Legend 11/2006 Crossing Travelogue

PeaSea8ch

I hope someone fills us in on how the cruise delay was finally resolved.. Thanks!

Host Dan

Seabourn handled all the flight changes for anyone who wished them to do so. Some passengers elected to make the flight changes themselves. Seabourn offered free satellite telephone calls home or to airlines to notify them of the delay. We are now alongside the Fort Lauderdale pier.

For passengers on the following Panama Canal cruise, we were told that they would get a credit for the missed day and this lost day for them will have NO effect on their itinerary and port calls. There are 3 passwengers continuing on for the PC cruise just like 2004 when I did this B2B conmbination.

My remaining internet connect time is rapidly aproaching zero so, this will be my final post from onboard! I will post once I get home the final results of the trivia and Ryder Cup putting tournaments. Oh no! A dialog box says I have less than a minute to go! Until then ...

Peachy,

Many, many thanks for ALL your postings while Crossing on the Legend! We appreciate your taking your valued time to "keep us in the loop!" I give you a BIG A+!!

Have a safe flight home and a joyous Thanksgiving!

Again, "Mucho Gracias, Peachy!

Hugggzzz's sent,

Pinkie

We are now home without any problems even though we traveled the day before American Thanksgiving. Flying to Canada was not a problem since it is not Thanksgiving here (ours was in October). Seabourn handled all the rearrangements so smoothly and professionally - we simply gave them copies of our flight information and our flight was changed to the same flight on the next day. I didn't hear anyone complaining about having to rearrange their plans although a lot of people were worried about not making it home for Thanksgiving. Once again, and at the risk of repeating myself, I have to say that the Captain and crew handled everything to do with the missing crew member in the best way they possibly could and the search was only given up when it became apparent that we had to leave and that there was no hope.

We love the Legend and the November crossing and we are booked for next year - starting in Rome right through to Ft. Lauderdale - and I know it will be wonderful. This ship has the most amazing crew anywhere. They really are just like family. Thank you all - if I start listing all the names I will miss someone and I don't want to do that - so thanks again for an amazing cruise.

And thanks to the Captain Geir-Arne Thue-Nilsen who it has been such a pleasure to sail with on 7 crossings - we will miss him so much on the Legend.

Carol & Wally

Sophie, Jeff and I are also safely home - not too difficult with just the drive across the State. I just want to concur with what Carol has said above. I think it was a very sad experience for all of us, even though none of we guests knew the crew member involved. But the crew, whilst acting impeccably, were obviously shocked at the loss on one of their members. Whilst continuing to give us full service, we could see them anxiously scanning the waves on any breaks that they had. And not forgetting the guests, many of whom spent many hours keeping watch on the waves, some with binoculars for hours. Eric deGray handled everything with great respect, and a very moving memorial service was arranged. And Captain GA Thue-Nilsen had the admiration of all with his tireless search for his lost man, and his obvious grief at the tragedy. He is really the epitome of a true Master. Whilst we hope that nothing like this will ever happen again, it truly brought home to us how much Seabourn is Family. We send our very best wishes, and admiration, to all. Sue, Jeff and Sophie.

You couldn't´t have said it better Sue! It was the Captains worst nightmare. I felt so sorry for him. And for the crew and the passengers for that matter. But i´m also grateful that in the end we all had some fun after all. I doubt if we all ever will forget this unusual cruise. Sad and happy things seemed to go hand in hand. And so did we. I would like to thank you and a few other wonderful passengers - not in the last place your lovely daughter Sophie - for your friendship and company. Now that i´ve met quite a few of you CC´ers, this web site is even more special to me!

After a delay of more than six hours, 2.35 am the 23rd instead of 20.40 pm the 22nd of November, and a very long flight we arrived in Amsterdam. Then drove home in a traffic jam just to arrive in time to baby sit our lovely grandchildren! They are good, but now I´m getting tired and have to get some sleep before they wake me up at 7.00 tomorrow, no this morning! All the best to all my Seabourn friends.

You couldn't´t have said it better Sue! It was the Captains worst nightmare. I felt so sorry for him. And for the crew and the passengers for that matter. But i´m also grateful that in the end we all had some fun after all. I doubt if we all ever will forget this unusual cruise. Sad and happy things seemed to go hand in hand. And so did we. I would like to thank you and a few other wonderful passengers - not in the last place your lovely daughter Sophie - for your friendship and company. Now that i´ve met quite a few of you CC´ers, this web site is even more special to me!

After a delay of more than six hours, 2.35 am the 23rd instead of 20.40 pm the 22nd of November, and a very long flight we arrived in Amsterdam. Then drove home in a traffic jam just to arrive in time to baby sit our lovely grandchildren! They are good, but now I´m getting tired and have to get some sleep before they wake me up at 7.00 tomorrow, no this morning! All the best to all my Seabourn friends.

My, you must be saints...babysitting immediately upon your return. It takes me at least three days to get back to reality. Glad that you had enjoyment, even though there was sadness. I have experienced death overboard at sea as well, and we also had to spend a few hours at sea tending to a vessel with 2 people aboard a ship on fire..till the coast guard arrived. It isn't easy, but , that is the way you would want to be treated in the same situation. If my memory serves me, you will be on our trip in January. We leave Caldera on the 16th ..and depart in LA. If I remember correctly, you will be aboard when we arrive. Look forward to meeting you....Lola

Marja - glad to hear that you and Rene are safely home, but as Lola above said, you must be saints to babysit immediately. I am still groaning as I unpack all the horrible cases, and the laundry pile gets higher and higher and it's certainly not like Seabourn here as I tell Jeff every time he hopefully asks for coffee. "Double espresso with a little hot milk on the side". "Certainly Sir". I think not! Sophie was back at work straight away on Thanksgiving Day, and, since they seem to have carelessly lost several of their staff while she was away, she seems to be working twelve hour shifts, so she definitely has Seabourn withdrawal. And is it really only a couple of days since we were all on board - it feels like a lifetime ago already :( :( . We really enjoyed your company and let's hope that it is not too long till we all set sail together again. And that goes for all you other CCers who were onboard the Transatlantic crossing. Sue.

Sue and Lola, it isn't all that bad that baby sitting! It is like being thrown into the deep as we say here in Holland. My jet lag, that I suffer normally for two weeks, doesn't seem as bad as normally. You just have to get out of bed, when the kids call me or cry me!

Sue, we will be sailing with you on the Th of January and we have cancelled the return from LA on the 26. My husband doesn't think he will be able to do the 20 days. So we will see you then. What is it, in 7 weeks time? Not too bad. If all goes well of course. We had to cancel quite a few cruises in the past, so I am always grateful when the time has come and we can actually go. At the moment my one year old grandson is sleeping and René took our nearly 3 year old granddaughter with him and won't be back for a couple of hours. So that is good. Maybe two hours for myself.

Have a nice weekend!

I too arrived home safely from my nonstop flight from Miami. I used to think that the effects of the first jolt back to reality and SSS (Seabourn Separation Syndrome) are minimized by having, at least, one future Seabourn cruise booked when you finally disembark your Seabourn Yacht. I have three future voyages booked and deposited and that hasn’t helped me one bit. In addition to unpacking and doing laundry and getting the dry cleaning off, there is just so much stuff to “fix!” Plus no one follows you home to tidy up after you. Ok, back OT.

Getting back into “the swing of things” was hard on all of us, including the crew, entertainment department and the officers. Although we laughed, joked and teased each other during Trivia, the golf putting and conversation that I was privy to at the Sky Bar and The Club was generally upbeat, there was a somber undertow to everyone’s mood. As Sue marco previously posted, things were not business as usual those final days onboard.

On Sunday November 19, the normal crossing morning and afternoon daily activities of puzzles, fitness classes, complimentary massage moments, bridge lessons and bridge games, enrichment lectures, Trivia and the Ryders Cup Golf Putting were in full operation. The evening’s entertainment consisted of Flambe Under The Stars after diner in the Restaurant followed by the “Rock The Boat” show. There was no deck BBQ this time. Eric, Jamilia, Preston, Vickie and Mike of “Viva” and “The Navigators” band gave us a superlative show of dance music form the 50’s through 80’s and beyond!

Monday November 20 was the fourth formal night of the cruise and the Captain’s farewell reception followed by the Broadway In Concert show starring Eric, Jamilia, Preston and the Seabourn Legend “Symphony Orchestra” (aka The Navigators). This show was the best IMHO of the entire cruise; Rock The Boat came in second. Everything from the singers performances, the band, the lighting and sound and even the costumes made this and over-the-top experience. This was the final show from the King Olav Lounge of the cruise.

The sea-saw of the standings after each Trivia session is always volatile and unpredictable while this crossing was certainly no exception. I gave the Captain daily updates as to “Geir’s Gang’s” progress. I told him we would surpass our abilities to win this one “For the Gipper.” Our final round was not that great; although we bet all but 100 points for the final bonus question and got it right, we were too far behind in points to pull it off. We ended up in fourth place and a new team “The Flames” won the tournament. This year the prize was a single crystal fluted champagne glass that was originally designed for the Midnight Sun Lounge. Very elegant! The also-rans (everybody else) received a black leather Seabourn bookmark – very nice.

The Ryder Cup Putting tournament was a complete rout of the American team with 6 wins to 1 and over 100 points difference in cumulative score. For the final match, both team captains approached Ryder Cup Putting Tournament Commissioner, Preston with a proposal. The proposal was to match up the best male and female putters on down from each team and spot the British team with 2 points at each pairing and play the round to determine the champions. Preston agreed and this is how the final outcome would be determined. This would not be easy for the American team but as luck would have it, the American team won! Everyone on both teams had a great time! Every participant received a Seabourn pen and the MVPs from each team received a most coveted Seabourn mahogany box.

Our final day at sea was cold, overcast, occasional rain, and the winds were blustery at the least. It was downright depressing but good to get the packing done early and enjoy the final hours onboard. I felt like a caged tiger pacing underneath the Sky Bar awning because I could not go outside and do my deck walking and enjoy the sea air and views.

For the final night onboard, the evening’s entertainment consisted of a Movie Under The Stars or the Navigators performing jazz in the “room with a view” in the midnight Sun Lounge or “Viva” performing in The Club. I went to The Club to enjoy “Viva” one last time. The Captain advised us that after midnight the currents between Bermuda and the mainland would produce 9 to 12 foot swells that would rock us from side to side. Which it did from about 3:30 to 5:30 am but not a rough or violent motion although it did wake me up and King Neptune reminded me that I was still on the Atlantic Ocean.

Disembarkation always goes quickly and smoothly on Seabourn. I disembarked about 8:45 am for the tortuous journey from gangway to jetway and my flight home and back to reality. I was expecting, from posts that I have read, it would take DHL 5 days to get my luggage to my home. When I checked the status of my shipment, I was pleasantly surprised to see my luggage was being sent next business day delivery. So at 10:00 am Friday morning (Thursday was the Thanksgiving holiday) my doorbell rang and my luggage was delivered.

For me, this cruise will be fondly remembered for many reasons, both happy and sad.

I will post an end-of-cruise summary in the next couple of days.

Someone broke his neck and we get a ...:D....sorry....but HE IS OK.........maybe I am just getting old but I am not understanding this post very well!!

Sorry GL the smilie was for the Cruise By Post. I did not expect to read this thread while on my cruise. In the end I used 3 1/2 hours just doing the main thread I was posting on.

This fifth year-in-a-row Legend westbound Trans-Atlantic crossing was greeted by the author and my fellow legendary crossing repeaters with much anticipation. Both for the “Seabourn Family Reunion,” itinerary and the fact that it would be the last Legend cruise with Captain Geir-Arne Thue-Nilsen at the helm.

The signature Seabourn pampering service began the minute I disembarked my transportation to the ship and ended when I was safely delivered to my airline terminal. The crossing repeaters were in the ship’s groove right from embarkation and the new crossers caught up with us after a few days. As I have posted many times on this forum, the camaraderie between the passengers, the passengers bonding with the crew and becoming friends with the officers unquestionably makes us an extended family. The staff onboard treated me like royalty – no wonder I am currently suffering from Seabourn Separation Syndrome!

This crossing was different in that we had some great port calls before the nine-day party began crossing the Atlantic. And what a party it was! Then, unexpectedly, that terrible morning when the Captain announced a crewmember was missing and we had to take up the search. They say that nothing binds a family together better than tragedy and our Seabourn family was no exception as it affected everyone onboard. I was so proud that so many passengers lined the decks, many with binoculars, for hours on end to assist in the search for our lost crewmember. And the staff, while obviously anxious and concerned, took excellent care of us. I will never forget the Sky Bar wait staff coming around with water, fruit drinks to keep us hydrated and also reminding me to reapply my sunscreen (twice I had forgotten). I was proud to have been onboard with such an esteemed group of seafarers.

As human tragedies seem to persist, we were unable to find our lost crewmember and the international authorities officially terminated the search. Both passengers and crew handled the event with great respect and dignity with a very moving memorial service where the Captain presided. Nelson, wherever you are, I wish you everlasting peace and salvation on your onward journey without us.

Getting back to “normalcy” was tough for all of us but we managed, even though there was a somber undercurrent. Seabourn employs the finest cadre of world-class young people to work on their ships, bar none. I also find that Seabourn passengers make the most wonderful shipmates as well.

I will forever carry cherished memories of this crossing. I never once had to remind myself what my signature byline says below for attitude adjustment.

Disembarking the Legend for home was especially bittersweet for me. Not so much because it was the end of the cruise but because of the added sense of family that resulted from the tragedy and the fact I was sad that my favorite Captain was leaving my Seabourn Legend for the Pride. He is the epitome of a ship’s commander and a real gentleman. He truly cares deeply about his crew and passengers. I became a fan after my first Legend cruise in 2002 and two cruises on Vistafjord and Royal Viking Sun over at Cunard Line when he was Staff Captain. We will sail again together on whatever ship he commands but will miss him dearly on the Legend November crossing “Seabourn family reunion.”

I would like to thank everyone who read my travelogue and especially those who posted kind words of encouragement or requested shipboard information or well wishes to be passed on to crewmembers. It has been a privilege and a pleasure to be your onboard reporter for this crossing! For November 2007, Host Dan, our onboard reporter extraordinaire, will also be onboard the Legend Trans-Atlantic.

The most poignant thing I bring home, especially from a Seabourn cruise, is best described by noted maritime historian, John Maxtone-Graham in his book “Liners to the Sun” published in 2000 by Sheridan House, Inc., on page 11, second paragraph:

“… I can guarantee them one imperishable memento, hinted at by a symbolic and appropriate coincidence: in radio traffic between home office and ship, the cable-ese abbreviation for passenger is ‘pax,’ also the Latin word for peace. More than any other shipboard dividend, more than tans, ports, adventures, souvenirs, friends or gluttony, I think they will discover a soothing, shipboard peace, and unlimited duty-free passenger allowance that can be brought ashore at cruise’s end regardless of the Customs inspector’s vigilance.”

That said, I wish everyone peace and happy sailings.

Thank you Paul for your great reports. I enjoyed reading them all and like everyone else in CC was very sad to hear the tragic news about Nelson. It was wonderful though to hear how many passengers helped with the search.

I also love to "hear" reports on crew members that we have met, and it was great to hear "Prestons" name mentioned a few times...we really enjoyed his performances and became good friends, why we even offered to become his, Trevors and Matthews, Managers! We were going to rename the trio "Il Deviates"...for some reason they didnt accept our offer! Thanks again, looking forward to your next cruise!

I would like to share this photo with all of you who have heard about the tragic loss of crew member Nelson. I took it when our captain and Nelson's cousin threw the flowers in the sea and after we had stopped the search. The ship you see where the sun sets helped in the search during the day.

1415306572_GoodbyeNelson!.jpg.a64c7482a238a1be2226c06e7ccf0ea1.jpg

Thanks for posting this wonderful picture Marja! Please include it with the other picture you will be emailing to me after you have completed your babysitting duties. ;) I would like to add these photos to my crossing slideshow for public viewing, but only with your permission. :)

I am back to working 10 hours a day so I may not have my slideshow ready for public viewing until after the first of the year! I will post a link here when it is done. The overtime may affect the response time of my personal correspondence but guarantees business class airfare and Seabourn Valet Luggage Service to / from my Seabourn Yacht! :)

As requested, I have now put up three versions of the short tribute I gave to Captain G-A T-N at http://www.myphotopages.net/gatn/index.html

The GATN.mov file ought to work on Macs and also PCs with QuickTime. The GATNdivx.avi file will need a DiVX codec which should be on new computers.

Sorry for the delay but some of you will understand that I was rather tied up at the weekend, being my first one back home ;).

Hope you enjoy it.

EDIT: Sorry, there is a problem with the links and my ftp software has just stopped working. I will try to correct it as soon as possible.

In the meantime, right click on one of these links and choose Save As .. Not sure what you do with Macs.

gatnmov.mov

gatndivx.avi

gatndivx.avi

Norm:

On my Mac I control-clicked the .mov file and chose "download linked file"; it's downloading to my desktop now. I'll let you know if it plays okay once it's finished. Should be okay (QT Pro here).

Thanks, in advance, for your efforts, as usual....

Paul

P.S. Edit: It worked fine, Norm! Wonderful tribute for the Cap'n!! No doubt, he'll love it....

Nice work, Sir!

Thanks, Paul.

The links should now be working OK from http://www.myphotopages.net/gatn/index.html

Great as always Norm. clapping.gif

FYI Mac users, I could not play without pauses, the QT version on my Powerbook because of the file size, but the AVI played great with MPlayer.

Photog Blackbird is bummed out, he was on the Pride before Captain G-A and will be on the Legend after he has left. mecry.gif

FYI Mac users, I could not play without pauses, the QT version on my Powerbook because of the file size, but the AVI played great with MPlayer.

Blackbird, I downloaded the QT verson of the file to my hard disk first and had no problems with subsequent QT playback on both my Mac PowerBook and G5 desktop.

Hello all,

I've been reading and enjoying the posts of my compatriots (Paul, thanks for the travelogue), and finally have a moment to write.

As others have already posted, this was an amazing cruise. Our Captain was extraordinary in his handling of the missing crew member (I cannot believe that there is actually someone who posted a complaint on this board, but fortunately, it also appears we will not have to sail with him again). It was also great to see so many old friends, and to have several ports of call at the beginning of the crossing.

I eagerly look forward to next year's crossing, and to our sailings on the Pride with our favorite Captain!

Hugs and holiday wishes to the Seabourn family,

Denyse and Ken

Archived