Snorkeling on HMC?

divinggirl

Anyone who has either gone diving or snorkeling on HMC, this question is for you...The snorkel and dive are both 12-16 feet, 1.5 hrs and there are 3 departures for each, so...

1. DO the divers and snorkelers go in the same boat(s) to the same location?

2. A one tank dive is $69, while a snorkel is $49. That's not a great price for a one tank dive and considering it's so shallow, can you see just as much snorkeling?

I'd love to do the dive but if all you snorkelers out there were swimming right along with the divers, it seems at that shallow a depth it wouldn't be worth it.

Thanks!

The dive and snorkel boats are separate. The snorkel boat goes to a location only a few hundred yards off shore, easily visible from the ship. I presume the dive boat goes out farther and to a deeper spot.

Considering that the beach snorkeling is nil to poor, I was surprised that the boat snorkel was so much better. The depth is, I'm guessing here, @ 15 -20 ft. There's a coral garden and a variety of small fish. It's not Nassau or Georgetown, but it isn't too bad. Beats sitting on the beach. It's listed as being for experienced snorkelers because there isn't a dive guide. None of the boat crew enters the water. However, it's so easy a novice who can swim wouldn't have any problem.

I've not seen any feedback on the diving. Maybe your post will pull someone in.

i have to disagree when the above poster says the snorkling at HMC is poor to nil. it is not the greatest i have experienced but it is still enjoyable. it is shallow except when you get to the other side. there it is deep and i have seen many pretty fish. go and enjoy

When we booked this excursion the dive and snorkel went on the same boat. The divers said it was not worth diving as it was so shallow.:rolleyes:

Ah ha! So it's not the same experience every time. Apparently if there aren't enough diver signups to justify a separate boat they double up. A big mistake because the snorkel location is not suitable for diving.

Thanks so much everyone...I think I'll book the snorkel to go ahead and reserve at least a spot, and if they need more divers to go separately maybe I'll "upgrade" to the dive. Stevesan, you seem to come through for me all over these boards :) Thanks!!

divinggirl,

I also thought $69 was a bit steep for a one tank dive. So I plan on making HMC my relax and chill out beach day and diving on two other islands, probably through private excursions.

Marc

Orcrone,

That's exactly my plan...I'm doing two independent dive excursions in both Coz and GC, so I don't feel like I'll be missing out if I don't get a dive in at HMC. It's always nice to be able to add another page in the log book, though :-) But $70 to dive 15', and they'll probably pull me out of the water with half a tank left after 45 min! After diving in NZ this winter (tank gone in 15 min!), that warm Carrib water is very conducive to slow breathing!

Am definitely snorkeling, though. It's physically impossible for me to see all that blue water and not go under it!

Archived