Queen Victoria Tour

jgsmuzzy

Hi all, I apologise if this has already been discussed, but I have a little question.

We have booked on the QM2 for Jan 2008 when the three Queens will be in NYC together. What do you think the chances are of Cunard letting (security screened and card carrying passengers of the other two ships) passengers have a tour around QV? I will probably book on it in the future, but want a look round when I get the chance! :D

What do you think the chances are of Cunard letting (security screened and card carrying passengers of the other two ships) passengers have a tour around QV?:D

That's a great idea, jgsmuzzy, but the chance of it happening is zero. And I'm a card carrying optimist.

Jan 2008 when the three Queens will be in NYC together.

Yes, but where?

1. Manhattan (No QM2) or
  2. Brooklyn (only 1 berth) or
  3. New Jersey

They could be at all 3, depending on other ship sailing schedules. My guess would be QM2 in Brooklyn and QE2/Queen Victoria in Manhattan - unless they get dispensation from the Coast Guard for the QM2 to hang her stern out into the Hudson again.

I sailed on the Caronia when the QM2 was in Southampton before her maiden voyage, and was told no way for us to visit....

Peter

Good point Peter, I hadn't banked on them being os seperate sides of Ellis island! You never know, they may had lengthened the pier by then.

Maybe they didn't let you on QM2 because she was not "operational" by then? They were working on her right up to the day before the first public voyage.

I think the chance is just about nil. I don't think there is any way they are going to allow a couple of thousand people wander around their ships.

At one time this was certainly possible (indeed, standard procedure) but not in these days of high security.

Your only hope is if you are a member of a special group (like a press group) or if you are personally invited by someone of importance at the cruise line or aboard the other ship (like the Captain).

Maybe ...

Certainly they will not allow thousands of people to wander around on their own.

But maybe they will offer an organized tour. In 2004 (thus not so distant past), when the Caronia and the QE2 were in the same port, Caronia passengers were offered the chance to book a guided tour of the QE2. So many people were interested that Cunard cut the tour (e.g. no meal) in order to be able to give the opportunity to more people.

Nevertheless I think the chances are really small, passengers numbers of QE2 and QM2 combined are very high in comparison to the QV and there will be many other people who will have priority on this maiden visit in the states (officials, press, mabye travelagents, special invitees).

there will be many other people who will have priority on this maiden visit in the states (officials, press, mabye travelagents, special invitees).

Yes, this is very important. There are lots of "important" people who they have to get out of the way.

Probably not too many travel agents - only the ones who are very big producers for Cunard.

Certainly there will be plenty of officials in to see the new ship, and of course the press.

I do plan on doing the Tandem Crossing aboard QE2, and hopefully I'll be able to pull strings and visit QV either in Southampton or New York. I wish I could do this for everyone I know but alas I can't :( ...

I have high hopes.

I might point out that on 26th April 2004 my lovely wife and I were (with others) given the opportunity to view Queen Mary 2 as a guided tour from Queen Elizabeth 2.

Whether the offer was extended to those in steerage I cannot say, but it was certainly available to the special people on the Signal Deck...;)

Whether the offer was extended to those in steerage I cannot say, but it was certainly available to the special people on the Signal Deck...;)

Fighting talk, KindlyChap......I expect the people in steerage were too busy rowing...and you needed time off from the rabbit hutches!;)

Peter

Yes, but where?

1. Manhattan (No QM2) or
  2. Brooklyn (only 1 berth) or
  3. New Jersey

They could be at all 3, depending on other ship sailing schedules. My guess would be QM2 in Brooklyn and QE2/Queen Victoria in Manhattan - unless they get dispensation from the Coast Guard for the QM2 to hang her stern out into the Hudson again.

I sailed on the Caronia when the QM2 was in Southampton before her maiden voyage, and was told no way for us to visit....

Peter

Hey Peter

never mind the NY berths.... what are the odds on Her Maj doing the hat trick and christening her third Queen????

PS - I reckon QM2 in Brooklyn and the other two in Manhattan with a firework sailaway off the Statue of Liberty. I'm booking into the Hyatt Regency on the Hudson for a few days before sailing so hope to see an arrival up to Manhattan (and not have to go outside the room!!!)

Hey Peter never mind the NY berths.... what are the odds on Her Maj doing the hat trick and christening her third Queen????

I'd put money on the Duchess of Cornwall........given her great grandmother's cloes ties to Queen Victoria's son......you wonder if the Cunard PR people will do their homework.........Sounds like a good plan in NY.

Peter

I'd put money on the Duchess of Cornwall........given her great grandmother's cloes ties to Queen Victoria's son......you wonder if the Cunard PR people will do their homework.........Sounds like a good plan in NY.

Peter

Hoping your joking here!!! The morganatic wife? Surely not??? Cunard Queens have always been named by Queens - lets hope that particular tradition sticks. I'm sure Her Maj will oblige if there is the least sniff of Mrs PB (did they decide if the marriage was legal??) being in the running. Anyway, I read she doesn't do anything much apart from support Charles (or anything much at all for that!!)

Ken

Cunard Queens have always been named by Queens - lets hope that particular tradition sticks.

I guess it depends on how well Buckingham Palace does its homework.....express transatlantic liners have been named by Queens... just because Cunard wants to call this Vista-sausage a 'Queen' does not necessarily mean that THE Queen will want to name her - otherwise she's setting herself up for a (potentially) long line of Vista-sausages....:eek:

Peter

I guess it depends on how well Buckingham Palace does its homework.....express transatlantic liners have been named by Queens... just because Cunard wants to call this Vista-sausage a 'Queen' does not necessarily mean that THE Queen will want to name her - otherwise she's setting herself up for a (potentially) long line of Vista-sausages....:eek:

Peter

Yeah right - can just hear Prince Philip now ' Lilibet you can't possibly launch Queen Great-great-grandma, she's a bally Vista clone!'

Ken icon12.gif

Lets watch this space shall we.....if Cunard's PR people can pull it off it will be quite a coup.....but I'd put my money on the Princess Royal or that Parker Bowles woman........

... or Princess Beatrice of York????

... or Princess Beatrice of York????

Naughty! Naughty! Changing my comments......how about Victoria Beckham......flashy....a bit vulgar....rather nouveau....pre-packaged...another one off the production line.....and thats just the ship!;)

Peter

Naughty! Naughty! Changing my comments......how about Victoria Beckham......flashy....a bit vulgar....rather nouveau....pre-packaged...another one off the production line.....and thats just that Parker Bowles woman!;)

Peter

Well, same name so they wouldn't have to write it down for her and rumour has it she could be Lady Beckham by then eek.gif ..... what about an outsider on William marrying Kate in the Spring and having Princess Katherine of Wales doing the honours in December???? I think Cunard need their brains looking at if they ever think of asking 'that Parker Bowles woman' as you refer to her icon12.gif

I unreservedly withdraw all the mean, uncharitable comments I have ever made about the QE2 and henceforth will only ever ever ever sail on the QE2. I will book an M7 cabin for me and three friends on deck 5 so I can appreciate the vibration and the occassional sewage smells. I also promise not to venture into Quarter Deck, where my wiser betters comport themselves and will forever remain on Upper Deck in the Golden Lion, when I am not having a burger in the Lido.

See! Two can play at that game!;)

Peter

Nice thread hijack fellas!:D

(Luckilly I come from a forum when you are lucky if a thread is still on topic after the first three posts....:p )

Sorry jgsmuzzy, but I thought it had gone about as far as it was going (you won't get a preview tour unless you know someone important - like Kindlychap eek.gif).... and we were still talking about QV (I think) biggrin.gif

Ken

Yeah .... but WHO would believe it???? icon12.gif

Shall we call a truce??? icon12.gif

They might believe the bit about the burger in the lido.....but the rest was possibly a stretch.....we've probably flogged this one to death.....so suggestions so far, for the naming ceremony of the Queen Victoria, in no particular order:

HM QEII

HRH The Princess Beatrice of York

HRH The Princess Royal

The Duchess of Cornwall (no meddling Ken!)

HRH Princess Katherine (or whoever) of Wales

WAG Victoria Beckam, AS*

Others?

Peter

* AS = Anorexic Slapper

PS - I reckon QM2 in Brooklyn and the other two in Manhattan with a firework sailaway off the Statue of Liberty. I'm booking into the Hyatt Regency on the Hudson for a few days before sailing so hope to see an arrival up to Manhattan (and not have to go outside the room!!!) quote.gif

Think I'll wat and see where they are bearthing them before making a decision on hotels. Hyatt sounds godd though. Hitlon would be better though, we get frequent flyer miles there. :p

Archived