Legend 11/2006 Crossing Travelogue

PeaSea8ch

Lanzarote is like no other place in the world. Craters and massive lava flows during horrendous volcanic eruptions 250 years ago covered three quarters of the island’s surface. Today was a full day with morning and afternoon tours.

First stop was the Montana de Fuego (mountain of fire) for a 20 minute ride up the slopes of a volcano cone for a nice panoramic view of the surrounding area. The cool breeze wafting over us made our brief stay there so much more enjoyable. I must say that I have never sen somany camels in one place in my life! As one passenger put it “This looks like a used camel lot.” With the Legend, Silver Wind (I think) and two other large ships in port, they were doing a brisk business.

Next was Isolte de Hilario for a demonstration of how volcanic cinders just below the surface are hot enough to burn wood or brush and produce steam. Heat still rises from vents in the earth down to the magma (molten rock) chamber. Just below the earth’s surface the temperature is about 750 degrees Fahrenheit (400 degrees Celsius) and about 15 feet (4.5 meters) below the surface the temperature is about 1470 degrees Fahrenheit (800 degrees Celsius). To demonstrate this, a shovel full of these cinders was scooped up from the surface and we were each given a small handful. Those cinders were hot because it was a bit uncomfortable to hold them tightly in my hand told me they were at least above 120 degrees Fahrenheit (49 degrees Celsius). Next, a small bucket of water was poured into a pipe driven about 15 feet (4.5 meters) below the surface and, about 3 seconds later it was completely vaporized to steam and shot out of the pipe with a loud POP like a geyser.

Next was Janubio where farmers have devised ingenious cultivation methods to grow vegetables and grapes in fields of black lava pellets watered only by sea mists or the ambient humidity in the air. Using rocks to build a rectangular or semi-circular windbreak, the lava “pellets’” are porous and absorb water from the sea mist and any humidity in the air, which subsequently filters down to the roots. The fruits of the farmer’s labor were showcased in a wine tasting. Since I do not imbibe, there were plenty of panoramic vistas to photograph just outside.

In the afternoon was the exclusively Seabourn Lanzarote experience. This was essentially the same as the “A Painter and His Island” tour, which focused on the life and work of Cesar Manrique, I took during my first Seabourn cruise back in 2002. I enjoyed it so much back then that I was glad to do it again (maybe because it was complimentary to all passengers).

First was Los Jameos del Agua, a cave with an underground lagoon, a prime example of Manrique’s vision. Next was Jardin del Cactus an unusual botanical garden that showcases nearly every species of cactus on the planet. The careful display of the cactus plants, in a natural setting, was designed by Manrique himself. Next was a visit to Manrique’s former home but has been converted to a museum, which includes his collection of contemporary art. Next, was another wine tasting, so I just visited and munched on the cheese and crackers. Finally a short visit to the Castle of San Jose, where you walk over a drawbridge to enter and exit, with it’s collection of abstract art before returning to the ship.

Being in Lanzarote, especially the volcano areas, reminded me of the lunar surface. While enjoying the view on top of my intrepid camel, I was reminded of the first words of the second man on the moon, Buzz Aldrin, “Magnificent Desolation” and the fury of Mother Nature that lies beneath the 43 mile (29 kilometer) thick earth’s crust.

After dinner and Mandy Muden’s comedy magic show, it was a long day for me so there would be no carousing with the night-owls in The Club this evening.

On a sad note, about an hour after leaving Lanzarote, the Captain came on the loudspeakers and announced that we had turned around and were returning to Lanzarote due to a “medical situation.” When we arrived at the dock, there was an ambulance waiting. I hope everything is alright.

Today’s Freeze Frames:

c91cffd2.jpg

Camels Everywhere

2141b4a6.jpg

Brave Explorers On Lunar-like Surface

PICT0246.jpg

Legend Stage Manager Tom (L) And the Author ® On Camel

f95bc29c.jpg

Thar She Blows!

PICT0269.jpg

Wine Vineyard

On a Seabourn Yacht, life is good.

Paul

Many, many thanks for your grrreat reviews and your photos!

Seeing the camels brought back such fond and fun memories of our call to Lanzarote (Pride) last April! I soooo enjoyed the camel ride, I am seriously thinking of buying two for the ranch! (welp, there goes the fences...ha ha)

We enjoyed every stop of the Canary Islands......such warm and friendly folks.....and I especially enjoyed the "black lava beaches.

Have a continued marvelous and safe voyage across the ocean!

Thanks again for your many postings & photos!

Martita B.

Thanks for the great pics Paul. My favorite part of Lanzarote was going through the caves and viewing the tiny white crabs that look like diamonds. :)

Also, it was so windy at our "Welcome Home" reception that the staff had to stand on the edge of the carpet to keep it from blowing away! :)

Ok, I know I owe everybody a report for Las Palmas and Tenerife and they will be posted in the next couple of days.

Since everyone was onboard, the Captain decided to leave 15 minutes early. Docked in Tenerife today was the German AIDA blu and the Crystal Serenity. Since the Captain has been buddies with the Crystal Serenity for many years, the Serenity Captain hung the Norwegian flag from the Crystal Serenity’s bridgewing and both our ships engaged in exchanging horn blasts! Then the AIDA blu got into it as well and it was quite a horn-fest in the Tenerife Harbor!

The classical pianist, Rustem Hydroudinoff (from last year’s crossing) could not get to the ship in time due to connection problems in London. So, Mandy Muden will stay on to FLL to entertain us. Mike and Victoria, The Club duo “Viva” are onboard as well as the new bridge lecturers.

So far, smooth sailing with little to no swell.

Today’s Freeze Frames:

e620386a.jpg

Sailaway Sunset #1

99ffd5ca.jpg

Sailaway Sunset #

Shaped by extreme volcanic activity 20 million years ago, the impressive Gran Canaria landscape is dramatically beautiful but totally different than Lanzarote’s. Christopher Columbus moored his fleet at Las Palmas after the Pinta was damaged in a storm. He stopped in the archipelago on each of his three subsequent visits to the Americas.

Having been to Las Palmas before, I decided to take the Europe’s Winter Resort tour to the south of the island.

First stop was the Playa del Ingles named after the English residents who chose these beaches for swimming and sun bathing. Here are sand dunes that resemble the Sahara Desert because the sand is from the Sahara Desert. I never knew this before, but the onshore winds blow the sand from the Sahara into the sky. As these fine particles of sand travel westward, they are carried aloft even higher by the increasing relative humidity as water form the ocean evaporates to eventually form clouds. Because of this increase in altitude into the jet stream, the sand travels many miles to be deposited in the Canary Islands. In fact a lot of my photos the environment appears to be hazy and it is not because of pollution but because of the sand in the air. At ground level at the beach, and, after walking around for a few minutes, I could feel the sand in my eyes, the inside of my mouth felt scratchy, and when I tapped my teeth together, it felt gritty. After taking my photos, I decided it was time to get back to the bus and swig down a lot of water. That alleviated all of my “irritation” symptoms.

Next was the newest resort in Gran Canaria, Puerto Rico. Looking down from our high vantage point over the valley, I was horrified by the concrete jungle below. The developers have blasted away at the walls of the valley and built wall-to-wall hotels that are terraced for the view. There is a lot more construction in the surrounding areas.

The last stop was the smallest and quaintest resort, Mogan. Often called the “Venice of Gran Canaria,” this charming village with companion marina was just crawling with people.

Gran Canaria now boasts of 250,000 beds in the island’s southern resort area. In the peak winter months, gridlock occurs. However, I know it gets cold in Europe and Scandinavia so this is a market-driven phenomenon. My initial reaction was tenement housing for the wealthy. The tour was fine as a sales pitch. However, I would think twice about recommending it to others.

Today’s Freeze Frames:

59135af5.jpg

Playa del Ingles Sand Dunes

59135af5-1.jpg

Progress Intelligently Planned? 1 of 3

59135af5-2.jpg

Progress Intelligently Planned? 2 of 3

c3486791.jpg

Progress Intelligently Planned? 3 of 3

Tropical sun in the winter and cool North Atlantic summer breezes, the climate in the Canary Islands remains fairly constant throughout the year; hence, you can swim year round.

I have been to Tenerife once as a passenger mid-way through a cruise and three times pre-cruise to start getting over the jet lag. Sine it had been so long since I had actually “toured” the island, I decided to take the almost 8 hour Tenerife In Depth tour.

The tour started by driving north of the port and branching off to the forest. Climbing upward, via a very winding road with hair-pin turns we arrived at the gateway to the Canadas National Park at over 7,000 feet elevation. This is a huge area within an enormous volcano crater devoid of life and vegetation. The gargantuan peak El Tiede dominates and reigns over the whole area and reaches an impressive height of 12,270 feet. There is a tram that goes up almost to the summit. Only 150 tickets are sold per day and you have to bee there by 8:30 am to have a chance of purchasing them; hence we did not take the tram ride up the volcano. The volcanic rock found here is a kaleidoscope of color. The colors of the volcanic rocks vary from black lava to red magma to white pumice stone and there are even bright green rocks through where the road is cut. Nearby are some very curious rock formations that I found interesting to photograph.

Descending the mountains, we stopped at a view point of the Orotava Valley for a few minutes to allow the pressure in our heads and ears to stabilize at around 3,000 feet. Then we proceeded to the restaurant, an old monastery, for lunch.

After lunch we then visited the botanical gardens, which includes plants and trees from Asia and North America. The climate in Tenerife has proved ideal for many exotic species. Then back home to the Legend.

I considered this a good tour and the guide and bus driver were excellent. The guide was very knowledgeable and answered any questions. Except for the time we were eating lunch and during our free time, she pretty much talked the whole time giving us a lot of information.

After dinner, Jamilia Ajibade gave her concert of pop to Broadway standards. She has talent and range. Seabourn is lucky to have her in their employ.

Today’s Freeze Frames:

c3486791-1.jpg

Mount Tiede

2da09fcf.jpg

Lava Flows

c13edc82.jpg

Centuries-old Layers

Hi everyone, when Lady Legend is at sea during the crossing, this is Paul’s “fun time” and may not post every day. The sea conditions since leaving Tenerife have been uncharacteristically flat with little or no swell and the lack of wind made the sea like “glass” for hours on end. The last four years the gentle swells hit the ship at a 45-degree angle causing a rocking and rolling motion to the ship which tends to lull me to sleep.

The temperatures have been higher than normal as well. Normally, the temperatures after sailing from Tenerife are in the low to mid 70’s. So far on this crossing, they have been in the mid to upper 70’s with cloudy skies. This afternoon, there was a lovely breeze in the afternoon, which made walking on Deck 8 a real pleasure.

During Sunday’s Trivia session, Geir’s Gang went from first to last and the returning 2005 champion “Misfits” were in first place. After today’s session, Geir’s Gang is in second to last place, the Misfits slipped to second and I am not sure of the team’s name that skyrocketed into first place. I will not post a guess as to the team’s name for fear of starting World War III in the MSL if I incorrectly state the team’s name.

For the crossing Ryder Cup Tournament, the American (North America) and British (European) teams met up and the British team gave the American team a real shellacking by a score of 92 to 58 points. Monday, we putted from the opposite side we normally putt on. Again, the American team lost by a score of 92 to 79 points, a smaller margin of victory for the British. Ironically, the American team played better from their weaker side. I personally scored 2 points yesterday and today 7 points (first shot was a hole-in-one and it was downhill from there. The British team leads 2 games to 0 and in overall points 184 to 137 for the American Team. We just have to “buck up” and chip away at the British lead.

Tonight in the Club was a Seabourn first, the “Mr. & Mrs. Not-So-Newlywed Game” (based on the American TV show “The Newlywed Game.” Four passenger couples participated in the game for prizes. It was great fun and we all had several good laughs. The Club is the perfect venue for this show. All couples received a bottle of Champagne and the winning couple received a pair of Seabourn fluted Champagne glasses.

Today’s Freeze Frame (probably taken before Norm's):

32f8a307.jpg

11/13/06 Sunset

In response to Host Dan, no there have been no shenanigans or kidnappings to date.

Yesterday was warm topping out at 78 degrees F under cloudy skies. Late afternoon it totally clouded over and stated to rain in the early evening and continuing off and on throughout the night. The waiters in the Veranda had to unset all the outside tables as it started to rain and getting them wet.

In Trivia, Geir’s Gang again dropped to last place. :( “Not Wanted on the Voyage” is in first place.

The Ryder Cup Tournament still has the British team ahead 2 to 1. The game started to look like another rout in the making but as the clouds began to shift and the drizzle began to fall, the American team staged a comback tlo bring home a victory 192 to 186. British MVP Bob had an outstanding 26 points (two “straight in” holes-in-one plus one ricochet hole-in-one) and American MVPs Ceejay11’s hubby Wally and the writer both had 22 points (two “straight in” holes-in-one plus a shot remaining on the green). The British team still has the cumulative lead of 370 to 329 points.

Last night I had dinner with the Virtuoso group in the Veranda aka Tastings @ 2. It was a fabulous dinner. The ambiance, companionship, food, pace (food delivery was not too slow or too fast but just right) resulted in a wonderful dining experience. Our waiter’s (I could not read his name tag [too dark in the soft candlelight] explanations of each course and how it was prepared with the passion and inflections in his voice made the experience for us. The seven course meal consisted of 11 items. Our menu was:

Chef’s Cocktail: caviar in the cloud, foggy potatoes

Cowboy Roll – seared flank steak, Portobello, sesame sauce; Barbequed Salmon – Jalapeno, cucumber, melted mozzarella, wasabi mayonnaise; Duck Confit Pop – Roasted pepper relish, creamy chili dip.

Tea Smoked Game Presse, chestnut spatzle; Porcini & chestnut cappuccino, honey spiced squab & fig empanada.

Grilled beef tenderloin, forest mushrooms, truffled emulsion; floating lobster, pesto cream, red pepper fondue, lime froth.

Sweet and sour apple snow, Granny Smith confit.

Beignets with apricot jam, calvados ice cream, bitter sweet chocolate milk.

Night cap: Orange disaronno.

It doesn’t get much better than that! :D

After dinner, Eric performed his retooled one-man Broadway show in he KOL that was very well received. The perfect ending to a wonderful day aboard lady Legend!

PeaSea8ch:

Thanks for the posting of your dinner at 2! Sounds like a wonderful evening, indeed!

Paul (the other one)

who expects less-than-that-accurate reporting on his 12/2 Pride sailing, due to wines appropriately served and consumed! :D Note to self: take along a pencil & pad to dinners...:eek: :)

Paul (the other one)

who expects less-than-that-accurate reporting on his 12/2 Pride sailing, due to wines appropriately served and consumed! :D Note to self: take along a pencil & pad to dinners...:eek: :)

All the menus are delivered to the suites, so if you forget due to wine-enduced fog, you can just reference those. :)

PeaSea8ch:

Paul (the other one)

Paul

May I suggest a digital voice recorder, you may not be able to read what you wrote after a couple bottles of vino...smiley_evilGrin.gif

All the menus are delivered to the suites, so if you forget due to wine-enduced fog, you can just reference those. :)

Ahhh...but of course! Kimba forget!

:D

Paul

whose memory isn't all that it used to be...or much else, for that matter! :eek:

Well, things couldn't be much better on the Legend! The weather is HOT and sunny even though there have been storms all around us. Hot sun and flat water - thanks to our Captain who weaves his way through trouble! The picture contest yesterday was so tough and we missed the second picture - which it turns out was part of a cat up at the bridge - ugghhh. But most importantly trivia is improving for the Captain's team - Geir's Gang - and we are now in 3rd place only a few points out of first (less than one question) - so all is well with the world :)

The crew always seem to surpass themselves in excellence with each cruise we take. Its hard to single out any one person because they are all so good - but Anthony, Magic, Daniel, Darek, Sasha, Kevin (they are so wonderful) - what more can I say!

I would post more but I'm just too relaxed to stagger down to the computer room.

Hi to our missing friends - Dan, Phil, Kit (where are you ?? we do miss you)

Off for more fun.

CeeJay

Archived