How early do you book private tours?

Thank you to everyone who has written about their private tour guides and recommendations. I will continue to read your suggestions eagerly.

My question today is: How early show one book a private tour guide? We'll be on the Brilliance in October, 2005.

Thank you.
Donna

I would book them as soon as you can. I booked our driver we are using for Athens this October, last year as soon as we had made our booking on the ship.

I booked our guide that we used last year for Monaco again as soon as I had made our booking and that was about 12 months in advance. The same for the driver in Rome. The guides I use do not take a deposit, just a credit card number, like in a hotel. I would not be paying out deposits because one doesn't know what can happen in the months leading up to the cruise and it is always harder to get a refund.

Jennie

I agree with Aussie Gal, the sooner you book the better. We booked for this October (10/12 - 11/7) nearly 9 months ago. Judging by some of the threads I have watched, those looking to book now are having a harder time finding drivers.

Hi Donna,
I would book now. We just got back from the med. two days ago. You are going to have a great time. We were on the Brilliance what a beautiful ship. Air-condition was great beds comfy the staff was great. Its and amazing ship.
We booked [email]tonitours@hotmail.com[/email] for a tour from the airport in Barcelona to our hotel it was great and saved a lot of time on the other city buss. Many were tired and hot but with the van it was great. Also if you haven't booked your tour for Villifrance I suggest Michel at Revelation tours. Michel was the best! He speaks great English is funny and you will love him. He is quick to get back too. Hope this helps. Trish

Thank you everyone for your quick answers. We're traveling with another couple (friends) and I'll have to get with them sooner than I thought to make arrangements.

I have so much to decide! Besides the tours, should I arrive in Barcelona a few days early to tour? Or wait until after the cruise? My daughter lives in Germany so I have to coordinate with her whether she and DH will meet us in Barcelona or we'll go to her place for a few days.

Another question: Will anyone give me a ballpark figure on how much the excursions cost if shared by two couples? If so, thank you in advance.

Donna

Hi Donna,
Our tours for 6 people were 150.00 Euros in spain. and 486 France-500-550 Rome and Florence. Might be less for 4.

We did two days before the cruise and one day after. I would cut out the day at the end of the cruise and keep the few days before. We had tons of walking and were ready to go home. But we loved Barcelona we spent a lot of time in the side streets and eating Tapas and Gelato. Trish

Hi Donna,
I, too, will begin researching ports/excursions for our trip as we are also on the Brilliance in October 2005. I just started "collecting" information and have a lot of reading to do before booking anything. We just returned from a back-to-back (Russia/Scandinavia and British Isles/Norwegian Fjords) cruise and are still recuperating.

Desertheat, what date in October? We're leaving October 15, 2005. Maybe we're on the same cruise!

Trish - What hotel were you in at Barcelona? Does it have a web site?

Thanks!!!
Donna

Yes, we are on the October 15 cruise. Since we are making this another back-to-back cruise we will also be on the October 3 cruise. With airfare so expensive we decided to do the same next year like we did this year. Our back-to-back cruises this year were fantastic. There sure is a lot of reading to do beforehand.

[quote name='desertheat']Yes, we are on the October 15 cruise. Since we are making this another back-to-back cruise we will also be on the October 3 cruise. With airfare so expensive we decided to do the same next year like we did this year. Our back-to-back cruises this year were fantastic. There sure is a lot of reading to do beforehand.[/QUOTE]

Wow Desertheat, I'm impressed! Back to back cruises two years in a row! We just got back from a 5 day Caribbean cruise with our whole family and now I can't wait until next year for the Brilliance. We have a son in college and I don't think we could afford two long ones in one year; although I hear what you're saying about the airfare. We're hoping to use our frequent flyer miles.

Donna

Next years back-to-back cruise is sixteen months away from this one so it will give us plenty of time to research ports, check on airfares, check on hotels, and save our money. Using FF miles is the way to go but I don't think we will have enough.

Have you started checking out tours yet? That is always such a big headache never knowing if the ship tour or a private tour is better.

Since the European cruises are so port intensive, a couple days pre-cruise is better (I think) because once the cruise is over we're ready to go home.

[quote name='mert461']Desertheat, what date in October? We're leaving October 15, 2005. Maybe we're on the same cruise!

Trish - What hotel were you in at Barcelona? Does it have a web site?

Thanks!!!
Donna[/QUOTE]

Hi Donna,
We stayed in Le Meridien. people were so nice. Air-condition was great location can be beat. We walked all over. Not noisy at all. I went to hotels.com [url]http://www.hotels.com/property.jsp?property=17451&gds=3[/url]
and looked at the rates.
Their web sit is:
[url]www.lemeridien.com[/url]

Hope it helps.

Archived