Advice for a PG 1st-timer?

alaala

It seems like there are quite a few people posting here that have been on the PG more than once, that's a good sign! I'm booked on the New Year's cruise departing 12/29/06; which is actually a delayed 40th-bday present. I'm looking forward to a relaxing, romantic trip -- but with lots of watersports. Maybe even trying diving.

I'm looking for any tips on great private moments -- heard there is the possibility of visting a motu (not the Regent one) that most people don't go on, wondering if the jet ski excursions are worth it, best place to buy myself a bday present pearl, can you get vanilla at local groceries, is am/pm better to do snorkeling excursions, how hard is it to get waterskiing reservations and tips for getting them, recommendations for excursions not organized by RSSC, especially parasailing . . . anything you have time for and are willing to share will be much appreciated! My 40th is a big one, my baby girl is all grown up and on her own, and I'm looking forward to treating myself on this one :)

alaala, Congrats on taking the New Years cruise. I wanted to but just couldn't wait that long for my third trip on the PG. I will post comments when I return after November 12, but based on my previous trips I think I can clue you in on some of your questions.

If you go to the RSSC website and pick My Cruises I think you can see the avaialble excursions.

They have a parasailing excursion while the ship is at Moorea. The wave runners around Bora Bora is a great excusion we did last time. You can buy vanilla in the stores on all the islands or you can go the Agricultural school while on Moorea and buy it there. There also is a distillery on Moorea that sells vanilla and coconut liquers which are pretty good.

We don't waterski but I doubt you will have much of a problem doing that. I think they work that off the activity dock that folds down from the stern of the ship. I have never heard anyone talk about a "private motu picnic" as part of an excursion however they have added something called "Blue Lagoon Escapade" to the Bora Bora excursions that takes you out on a speed boat. We signed up for that so when we get back I will let you know what that was all about.

Buying pearls is not my thing. I bought my wife a necklace last trip with a Tahitian pearl in it at a jewelry store while we were on Moorea, but you can buy loose pearls everywhere. I think they even have some ladies on the Motu Mahana selling them. Hopefully someone who is more knowledgeable will comment for you.

I always try to snorkel on the first trip of the day hoping that none of the creatures will have been spooked by earlier visitors, but that is just my gut instinct.

We have always used the ship excursions and have never been disappointed so I can't help you with independent operators.

I can hardly sit still I am so excited about leaving for Tahiti Tuesday morning. The only problem I have with French Polynesia and the Paul Gaugin is that it has me addicted and only another trip can cure me of the ache. You are hereby forewarned.

There are great pearl shops near the dock in Bora Bora, but my personal recommendation is the company that has the franchise on the PG, their name has changed recently, but they have a shop on Moorea. You can ogle the pearls during the week in the ship's gift shop, and then when you get to Moorea, they have a shuttle bus from the dock to the store. There are other stores in the vicinity as well, but I was very pleased with the quality, choice and service.

Alaala, I will also be on the same cruise - family of 3.

Our third time on the PG so its all about relaxing and not really doing the sights. I had wanted to visit Huahine but now its been replaced with an additional half day at Motu Mahana. As long as we can visit the Motu on the second day I dont mind.

The first time I went I enjoyed the Moorea 4x4. The second time the Bora Bora 4 x 4. My daughter did the beginners diving and enjoyed it.

I bought from Island Fashion both times. He even sold me some Kashi pearls which I had set into a white gold necklace. I didnt buy the full necklace though was planning to the last time and then changed my mind. The first time I went I got some charcoal grey pearls at Motu Mahana and had them set in a necklace with diamonds. I was fortunate to get a few of the same colour and size. Read about the various pearls before you go so you feel comfortable making the purchase.

Miriam

Archived