What do they do with old ships?

kenf333

Sometimes they junk them for usable scraps, sometimes they sink them, sometimes they beach them on a ship graveyard. And sometimes some crappy little cruise line will buy them and refurbish them, depending on the condition.

I was in Freeport a few years ago and there were several old cruise ships there (big red boat) what do they do with these ships?

The big red boat might be an old Premier Cruise Line cruise ship. They used to have a partnership with Disney but when Disney started thier own cruise line, they went bankrupt a couple years later. If I remember correctly, I believe it was a Premier ship that got repo'ed when it pulled into port because they were so far behind in payments. A lot of unhappy cruisers that day that couldn't get on the ship.

I was in Freeport a few years ago and there were several old cruise ships there (big red boat) what do they do with these ships?

If you look at my smugmug link below and click on the Fantasy, you will see the two ships that were more than likely docked while you were in Freeport.

The BBR was towed to Alang India and scrapped. The other ship is the Rotterdam V and has since been towed to Europe where she is undergoing a full restoration back to her original colors.

Not quite right. Royal Princess is now Artemis for P&O (UK). Sky Princess is now Pacific Sky for P&O (Aus), and will soon be Sky Wonder for Pullmantour of Spain.

Often, these changes are a result of an inter-divisional transfer, not outright sale.

There was a really interesting article in Cruise Travel magazine a while ago about the scrapyard in India where old boats go to die...it's so sad that these amazing boats are dismantled piece by piece and sold as scrap....the polar opposite of when they're proudly built and launched. :( . Oh well I guess all good things must come to an end!! They also featured the Big Red Boat and showed her sitting on the beach being taken apart.

Laura

Archived