HELP!!! - Want To Try New Cruise Line, Which One

husky

I was hoping that some of you cruisers could help me out as I seem to be in a bit of a dilemma. :eek:

I have been on about 7 cruises and always go with Carnival, as I’m a single cruiser they seen to have a younger crowd and have found they have a lot more groups of cruisers and singles, rather then couples, so its easier to make friends and hang out with people.

However I thought I would take a chance and try Royal Caribbean, great ship but all couples, so spent my entire cruise on my own. :mad: So went back to cruising with carnival this year in January, had fantastic 2 weeks. However I’m bored with the destinations and really want to go to Hawaii. SO WHICH CRUISE LINE, I was looking at NCL, but with there free dining how can I meet other singles, as carnival sits you on a dinning table with all other singles.

Yep, you have quite a dilemma. Carnival is no doubt the best cruise line for singles, and any other line is likely to be disappointing if meeting other singles onboard is your focus. Perhaps you should do a search for "singles cruises" and see what that brings up.

Of course Carnival will offer your the most options and does have a younger crowd. As for Celebrity and HAL, I would not recommend either for you: both cater to couples and an older crowd. If you are a single in your 70s that would be different.

As for the freestyle dining, it will work for you if you always ask for a talbe with others (you can do this) NCL offers singles get togethers usually the first night I believe. The other option and maybe the best would be to do what cruzman suggested, check for single cruises. CC as well as other sites have some listed.

I do think, if you want to try something other than Carnival, for what you are looking for, NCL would be the first choice and Princess the other.

Nita

Of course Carnival will offer your the most options and does have a younger crowd. As for Celebrity and HAL, I would not recommend either for you: both cater to couples and an older crowd. If you are a single in your 70s that would be different.

As for the freestyle dining, it will work for you if you always ask for a talbe with others (you can do this) NCL offers singles get togethers usually the first night I believe. The other option and maybe the best would be to do what cruzman suggested, check for single cruises. CC as well as other sites have some listed.

I do think, if you want to try something other than Carnival, for what you are looking for, NCL would be the first choice and Princess the other.

Nita

Thanks for your response so far, I am a single female aged 40, I appreciate all your comments

I travelled solo on Norwegian Spirit and had a great time!

They didn't offer me to share a table with others by for dinner time, I'm sure it's something they can do, just ask.

They have a Murder Mystery Dinner on one night. You register and then they send you a letter with date and time (unfortunately, I never got the letter but that's another story). I'm sure it would be fun and you could meet other people during that dinner. The Teppenyaki room (speciality restaurant with a-la-carte pricing ranging 10-15$pp) is great too because 12 people are sitted around the cook. The night I went there, I had a great conversation with other people. I also met some people at other activities (night club, embarkation) and enjoyed dinner or lunch with some of them (but I will admit that I had lunch by myself most days but that was perfectly fine with me).

There was so many activities for all types of people on NCL, I'm sure you will have a good time.

You can read my review in the review section (JP2001).

JP

Thanks for this great thread!!!

I am in a very similar situation......single woman, 39, love to cruise solo and have thus far only cruised with Carnival for the reasons you have stated. I have only been on 4 cruises so far with #5 coming up very shortly and there are still some Carnival ships and itinerarires that interest me but I have thought about trying other cruiselines AND I am really thinking about a Hawaiian cruise as my gift to myself for my 40th birthday next spring :D

I am wary of the Freestyle Dining on NCL because although you can be seated with people it is not the same as Traditional Dining where you have the same servers and table mates every night. I have also always been seated with "like" travelers and have enjoyed Traditional Dining very very much!

From what I understand Princess is kind of "in between" offering you the choice in advance of a Traditional Dining reservation or Anytime Dining which means that at least there is the chance of a Traditional seating and being placed with solo cruisers who have made the same option.

My friends who cruised RCCL solo found a similar situation as what you describe which made be wary of cruising with them when I go alone (sometimes I cruise as a single parent with my kids).

Husky....I would love to know what you are thinking and what you decide!

Keep the suggestions coming folks! It is greatly appreciated!!

Archived