Stupid ?? from the 1st timers---How "formal" should we go ???

Ok, I know that this is probably a question that's been asked a THOUSAND times over, but as Cruise-newbies, I have NO idea what we should plan. Granted, we HAVE plenty of time (our cruise is not until April 06')......

For a seven night cruise, we have TWO formal nights, ONE Smart Casual, and 4 casual......now, the Casual nights, we have no problem with (just dress like we did for dinner in Maui last year), but the Smart Casual and the Formal has got me bugged.......Does DH need a SUIT and TUX, and will I want two different formal dresses for the formal nights?

Do any of you have any pics (or better yet, is there a thread) where we can get some ideas of what is appropriate to wear???

From the dress categories you're sailing on a different line than I use (HAL) but here goes. For casual I wear very nice capri outfits or cute skirts or a simple dress ( sundress if I could!). DH wears khakis, polo shirt or tropical print shirt. For informal I wear dressy dinner or cocktail type dress, not too fancy. DH wears nice slacks, silk shirt and blazer or sportcoat- no tie. For formal I wear long gown ( I leave the beaded styles at home and go for something more packable-so I can carry two) and DH wears tux. Many men wear dark suit instead. Hope this helps. Have fun planning AND cruising!

RCL passengers tend to be a little more casual in all categories than HAL.

I agree with your choice for casual night, and I don't really distinguish much between casual and smart casual: I wear nice-to-dressy pants outfits to both of them. I'll wear a tropical outfit to Caribbean night.

Since I'm a little "fluffy", I tend to wear pants more than skirts.

Formal runs all the way from floor length formals to sparkly knits with slacks. I have 5 outfits I alternate with:

beaded knee-length navy dress

black knit velvet jacket with sparkly gold accents and matching knit short dress

champagne crepe pantsuit, with long, sheer chiffon "burnout" over jacket

silver satin pantsuit with sparkly knit jacket

deep purple velvet jacket with brocade pants

If you do a search on the fashion board or RCL's board for "formal night", you'll find lots of info and pics.

Oh, be sure to read the ones about bargain hunting....there are lots of places to get good formal and dressy wear without spending a lot of money.

Hope this helps!

If you are willing to pack it all, formal means formal: tux & floor length gown. You'll feel like Cinderella or at least like you are in a James Bond movie (w/o the explosions & car chases :) ).

Dark suit & dressy cocktail dress are OK.

Smart casual is a made up catagory. Think business casual with a tropical flare.

For women, I have seen anything from professional to evening gowns on formal nights. Some people wear church type dresses, dressy pant suits, all length formals. On our last cruise, on formal night we saw people in shorts/gold shirts. Like someone mentioned earlier, anything goes. However, most women do wear formal gowns long or short length. Most men wear tuxes or suits w/tie.

There are no stupid questions and it's never too early to pack! I love packing, sick, I know.

Anyway, for casual I usually wear a sundress or capri outfit and sandals. DH will wear Dockers and a golf-type shirt.

Smart Casual I usual wear an actual dress (as opposed to a sundress) with actual shoes (as opposed to sandals). DH will wear Dockers and a button-up shirt. You'll see other couples like this to wedding-wear.

Formal - I've got a couple of ankle-length and a couple of cocktail-length dresses and try to wear one of each for a little variety. My upcoming cruise has three formal nights - I'll probably bring two cocktail dresses and one long. DH will go with dark suit (haven't been able to get him in a tux since our wedding, but he likes doing the suit thing once a year).

Hope this helps. We'll give you TONS of advice between now and 2006!

Archived