Order Items not On the Menu

asctony

I have dietary restrictions due to serious food allergies. The head waiter always brings me the menu for the next night so that I can make my choices and the kitchen can be prepared. What usually happens is that we make great friends with the head waiter and they start to bring out all sorts of "special" dishes that go far beyond what I require for my allergy accommodations. I think they are committed to making dinner memorable. If they are treated well and with respect, the Head Waiters really work to make things just right. We are never pushy or demanding and we always tip extra at the end of the cruise. We've enjoyed some very memorable meals as a result. We've been appreciative of the extra effort the dining staff has made. We've never demanded special service beyond what is necessary for my food allergies.

I have dietary restrictions due to serious food allergies. The head waiter always brings me the menu for the next night so that I can make my choices and the kitchen can be prepared. What usually happens is that we make great friends with the head waiter and they start to bring out all sorts of "special" dishes that go far beyond what I require for my allergy accommodations. I think they are committed to making dinner memorable. If they are treated well and with respect, the Head Waiters really work to make things just right. We are never pushy or demanding and we always tip extra at the end of the cruise. We've enjoyed some very memorable meals as a result. We've been appreciative of the extra effort the dining staff has made. We've never demanded special service beyond what is necessary for my food allergies.

A couple of cruises ago, I marked my hubby's CP as needing a low cholestral diet (his doctor said he was borderline). Every night the maitre d' brought the next night's menu over to him and asked him to select his choice so it can be specially prepared without the extra fat. Before our last cruise, I asked if he wanted to do it again and he said, "please don't." So he just tried to select low fat items on his own. He did choose some dishes off the "available anytime". Once or twice, he seemed to sense that the waiter wanted him to pick one of the night's entrees instead.

I'm the picky eater but I usually try to find something on the regular menu. I do ask for lemon slices for my salad as I don't use salad dressing. On some cruises, the waiter will automatically bring the lemon for each meal. The ones I don't use on my salad don't go to waste as I and others at my table will put a slice in our water. I did hear that one party requested a whole ton of fruit be delivered to their table, which tied up some of the waitstaff. I do think we should be reasonable with our requests.

A couple of cruises ago, I marked my hubby's CP as needing a low cholestral diet (his doctor said he was borderline). Every night the maitre d' brought the next night's menu over to him and asked him to select his choice so it can be specially prepared without the extra fat. Before our last cruise, I asked if he wanted to do it again and he said, "please don't." So he just tried to select low fat items on his own. He did choose some dishes off the "available anytime". Once or twice, he seemed to sense that the waiter wanted him to pick one of the night's entrees instead.

I'm the picky eater but I usually try to find something on the regular menu. I do ask for lemon slices for my salad as I don't use salad dressing. On some cruises, the waiter will automatically bring the lemon for each meal. The ones I don't use on my salad don't go to waste as I and others at my table will put a slice in our water. I did hear that one party requested a whole ton of fruit be delivered to their table, which tied up some of the waitstaff. I do think we should be reasonable with our requests.

I do agree that we need to be reasonable with requests. I also have great respect for the people who work on ships and treat them well. Maybe I didn't make myself clear in my post. The allergies I have are potentially life threatening. I can't tell by simply looking at the menu if ingedients are included that I can't eat. I'd far rather be safe than sorry (or worse).

Putting Tony's requests into perspective, he does a LOT of cruising and IMHO, his requests aren't unreasonable given the number of days/year he cruises and the number of times he's looking at the same menu and same choice of food. It's not as if he's requesting these choices on a 7-day cruise.

There are far more passengers making special requests than you think and it's not unusual nor an imposition. Most have dietary concerns (everything from food allergies to diabetics to vegan/vegetarian to religious) and Princess goes out of their way to accommodate them. I've been at tables over the years with passengers with any one or a combination of these concerns and Princess has been fabulous in being flexible and making sure they get what they want. On our Sea Princess cruise this past summer, a lady at our table was diabetic and they made sure every night that she had what she liked. They even made special desserts for her that she could eat.

I've often requested eggs Benedict in the dining room for breakfast, asking the Maitre D the night before. On our Island cruise last Spring, we had a table for 8 of family and friends and several wanted to have short ribs one night. So, with advance notice, the Maitre D served us short ribs that were delicious.

I order the following usually on a cruise on different nights and I try and give them one days notice or sometimes it can be done on the spot...of course looking after your Head Waiter goes a long way!

Carpaccio

Lucoulous (spagetti wrapped in baked eggplant that is baked)

Fried Calamari

Chateau Brillant with Bernaise

Parmasen Cheese and Kalamata Olives

10 Ounce Filet from the Steak House

Lobster and Shrimp appetizers from Sabatinis

Brasolla

Lobster and Seafood Risotto

Eggs Benedict

Steak Tartar

Waldorf Salad

Bananas Foster

Cherries Jubilee

Crepes Suzette

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

What would happen if all 2000 to 3000 passengers issued a "special" request list like this throughout the cruise...........:confused:

Personally........I can always find something to eat on the offered menu.....and certainly something off the always available list...:)

It was not meant to be insulting so don't start anything Dear Donna . I was trying to make a point to those that do not show their appreciation . I really do not believe if you are a seasoned cruiser that you have not observed or heard of people be demanding and then remove all gratuties from their accounts or not give the staff any extra when they go above and beyond . :mad:

I have shared a table with four who fit this description perfectly.........:mad:

Unfortunately many times............those that are the most demanding are the least appreciative.....;)

It was not meant to be insulting so don't start anything Dear Donna . I was trying to make a point to those that do not show their appreciation . I really do not believe if you are a seasoned cruiser that you have not observed or heard of people be demanding and then remove all gratuties from their accounts or not give the staff any extra when they go above and beyond . :mad:

double post

I can't see any harm in politely asking the dining room staff to accomodate a special request. I could be wrong, but I would think they would want to accomodate a request if they can. I am sure they would much rather work with happy, satisfied passengers than those who are disappointed there request could not be fulfilled. And I also think most people are kind enough and astute enough to know to recognize staff who do something special for them----yes, there are the occassional dolts who ask for everything and give nothing in return, but I don't think anybody here falls into that category.

I wish I never asked the question. I started this Thread and it is getting nasty.

My take on this is close this thread.

Cruise lines should stop all personal requests unless it is for medical or religious reasons. If you cannot find something on the menu, go hungry!

...In fact they bring stuff for me more often then not before I can ask for it anyways....!

If your earlier post was a summary of things that have been brought to you without asking, then I have no problem with you accepting these niceties when they come at the convenience and inclination of the staff. But, my impression was that you asked for these -- if that's wrong, I stand corrected.

The harm in this is that, yes, the staff does want to be accomodating. It's not like there isn't some clarity about the fact that they are working for tips. So, I think they very much want to do whatever is asked of them. And, certainly if there is something that is needed, no one should feel as though it's out of line to ask. But, when we ask for special favors, we are putting the staff on the spot to try to fill the request at a time when they may be involved in other responsibilities.

There are plenty of opportunities to tip the staff for special favors if you cruise regularly and treat them politely. Yes, the special menu items often are delicious. I know this because I've had them. But, I just don't feel that it's right to ask for them. I don't need them, and so I don't think it would be polite.

What would happen if all 2000 to 3000 passengers issued a "special" request list like this throughout the cruise...........:confused:

Personally........I can always find something to eat on the offered menu.....and certainly something off the always available list...:)

It reminds me of being a teacher. What if EVERY ONE of my students needed individual one on one attention....it would never work. BUT LUCKILY it isn't like that, nor is it like that on a cruise or in a restaurant in general. Most are fine.

BUT cruises & restaurants are in the business of customer service. I, as a paying customer, have a right to ask. They have a right to say no...but if it is possible, they will likely say yes. I am truly impressed how accomodating they can be, as suggested by the above posts.

I have also always found something on the menu to please...but there are those w/ dietary needs--or even different tastes--that have the right to make requests! And, yes, thank goodness not everyone needs special requests.

Happy cruising!

Kris

I wish I never asked the question. I started this Thread and it is getting nasty.

My take on this is close this thread.

Cruise lines should stop all personal requests unless it is for medical or religious reasons. If you cannot find something on the menu, go hungry!

I agree, I feel this topic is only going to add too the whole, I can do whatever I want.

Coolers, Crock-Pots, BYOB, etc etc.

Originally Posted by T&J

Even better when I paid $49.00 per person per day currently on the Golden Princess to do a Med cruise and also an Egypt cruise!

Tony

And this should allow you special order privileges?? What about the folks who may only cruise 2 or 3 times a year but paid $150 pp pd and up????

Ron

What exactly are you doing ? :confused: Taking a post from one thread and putting it here to be rude to Tony is really uncalled for . I guess it was dig in time for you . Do you have some kind of beef with him ? Pun intended . :(

No, just pointing out that everyone on the cruise should get equal treatment, whether they have an inside or a suite, whether they cruise once in a lifetime or several times a year and no matter what they paid for the cabin. If you do not agree with this logic please tell me why.

Ron

If your earlier post was a summary of things that have been brought to you without asking, then I have no problem with you accepting these niceties when they come at the convenience and inclination of the staff. But, my impression was that you asked for these -- if that's wrong, I stand corrected.

The harm in this is that, yes, the staff does want to be accomodating. It's not like there isn't some clarity about the fact that they are working for tips. So, I think they very much want to do whatever is asked of them. And, certainly if there is something that is needed, no one should feel as though it's out of line to ask. But, when we ask for special favors, we are putting the staff on the spot to try to fill the request at a time when they may be involved in other responsibilities.

There are plenty of opportunities to tip the staff for special favors if you cruise regularly and treat them politely. Yes, the special menu items often are delicious. I know this because I've had them. But, I just don't feel that it's right to ask for them. I don't need them, and so I don't think it would be polite.

I can see where you are coming from, but would respectfully disagree. The staff have jobs like many of us do---trying to balance multiple requests at one time. I think most folks would understand if they were told that a special request could not be accomodated becasue of ohter more pressing demands on the staff's time--I know I would understand. So, again, I understand what you say about "putting them on the spot", but don't concur---they can say "no". Incidentally, the staff "puts me on the spot" all the time--asking me to buy cook books, go to wine tastings, etc. while I am dining---they are typically polite, and I know they are doing their job, so I am not bothered when they make a "special request" of me. I like to hear your thoughts--thanks for repsonding!

Here's what I find interesting about all this. If Princess offered an "upper-class" style of booking that included special dining requests each evening, like the Cunard Grill classes, people would have a fit that some were able to purchase extra favors. But, if you grease a few palms, and get what you want as a result, the practice is lauded.

No, just pointing out that everyone on the cruise should get equal treatment, whether they have an inside or a suite, whether they cruise once in a lifetime or several times a year and no matter what they paid for the cabin. If you do not agree with this logic please tell me why.

Ron

I disagree with you completely....because in theory perhaps in the ideal world that's what should happen but it doesn't and it certainly doesn't onboard any cruise ship I've been on. For example, why should an Elite or a FULL Suite pax get priority tendering in tender ports? You paid to go to the same place so does that make them better than you?...that's the logic you are applying....we'll there no better than you but they paid $450.00 per person per day compared to to an inside cabin at $100.00 a day.

The bottom line is for ME; I personally don't abuse it and if there isn't anything on the menu I won't be shy to order off of it at all...I haven't in the past and will continue to do so.

...and no I don't have a dietary concerns or medical conditions and I certainly won't go hungry as someone else suggested!

Tony

Here's what I find interesting about all this. If Princess offered an "upper-class" style of booking that included special dining requests each evening, like the Cunard Grill classes, people would have a fit that some were able to purchase extra favors. But, if you grease a few palms, and get what you want as a result, the practice is lauded.

AGREED!

Tony

I disagree with you. Where do you draw the line or define what is medical or religious? Would passengers have to show up with a doctor's or clergyman's note? How would you enforce this? What if someone forgot or didn't know to check off special dietary requests on their Personal Information? Do you prevent people from ordering a 2nd lobster tail or fettucini alfredo as a side dish rather than an entree?

As long as we're individuals, we'll have individual tastes and requests. Cruise dining is now all about flexibility and being able to make a special request ties directly into this flexibility.

Yes and what would happen if 2000-3000 pax each year booked and paid for over 15 cruises a year and 236 days at sea during one year like me? .....that would be 590,000 Banana Fosters that are not on the menu.

...what are you saying...I am not entitled to ask for something off the menu?...no.....didn't say that

:) :) :)

:) :) :)

We'll what did you say?...'cause it's not amounting too much except starting a feud about something that in event is a moot point as far as I am concerned because openly I will admitt to it I will continue to order items that are off the menu if there is nothing that appeals to me taht night on the menu (which is rare btw)....people are going to order off the menu and you can't regulate it onboard.

Tony

.....that would be 590,000 Banana Fosters that are not on the menu.

Which would then lead to the entirely unwelcome spectacle of the waiters and galley staff lining up to sing "Yes, We Have No Bananas" each cruise, 1) to preclude any requests, and 2) for your dining and dancing enjoyment!.

:D :) :D

Archived