Legend 11/2006 Crossing Travelogue

PeaSea8ch

Hi Lola,

Yes, it was a wonderful cruise, and re-entry to the real world has been tough!!! We did make several bookings while onboard (4 to be exact!!!).

I understand you may have a special guest coming to Tucson, schedule permitting. If you have a chance, please email me at:

dg 0406 at comcast dot net

I'm off to Scottsdale tomorrow for a long weekend. It's freezing cold here in the Bay Area!

Denyse

I'm off to Scottsdale tomorrow for a long weekend. It's freezing cold here in the Bay Area!

Denyse

Hi Denyse...

"Freezing cold" you say? I'm in Calgary where it's now 4 degrees Fahrenheit!! (and that's pretty warm for the week!) :)

Just wanted to say "hey". Glad you enjoyed the crossing.

Best to Ken!

Craig, it truly is freezing--in the 20's tonight, although not as cold as in Calgary, for sure. Anyone who is traveling to SF presently needs to bring warm clothes and a winter coat!!! It feels like NY....

Hi to you and Wil as well,

Denyse

Thank you for the wonderful video (photo) presentation Norm! I took me a couple of hours today and yesterday to finally be able to download this particular codec, but now I've got it! This board really "keeps me off the street" as we say here in Holland!

So far I haven't been able to copy the long version, because my computer is very slow at the moment, but I will try that later. I already recognised one of my photo's? I Will send you and some other Seabourn friends an e-mail soon.

Just so there is no confusion. All three are the same - just different versions for different computers. So if you have got the divx version to work, you don't need the really big one.

I'm going to miss your old avatar! :(

At last I have had the chance to read through the wonderful updates you were sending out about our trip and what a great job you did. It was great to spend time with you again. Hi to Sue, CeeJay & Nail it was fun - we got back here and had to take off up to Tampa for the weekend for a huge Thanksgiving party with a crowd of our boating friends who had flown here from Canada. We are now back home in Naples and getting settled. My sister-in-law and husband had the most amazing experience of their life on that crossing and are still talking about the wonder of it and especially the people, both passengers and crew they met. They can certainly see why it means so much to us. This last trip was extremely emotional in so many different ways but really gave me a sense of how much loving and caring their is in us all. Thank you all for that. I know we will meet on the seas again and when that is can never be too soon. Stay in touch;)

I think you're right Brian! I don't have your e-mail address, but I will mail some photo's to T and J. Or if you ask them my e-mail address and mail me, I can respond to you and Kathryn!

Kind regards,

From hole 19!

Thanks Marja, next time we talk to T & J we will get your email address.

Brian

OK Brian! I hope you will have grow some circumstances for the next 8 weeks before you will board the Legend again unfortunately right after we have disembarked. I would have loved to do the 20 days instead of 10!

Give my love to your lovely wife and tell her I appreciated her post regarding the events on our crossing very much!

Yes it's difficult to find a better song. This was done at 24 hours notice before the presentation I gave on the ship and I was then asked if it could be shown at the Captain's Farewell Reception. I think he liked it and, as you know, he likes to bring on a very large number of crew at the reception and they loved it.

I'm not sure I should give away the name of the song I might use if I do this again but I was thinking of You're Beautiful! :)

That is my favorite song Norm! Has been for a while now. Even the Navigators played it for me as a surprise on our Legend crossing! They had been studying it for the whole afternoon. But of course the song is about a woman and it has this F word in it. . . . . At least in the version we have here in my country. I don´t know about the UK.

OK Brian! I hope you will have grow some circumstances for the next 8 weeks before you will board the Legend again unfortunately right after we have disembarked. I would have loved to do the 20 days instead of 10!

Give my love to your lovely wife and tell her I appreciated her post regarding the events on our crossing very much!

Hello Marja! Do not worry about the translation, we know what you mean and yes we are!! We are already ticking the days off!! It is a shame that you are not doing the 20 days but we will see you on the crossing in November. You are right about the song "You're Beautiful" but we have two versions of it here in the UK, one for radio without the F word, unfortunately I used it on a slideshow I did for my Mum and guess which version I put on???? She has forgiven me!

Matt

Yes we did miss the SHOPPING trip to Sawgrass, we had planned to stay one night so Seabourn got away lucky as we caught our own flights! I am still in shock about missing the shopping!!! Especially with $2 to £1:D , but it is just one of those things and Seabourn could not have handled it any better. I will have other opportunities to shop!! Right now it is looking like November '07:eek: .

Kathryn & Brian

You got it right Brian - your little friend in the skirt says Hi

Just hope that you are the only one wearing the skirt at the moment but Hogmanay is on its way so please ask Martin NOT to do his impression of a shuttlecock again:D.Hope that you had an uneventful trip home and will see you next November if not before.

Brian

• 5 weeks later...

This is the first time I have converted a large slideshow into a movie and have it in file formats compatible with both Windows and Mac computers. I had technical issues to work out and, based on my “beta testing,” I am good to go.

The main problem was the file size. The video is 12minutes and 18 seconds long but goes very quickly when you watch it. The “div” and “avi” files are 100 MB each and of acceptable video and color quality. However, for the best quality video, the QuickTime files do the trick. Unfortunately, the full slideshow video in QuickTime is a whopping 754 MB! I split the slideshow into 3 parts and the resulting QuickTime files were 197, 334 and 210 MB for reduced download times.

Although download times vary in accordance with conditions on the internet, when I downloaded the 100 MB div and avi files, each took about 12 minutes on my DSL modem. The QuickTime 754, 197, 334 and 210 MB files took 90, 23, 40 and 25 minutes respectively to download.

Before I go any further, I need to give photo credits to my fellow Legendary crossers whose pictures are included in my slideshow: Norm2002: Partial Geir’s Gang at Malaga sailaway and Seabourn-nail: Partial Geir’s Gang at Tenerife sailaway, the Captain and I at Tenerife sunset, Geir’s Gang Trivia team button and My final lap around Deck 8.

My downloads page has installer files to install DivX on PC and Mac computers and QuickTime on PC computers as well as the div, avi (Note: the avi file is not compatible with Windows Media Player for Macintosh) and QuickTime complete and Parts 1, 2 and 3 slideshow video files. I recommend you download the DivX or QuickTime viewers first (if you don’t have them already installed) then for PC users, right-click the download button and choose “Save Target As” and for Mac users, choose the “Save” option when the download Manager opens. Sometimes there are problems when you download, open the viewer and play the video all in the same operation. Click on the link below to download the files.

Click Here To Download Slideshow And Viewers (if required)

Enjoy the armchair cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

I have received feedback that there is a problem opening the “.avi” movie file of my slideshow. I figured it out (after talking to one of my more computer savvy coworkers) and the solution is quite simple. My bad for not performing more beta testing and catching this.

For the Windows PC users that downloaded the “.avi” file, you also need to download from my download site the DivX for Windows installer. After this file has been downloaded, run the installer to install the DivX application and companion files to your PC. After you do this, the previously downloaded slideshow file when double-clicked will automatically launch Windows Media Player and play the slideshow perfectly! The DivX installer installs a codec in Windows Media Player that allows it to play “.avi” files created in the DivX application. You can also play the “.avi” movie in DivX simply by opening the DivX application and selecting File /Open and browse to the “.avi” movie file. It will play perfectly in DivX as well.

For your convenience, I have included the link to my downloads page:

http://homepage.mac.com/deckwalker/FileSharing1.html

If you are still having problems, please post here or email me at the link below so I can help you!

Click Here To Email Paul

Archived