More Bearing Problems for Millie - Millie Cancellation (Combined Thread)

AstridSJ

Many folks choose a TA because of the excellent value those cruises offer. For a low per diem, one can experience both ports and sea days on a line they might not otherwise be able to enjoy.

The appeal of a long voyage for a price that is often not much more than a weeklong Caribbean cruise is a strong selling point for transatlantic sailings.

Personally, I have no interest at all in doing such a cruise. I very much enjoy visiting Europe but prefer to do so by air and train so that I can relax and get to know a city/country. Popping in for a few hours would not be my choice. And, I would be bored to death with so many days at sea.

But, that's just me.;)

Just rebooked on the Explorer of the Seas on 12-10 in a Grand Suite... Cost as much as a Sky Suite on the Mille... Rebooked my free cruise on X on the Mille in December of '07... I hope her pod problems are worked out by then...

We just rebooked our 12/10 cruise to 1/14/07. There were very few suites left for Feb or Mar so we were limited in our choices. Celebrity said if there was a certain sailing that you wanted and your category was sold out you would have to go one category lower. We are happy how it turned out but it has been a nightmare logistically. Celebrity also said they would pay up to $100 for changed airline schedules even if you did not book through them. Just fax them a copy. Anyone elso on the 1/14 cruise? bgop

Just noticed the TA won't only miss Naples, it will also be in Malaga 1 hour and 30 minutes shorter, killing the full day shore excursion to Alhambra in Grenada, the only worthwhile thing to see over there. For me, effectively, that's 2 ports gone.

Floris

We were on the 10 night Alaska cruise on Infinity out of Vancouver on 9/3/2006. Well before our cruise Celebrity, announced that the cruise immedialy following our, the 9/13/2006 cruise, would be cancelled and Infinity would go into dry dock [which it did in Victoria, which had the only dry dock available on the West Coast at that time]. Celebrity also informed us of two port changes, one hour less in one port and two hours in another port. Celebrity also informed us that Infinity would cruise at a maximum speed of 19 knots. We knew all of this before we ever left home.

Did this affect our cruise experience. Not at all, it was a wonderful cruise, and we were on time arriving and departing every port. During a tour of the bridge we were able to see the notice that the left pod was to be operated at a maximum of 70% power, which resulted in the slower speed. The notice was attached to each of the three duplicate pod levers, one in the main console and the other two on each wing of the bridge.

The problem in our case was electrical and not a shaft bearing issue.

We are booked on Millie for the 14 night TA out of Barcelona on 12/2/2007. Caviargal really hit the nail on the head when she mentioned that this cruise is a great value. Our daily per diem for two persons is less than $700.00 for a Royal Suite. Are we going to worry and fret about pod issues - no. We had a marvelous experience on Infinity, and expect the same on Millie.

Many folks choose a TA because of the excellent value those cruises offer. For a low per diem, one can experience both ports and sea days on a line they might not otherwise be able to enjoy.

The appeal of a long voyage for a price that is often not much more than a weeklong Caribbean cruise is a strong selling point for transatlantic sailings.

Personally, I have no interest at all in doing such a cruise. I very much enjoy visiting Europe but prefer to do so by air and train so that I can relax and get to know a city/country. Popping in for a few hours would not be my choice. And, I would be bored to death with so many days at sea.

But, that's just me.;)

Is it only Europe that you don't like to cruise to? I note in your signature you have been on 106 cruises and I'll bet that 95% of those ports were for only 1 day. Something good must have made you cruise that many times.

I personally like visiting cities on a cruise, but that's just me.

Jim

Is it only Europe that you don't like to cruise to? I note in your signature you have been on 106 cruises and I'll bet that 95% of those ports were for only 1 day. Something good must have made you cruise that many times.

I personally like visiting cities on a cruise, but that's just me.

Jim

I don't mind Med cruises if they are to countries I am not interested in spending time in (France, Greece), or when are I can cruise on ships I love (my October, 2007, RSSC will be in the Med next year with an extension in Rome and Venice). When it comes to places I really enjoy in Europe (Italy, Germany) I want to stay awhile. I dislike rushing off to pack in as much as I can into the brief port stop.

Many of my cruises were business, actually; less than half were pleasure trips. And it is over a 40+ year span of time. I used to love to cruise for the cruise experience itself, but these days very few lines inspire that feeling so I rarely cruise for pleasure.

Most of mine have been cruises to the islands, and sometimes I debark (if I like the port) and sometimes not. I very much enjoy land trips to islands that I enjoy so that I can take my time and enjoy. There are many islands that I am fine with spending just a few hours in, and others I could care less about ever seeing again (St. Thomas, Nassau, Martinque, etc).

I am interested in cruising to the Baltics, South Pacific and enjoy cruising Alaska. I have done one land trip there and while it is dramatic, I prefer Alaska by sea.

There are room for both in my life. These days, however, as ships get larger and the onboard atmosphere gets more casual, I am drawn less and less to the cruising experience.

That's just my preference.

Just noticed the TA won't only miss Naples, it will also be in Malaga 1 hour and 30 minutes shorter, killing the full day shore excursion to Alhambra in Grenada, the only worthwhile thing to see over there. For me, effectively, that's 2 ports gone.

Floris

Floris, Very well put. The impact of these continuing pod failures should NOT be down played. The impact on the passengers on a few of the "pod cruises" has not been as great as the major impact caused by most of the pod problems. The Infinity "electrical pod problems", mentioned above, went on from July 9, until the Infinity finally went to drydock on September 13, for a complete pod replacement. Those passengers on the July 16 Infinity had their cruise delayed one day and then had to disembark and then re-board the ship the next day before the Infinity could begin the shortened cruise. The effect on other cruises, where pod problems have developed, has been even more dramatic.

The effect on those on the cancelled cruise, following a pod problem, also should NOT be down played, as many do not sail frequently nor they able to reschedule their vacation time, on short notice. This latest pod failure is the third in less than seven months on Celebrity and the sixteenth since the M-Class ships were introduced in 2000. I don't know when enough is enough, but in my opinion it is ENOUGH! It is time For Celebrity to at least warn potential cruisers about the possibility of this happening to them.

It sounds all well and good to offer people refunds and rescheduled trips for these ever-more-frequent pod failures. But what gets lost in that equation is the ruined trips centered on events that are difficult or impossible to reschedule. Suppose it was to have been a big family reunion with people from all over the country or the world. Or a honeymoon. Or what would have been an elderly person’s last trip, and they’re simply not around for the next sailing. How do you reschedule those major life events? You don’t.

As for the corporate apologists out there, ever vigilant and defending RCCL/X’s bottom line, doesn’t a company at least have to spend some money to maintain their equipment? If these were airplanes missing city after city, or having engines fail in mid-flight, passengers would be up in arms. Instead, some would have us believe we’re all supposed to just fork out a few thousand dollars for a trip, and if it gets ruined? Oh well! That’s the breaks! Have another pina colada.

I feel certain X is insured against any losses from these failed sailings, so they’re not getting hurt there. Further, X is merrily pursuing a $300 million lawsuit against the pod manufacturers.

See this:

http://www.imarest.org/emarine/issue11.htm

So they’re not sitting back and accepting the problem. They’re receiving massive compensation on at least two fronts, more than enough to cover their losses. So why shouldn’t the passengers?

Clearly, it’s simpler and cheaper for X to sail these ships until they drop. Obviously, as a corporation, their primary concern is making money. Fair enough. It would just be nice, with a name like Celebrity and all they promise, if customer care could be in the top 10 on their priority list; clearly, it is not, or they wouldn’t keep subjecting their passengers to these ill-fated sailings with a problem they’ve know about for years and years.

You’ll get treated like a celebrity on Celebrity, all right. However, be prepared to be treated more like Pauly Shore than Brad Pitt.

Good luck to any booking a cruise on “the Iffy Ships.”

Here's a good article on the long, long, long history of this problem:

http://www.ebearing.com/news2002/032701.htm

I feel certain X is insured against any losses from these failed sailings, so they’re not getting hurt there. Further, X is merrily pursuing a $300 million lawsuit against the pod manufacturers.

See this:

So they’re not sitting back and accepting the problem. They’re receiving massive compensation on at least two fronts, more than enough to cover their losses. So why shouldn’t the passengers?

:) Good evening,

The law suit you are referring to is over 2 years old, and has been partially settled with a $38million payment from most defendants...the portion of the law suit VS Rolls Royce is still pending.

The '' recovery'' yoou are referring to is not nearly sufficient to balance out.

The article about the pod history you linked: great .. Thank you for that. While over 4 years old, it is very much '' current''.

Cheers

Claude G

;)

Apparently a large group (80) from the cancelled Millie booked on HAL bumping people waitlisted for the main dining and causing some discontent over there.

Yes--I am a crazy person --but on every HAL ship I have been able to find the "coin" that was put in the mast (usually the main stack) to insure good winds and safe sailing. The Millie has no coin. I looked, I asked and was told no coin. So if they didn't plan for good sailing its not the pods, its the wind gods wanting to be paid.

It sounds all well and good to offer people refunds and rescheduled trips for these ever-more-frequent pod failures. But what gets lost in that equation is the ruined trips centered on events that are difficult or impossible to reschedule. Suppose it was to have been a big family reunion with people from all over the country or the world. Or a honeymoon. Or what would have been an elderly person’s last trip, and they’re simply not around for the next sailing. How do you reschedule those major life events? You don’t.

As for the corporate apologists out there, ever vigilant and defending RCCL/X’s bottom line, doesn’t a company at least have to spend some money to maintain their equipment? If these were airplanes missing city after city, or having engines fail in mid-flight, passengers would be up in arms. Instead, some would have us believe we’re all supposed to just fork out a few thousand dollars for a trip, and if it gets ruined? Oh well! That’s the breaks! Have another pina colada.

See this:

Clearly, it’s simpler and cheaper for X to sail these ships until they drop. Obviously, as a corporation, their primary concern is making money. Fair enough. It would just be nice, with a name like Celebrity and all they promise, if customer care could be in the top 10 on their priority list; clearly, it is not, or they wouldn’t keep subjecting their passengers to these ill-fated sailings with a problem they’ve know about for years and years.

You’ll get treated like a celebrity on Celebrity, all right. However, be prepared to be treated more like Pauly Shore than Brad Pitt.

Good luck to any booking a cruise on “the Iffy Ships.”

Bigtexxx, Interesting reading about the pod problems. It is unbelievable to think that an article written in March 27, 2002 describing a recurring problem would still be current. The article has been repeated, for the last four and a half years, word for word, with only the dates and the names of the Celebrity ships changing. The latest breakdown with the Millennium is the eleventh pod breakdown since the article was first published. Your article is indeed, unfortunately still very current. Thanks for the links.

You make it sound as though their money is flushed down the toilet. If the cruise is cancelled, the money is refunded PLUS they nearly always get a future cruise credit. If they are on a "ruined" cruise, there is normally some degree of compensation given. Considering that passengers still get much of what they paid for (their cabin, the food, the amenities, the service, the activities...) why SHOULD they be given a full refund? We can talk about how fair/unfair the compensation is, but it's certainly not just "Oh well! That's the breaks! Have another pina colada."

See this:

But as you point out, this is a (somewhat frequently) recurring issue. Why would you think that their insurance carrier would continue to cover this problem? I would imagine that by now, pod problems have become a "pre-existing condition" that the line has to eat. If not and if they're still able to recover insurance payouts, imagine how ASTRONOMICAL the premiums must have become. Think about how much your car insurance goes up when you get in one little fender-bender. Now picture if you had over a dozen incidents that resulted in multi-million dollar damages!!!

Compensation is more then generous. I received a full refund AND am now cruising on the exact same dates on Explorer Of The Seas for free. Since this was offered to everybody, there was no need for anybody to cancel, to change flights, to waste paid vacation days, etc. Yes, obviously I would rather cruise Celebrity as RCI, but hey... the RCI cruise is now for free... And you can't complain about a present, right? :D

Floris

Compensation is more then generous. I received a full refund AND am now cruising on the exact same dates on Explorer Of The Seas for free. Since this was offered to everybody, there was no need for anybody to cancel, to change flights, to waste paid vacation days, etc. Yes, obviously I would rather cruise Celebrity as RCI, but hey... the RCI cruise is now for free... And you can't complain about a present, right? :D

Floris

Hi Floris,

Congratulations again on wining the "Celebrity pod lottery", for the second time. I am glad to hear that you are going to enjoy your free cruises and were have not been impacted too much by these bonanzas. While some may not be able to enjoy their "free" cruise the big point that many seem so eager to avoid talking about is the impact on passengers who are losers in the "Celebrity pod lottery".

Some still refuse to admit that there are consequences to many because of Celebrity's decision to just keep sailing these defective M-Class ships. Unfortunately for each "two time winner" there is also a "two time loser" out there. Those who have not been as fortunate as some and have had their cruises "ruined" by missing, perhaps the chance of a lifetime to visit ports that they booked the cruise to see. Those unfortunates have had Itinerary rearranged to allow their crippled ship time to return to port to either pick up more passengers and continue limping along or go to dry dock for more patch work of a serious problem. Many cruisers come from all over the world and $100 or so for missing part or most of a cruise and some kind of a future cruise certificate from Celebrity, which is worthless (and well known to Celebrity) to anyone who has had a once in a lifetime vacation "ruined". While some see this as just Celebrity's normal business operation and have no problem with missed ports, as long as X buys them a few drinks and gives them a FCC, I am still not seeing the generosity or fairness from Celebrity when a prospective customer can call customer service and ask about the pod situation and be told that the pods have only broken once and should be of no concern. IMHO it is not up to someone else to make proclamations about how a passenger should feel about the having their vacation curtailed by one of these pod problems.

"IMHO it is not up to someone else to make proclamations about how a passenger should feel about having their vacation curtailed by one of these pod problems."

Nurse Bambi:

Perhaps you should follow your own advice.

Karon

I am on the Nov 24 TA cruise. I have never been to Europe and am very disappointed that we will miss seeing Pompeii. I booked this cruise because of the ports and the great value. If I really wanted to see Italy thoroughly,it would have been smarter to pick a tour of just Italy. This is the first time I am receiving any real compensation for a missed port. I missed Ecuador on a South America cruise due to a problem with bugs. The captain did not want the ship fumigated,so he chose not to dock there. No compensation. Heavy seas prevented us from going to Costa Maya, Mexico. Compensation was 2 hours of open bar...not so great for slow drinkers! Anything can happen at any time when we go on vacations. I don't believe X is doing this on purpose to annoy us all. As they say...$#%@ happens!

Am I upset? YES......mad?...not really........I will be mad when I lose the $300 compensation in their casino!!!!

Hmmmm,, the original manufacturers of the pod components cannot make the part so it won't wear out prematurely, so Celebrity should pull 4 ships out of service and cancel literally thousands upon thousands of vacations? versus a one week drydock to replace the part. Makes a whole lot of sense to me... NOT!

Future cruise certificates are not worthless. I, as a passenger, had three of them from Millie cancellations. I also have had numerous happy passengers who used their FCC's towards future cruises.... and of course, I am sending a number of happy people on the Millie in Jan as opposed to Dec 10th... for free.

However, I did have one unhappy cancellation today. not because of the ship, but because somebody was not paying attention and speeding ran smack into my client's car as he was driving home... and killed him. For him, there will be no more cruising.... ever.

Traveling of any kind, whether it be on the high seas... or picking up your drycleaning two blocks from home.. entails risk. How you deal with disappointments, is individual.... the glass is either half full.. or half empty.

Hmmmm,, the original manufacturers of the pod components cannot make the part so it won't wear out prematurely, so Celebrity should pull 4 ships out of service and cancel literally thousands upon thousands of vacations? versus a one week drydock to replace the part. Makes a whole lot of sense to me... NOT!

Future cruise certificates are not worthless. I, as a passenger, had three of them from Millie cancellations. I also have had numerous happy passengers who used their FCC's towards future cruises.... and of course, I am sending a number of happy people on the Millie in Jan as opposed to Dec 10th... for free.

However, I did have one unhappy cancellation today. not because of the ship, but because somebody was not paying attention and speeding ran smack into my client's car as he was driving home... and killed him. For him, there will be no more cruising.... ever.

Traveling of any kind, whether it be on the high seas... or picking up your drycleaning two blocks from home.. entails risk. How you deal with disappointments, is individual.... the glass is either half full.. or half empty.

Thank you as usual for putting things in perspective.....

While I agree that returning what has been paid and a "free cruise" for a cancelled cruise is fair for most.

The FCC's given out by Celebrity for a shortened or severely reduced Itinerary because of pod problems is a whole different story, when money has been spent for a specific Celebrity cruise. I would have to respectfully disagree with any notion that Future Cruise Certificates always have a value. Some passengers may never be able to ever use the FCC coupons because of health reasons. Many others travel from all parts of the world to take a specific cruise and can not afford the several thousands of dollars to return, plus the additional cruise cost, to complete the cruise that they missed. While others may not want to repeat "rolling the dice" with recurring pod problems and have another vacation ruined. The majority of cruisers have never heard of a pod and in MHO they should be informed, by Celebrity, at the time of booking. If you have paid for champagne, I see no reason why you should have to settle for lemonade.

I think that Celebrity offers a fine onboard experience, but Celebrity just sticking their head in the sand concerning these pod problems is IMHO just not the proper course of action.

While I agree that returning what has been paid and a "free cruise" for a cancelled cruise is fair for most.

The FCC's given out by Celebrity for a shortened or severely reduced Itinerary because of pod problems is a whole different story, when money has been spent for a specific Celebrity cruise. I would have to respectfully disagree with any notion that Future Cruise Certificates always have a value. Some passengers may never be able to ever use the FCC coupons because of health reasons. Many others travel from all parts of the world to take a specific cruise and can not afford the several thousands of dollars to return, plus the additional cruise cost, to complete the cruise that they missed. While others may not want to repeat "rolling the dice" with recurring pod problems and have another vacation ruined. The majority of cruisers have never heard of a pod and in MHO they should be informed, by Celebrity, at the time of booking. If you have paid for champagne, I see no reason why you should have to settle for lemonade.

I think that Celebrity offers a fine onboard experience, but Celebrity just sticking their head in the sand concerning these pod problems is IMHO just not the proper course of action.

FCC's have a very high rate of return.

Vacation ruined? The only thing I know which ruins a vacation is death.

Okay, so what would you do with the pod problem?

Some still refuse to admit that there are consequences to many because of Celebrity's decision to just keep sailing these defective M-Class ships. Unfortunately for each "two time winner" there is also a "two time loser" out there.

I am not denying that, I am simply stating the facts about the 12/10 cancellation. Compensation is very generous (full refund and free cruise), and the free cruise can be taken on the exact same dates as the original cruise, so no problems with having to cancel flights, having wasted paid vacation days, difficulties with taking time off, etc. As for 'once in a lifetime ports'... the only difference between the Millennium cruise and the Explorer of the Seas cruise is that Casa De Campo is switched for St. Maarten. I can't believe anybody is upset about missing Casa De Campo :D

Floris

Archived