More Bearing Problems for Millie - Millie Cancellation (Combined Thread)

AstridSJ

The pod system used in the the M-class ship was the most powerful/largest that the manufacturer had ever developed. There is often a penalty for being the first. The expression that I have often used in speeches when addressing advanced technology issues (I hope that this does not offend anyone) that "The earliest Christians got the hungriest lions".

All pod systems are prone to more problems than standard propulsion systems. Pod propulsion, as attractive as it is, is not quite a mature technology yet. Currently, RSSC's Voyager is laid up for two weeks with two cancelled cruises and I believe their Mariner has reduced speed due to propulsion problems. They use the "other" pod manufacturer but this is only the second problem over 4 years or so for both ships combined so I would be very hard pressed, i.e, would not say, that RSSC has a chronic problem with their pods.

Bill

I'm not asking you NOT to feel bad for the passengers. I'm just asking you to consider that this is an unfortunate scenario that is bad for both the cruise line and the passengers...

If you DON'T agree with these points, please explain to me where my logic falters. Thank you.

I am sure Celebrity is still making money - just not as much. I am sure they are just as sick of dealing with the situation as the passengers are.

Because this has become such an epidemic and so many cruises are being effected I think everyone here is beginning to agree or coming to the conclusion that Celebrity needs to make that first big step to admit publicly that there is a problem and let their passengers make the decision whether they wish to cruise or not.

This has been requested by me several times, was very nicely worded by yourself last night, and perhaps best said earlier this evening by NHcruisers. If Celebrity would make this good faith gesture I believe it would result in the termination of many of these discussions about their miscomings.

I am sure Celebrity is still making money - just not as much. I am sure they are just as sick of dealing with the situation as the passengers are.

Because this has become such an epidemic and so many cruises are being effected I think everyone here is beginning to agree or coming to the conclusion that Celebrity needs to make that first big step to admit publicly that there is a problem and let their passengers make the decision whether they wish to cruise or not.

This has been requested by me several times, was very nicely worded by yourself last night, and perhaps best said earlier this evening by NHcruisers. If Celebrity would make this good faith gesture I believe it would result in the termination of many of these discussions about their miscomings.

We've reached an agreement! Hooray!

Canes Rule,

I agree with that 100%. I would be willing to bet that several months ago most posters on this board would just pass off these ongoing pod failures as just a part of cruising experience.

I don't see how you can keep all of your sympathy away from Celebrity. I'm not asking you NOT to feel bad for the passengers. I'm just asking you to consider that this is an unfortunate scenario that is bad for both the cruise line and the passengers...

If you DON'T agree with these points, please explain to me where my logic falters. Thank you.

Time for the facts - Celebrity has had over sixteen pod failures and in less than seven months there have been four pod failures. Many cruisers, who have never heard of a pod, have saved for years to take a cruise or have spent their life saving for one special vacation and have had them curtailed by a problem which is known to Celebrity. Celebrity makes millions or billions, what ever it is, off these cruises. Please forgive if my sympathies are not with Celebrity when the pods that Celebrity purchased fail and disappoint passengers by curtailing the itinerary they had paid for.

...when the pods that Celebrity purchased fail and disappoint passengers...

That's interesting wording. You bring up the fact that Celebrity purchased these pods and they fail. So why are you sympathetic to passengers who pay for a defective product but have no sympathy for the company that is also a victim of a bad purchase?

Has anyone had any reports on the Millie? I believe our own host Anne is on the Millie. Hope all is going well with the pod problem.

Good morning,:)

Anne is home now....she is actually sailing on Century the

week of 12-16.

Host Joe was on Millie the earlier this month.

Maybe you have your moderators mixed up?;)

Good morning,:)

Anne is home now....she is actually sailing on Century the

week of 12-16.

Host Joe was on Millie the earlier this month.

Maybe you have your moderators mixed up?;)

Lois R, You are right, I did have my hosts mixed up. I mis-read Host Anne's last post.

Thanks for the correction. Maybe someone from the MIllie will check in.

Lois R, You are right, I did have my hosts mixed up. I mis-read Host Anne's last post.

Thanks for the correction. Maybe someone from the MIllie will check in.

Hi Two Rabbits, it was indeed me that was onboard Millie from 11/10-11/24... and it was a fantastic cruise. I am still in contact with someone who is currently onboard for the TA back to FL, and there has been no other changes as far as I understand.

As far as pod issues while we were onboard... there was virtually no issue visible to us, the passengers. The only thing I noticed was that our stop in Santorini was shortened to leave at 8pm instead of 11pm, which made no difference to me or anyone else that we came across. From what I saw, after sunset the town folded up and everyone ran back to the ship anyway! We were 1 hour late coming into one port, but that was due to a medical evacuation that we had to make early that morning... and Celebrity added that hour to our departure that day.

The back to back passengers were advised about half way through the cruise that Naples would be cancelled on the TA home, and from what I understand they received generous compensation in the form of onboard credit for that missed port.

I hope that gives you the update you were looking for!

Archived