Amtrak

Website shows service of a bus or a train from Vancouver to Seattle. Bus takes 3.5 hours while the train takes 4 hours. We would be using Amtrak early September and they leave between 5/6pm...should we take the bus or go for the train? will it be light enough to enjoy the scenery from the train? We've always wanted to do it and it seems like the perfect time.

What type of seat should we book - business or first class - is it worth it? What exactly is reserved/unreserved??

Anyone take either of these and have some feedback to share?

Just my opinion but the train is way to much hassle for me unless I'm spending a few extra days in either Seattle or Vancouver.. The shuttle leaves from Sea-Tac, stops at a few hotels in Vancouver and deposits you right at the ship. Same with return to Sea-Tac airport. No cabs to the station, then train, then cab back to airport etc. Yes scenery is lovely but if it's just "transportation" in a hurry, bus is easier.. comfortable seats, nice scenery, thru border crossing fairly easily.

If you are going to do Amtrak to Seattle the train is so much more pleasant than the bus - the bus basically takes the I - 5 freeway while the train hugs the coast for much of the trip.

As for light - you won't be able to see all the way but should be able to get to around Bellingham before the darkness starts to occur - this part is quite scenic as it hugs the coastline - also the view of the lights coming into Seattle should be impressive.

Not sure of how the seats work on this train but one of the classes will probably include a meal and more private surrounding while the other will be coach and having to pay for a meal - it should explain the difference on the Amtrak website.

Hope this helps and that you enjoy your cruise and Vancouver.

Dennis

We're leaving ( AMTRAK) on a Sat AM & for a 7:45 AM. We up-graded to business class (from $27 ? to 39? one way). Seats are bigger & cushier than coach . A food voucher for $3. is included & a movie is available, bring your own headphones or you can purchase a set. I understand the coffee is very good, but I don't know if it's complimentary or not. Definately sit on the left side for a view. Also, early seating for business class. (A friend of mine did this about a month ago... she thought it was the only way to go from Seattle to Van.).

We are going up a day early.... so train to port is not an issue for us.

I'm pretty sure we want to leave the day we come in from the cruise so we can spend two full days in Seattle...but are these tickets that sell out or should I book it now and lock ourselves into that itinerary?

• 5 months later...

I did Alaska some years ago I think it was in 2000 and are now doing with again on the Serenade. I did the bus from Sea-Tack to the Pier. The bus did not leave until around 1030am or so and got us there around 2pm where we had to stand in lines for 90 minutes. I am now a diamond member so I would get preferred boarding and hopefully get on sooner. My question is how far from the Amtrack station is the peir? If you had a choice to go day before or day of which would you do. I think we may do the cruise lines transport on the way back to Seattle. What time do they board in Vancouver?

Lexi

Lexi - I believe you are asking how far is it from the Vancouver Amtrak station to the Pier - if you a sailing RCL you will be most likely be going out of Ballantyne Pier and not Canada Place - the distance is short - about two miles but to get to it you must go through the most run down area of Vancouver - so grab a taxi at the station and make sure you tell the driver Ballantyne Pier - obviously I think you should come in a day early and enjoy our fine city but provided there are no significant delays at the border you should arrive in plenty of time to board the ship - it won't be leaving before 5PM - so you should have lot's of time to embark especially if you get priority boarding

Hope this helps

Cheers from Vancouver

Dennis

Dennis,

Booked Amtrack for the day beofre our cruise. How does the Best Western downtown look? Thet are offering free transport to downtown and free peir transport. How the Acquarium? Where are some Pubs that are good?

I am an Olympic coolector of sorts does Vancouver have any thing like pins or shirts out for the Olympics? When I lived in Atlanta everything was out way early?

Lexi

Archived