Making sure you have a taxi back to boat?

LeslieSJ

If we take a taxi from the Dutch side over to Orient beach and get dropped off for the day, should we make arrangements with that driver to come back for us at a certain time or are there plenty of taxis that hang at Orient? I would assume that would be the case since it's such a major tourist spot but just wanted to confirm.

I read something on Fodor's boards about people getting ripped off after being dropped at a beach. Something about the drivers knowing what time the cruise ship was leaving so they raised their prices drastically since the people would have no choice if they didn't want to be stranded. I've never read anything like that on these boards tho' so maybe that was untrue or just a one-time bad experience and not something that goes on routinely.

Taxi drivers always congregate at Club Orient, behind Pedros. Never a problem getting a cab back to the ship.

This is all true. However, we ran into a problem that we never had before a couple weeks ago where all the taxis were vans and they didn't want to leave until their van was full. UNLESS, you pay a few extra bucks. Now I understand their reasons and this experience hasn't always been the case for us in the past. I'm sure it isn't the norm. But it did happen to us two weeks ago and it was a little frustrating. I am confident that they will get you back before the ship leaves.

I admit that sometimes we get too caught up in saving a couple bucks when it really is a small price to pay for the extra convenience that will make our experience all the better.

The Grouper at Pedros was excellent, by the way.

Kevin

Here we go again?

Actually I have been taking notes on all the food places talked about here and if I can talk SWMBO into spending a week on the island again (she prefers ships) we will be doing an exhaustive taste test of the island's best :D Tough job but somebody has to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Does "here we go again?" refer to the fact that I posted the same question twice?

I do feel like an idiot -- I searched for the thread a week later and couldn't find it -- didn't realize I was searching in the wrong topic. So I assumed I had not submitted it correctly. I apologize for the double question.

Thanks for the taxi advice - one less thing to worry about...

If we take a taxi from the Dutch side over to Orient beach and get dropped off for the day, should we make arrangements with that driver to come back for us at a certain time or are there plenty of taxis that hang at Orient? I would assume that would be the case since it's such a major tourist spot but just wanted to confirm.

I read something on Fodor's boards about people getting ripped off after being dropped at a beach. Something about the drivers knowing what time the cruise ship was leaving so they raised their prices drastically since the people would have no choice if they didn't want to be stranded. I've never read anything like that on these boards tho' so maybe that was untrue or just a one-time bad experience and not something that goes on routinely.

No problem getting a taxi back - LOTS of drivers hang out in the parking lots.

Taxi rates are fixed (depending on the number of passengers in the vehicle) - so if you think someone is trying to rip you off - just ask to see their rate card and openly take down their number. BTW - if there are just TWO or THREE of you in a van and you don't want the driver to wait to fill up OF COURSE you will pay more than if the van is full. Per person prices are based on how many people are in the vehicle. In my experience, the longest we had to wait for a vehicle full enough to leave was about 10 minutes.

TWO people alone in a vehicle should expect to pay about $10-$11 per person.

People in a FULL VAN will pay about $5-$6 person.

We have been to SXM a couple of times and never been ripped off by a taxi driver.

Also DO NOT WAIT until the last minute to return to the ship that way you won't care if the driver wants to fill up. We always try to be back at the ship at least ONE full hour before departure.

Have a nice trip.

Does "here we go again?" refer to the fact that I posted the same question twice?

ut...

Leslie, no, not at all.

It was my problem, trying to make a little joke about the whole "who makes the best ribs on the island" discussion.

My comment was intended for the BigBooper, who did pick up on it, but I wasn't clear, and people that don't hang out her all that often were probably confused.

I apologize. I should have been more clear.

gary

p.s. Lido's has the best ribs! :)

p.p.s. Zeno's correct, LOTS of taxis available for the trip back from Orient.

• 2 weeks later...

can someone tell me what the normal travel time by taxi is from orient beach back to p-burg? we have a deep sea fishing excursion to do until about 12:45 and i'd like to see orient beach for a few hours...then hit Rima's(I heard it's a must).think I'll have time? Or is there a closer beach that I should try?

Under optimal conditions, 20-25 minutes back to the pier. Then the walk back to the gangway could take 10 minutes.

So, if the gangway is to be pulled at 5:30 PM and the ship salis at 6 PM, be ready to step in the cab at 4:30 PM. If you are late the view of a ship sailing away from SXM is marvelous at dusk as long as it is not YOUR ship:)

If your ship leaves at 6:00 or so, you might be able to fit in a couple of hours at Orient after the fishing, but I have found that everyone that visits Rima's (one of my favorite places, and please say hello to Mr. Rima from 'Sacramento'), spends at least twice as much time as they have alloted.

You might be late to your next destination (port?) unless you make allowances.

Maybe visit Rima's on the way to Orient?

gary

Okay, probably a stupid question but. . . The rates listed for pp--do they charge the same amount for kids? I looked around the taxi website, but couldn't find anything one way or the other. Also, does anyone know if car seats are required? I found out we couldn't use taxis in Bermuda unless we brought car seats for our kids. I posted this question in the family section as well but so far, no answers. TIA

Archived