship was placed into service in 2000, and everything looks very fresh and well-kept. This was the first vacation I've ever taken that I truly did not want to go home by the time it ended.

jschutz: The Amsterdam is a co-flag ship of the HAL fleet with the Rotterdam. She entered service in the fall of 2000, so she is still pretty new.

We have sailed on 5 different HAL ships and the Amsterdam is our favorite! We have sailed on the Amsterdam twice now, the last time was over the holidays last December and January, a 21-day South America/Antarctica cruise. It was absolutely the best HAL cruise we have ever taken, due in large part to the comfort and elegance of the Amsterdam and her crew-just outstanding across spectrum. IMHO, you should find the Amsterdam an excellent choice for a ship and HAL is a first-rate cruise line.

If you have other questions about her, ask away--lots of Amsterdam alums here!

Dear Mrs. Schutz,

I also love Celebrity and my favorite with them is the "SUMMIT".:)

I have several cruises also with HAL and can assure you that your going to be VERY happy.:D

We are going to be doing the Amsterdam on her April 15,05 Valparaiso - Seattle.

Try the site www.CruiseOnly.com and go under HAL then Amsterdam. The 360o pictures are wonderful and complete.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.:D

Just a little something...My mothers maiden name was Schultz with a t.(Micklenburg) area.

jschulz,

We have sailed 5 HAL vessels and the Amsterdam, and probably her sister the Rotterdam, are the best of the fleet. Although the menu on all ships is usually the same the food preparation and service make a big difference. Also the size, just under 1400 passengers is preferrable. The Amsterdam only has one suite deck and one A,AA,B, BC etc veranda deck so they can run out very quickly. We booked the Amsterdam Nov. 2005 Singapore to San Diego a few weeks ago and were only able to get an A guarantee and now I noticed that unless you take the full 62 sailing the verandas are closed- no more guarantees. So it is either the itinerary or the ship or both that makes this stand out.

We last sailed the Amsterdam in Dec. 2003 and the captains daily announcements were better than the comedien's in the evening show. Hope he and the chef are still there next year.

Archived