Anyone heard of "Passion Island"?

Donna42

Well........this is almost correct. Carnival used to offer more than one excursion to the island, but recent contract talks fell through. Carnival still has a contract to provide "The Twister to Passion Island" on an individual basis, but if you contact Carrie at (insert 3 w's)tourcozumel(dot)net she will tell you (in detail) about the 3 different tours to the island that they provide. You CAN go by way of the Twister, but only as a group of 10-20 people for $70pp. The other tours that they offer are the VIP, which is by bus & boat...and the Jeep Tour. All tours cost $70pp and last for approx 5 hours...the time you get to spend on the island depends on the tour that you choose to take (as travel times for each tour are different). Also, all of the tours that they provide include a Mexican Buffet and open bar......whereas the Twister (from Carnival) does not.

Anyone have a review on these excursions? Love to hear from you.

:) As Kim said, there is a web site that will let you book it independently. That is who I used. We did the Beach Adventure and had a great time. If you have questions let me know.

Ken~

Are you back already? I can't wait to read your review of the island and all the work that is being done to upgrade it!! I have been lucky enough to find the extra people needed in order to book the Twister at the group rate and we are in the process of finalizing things as we speak. Did you have a chance to meet with Carrie? I would like to drop in on her while we are there, just to tell her personally how much I appreciate all the hard work she does. (I swear, I don't think the girl gets more than 4 hours sleep at night - she's always available!!) :)

Thank you for pointing me in her direction. ;)

Unfortunatly I had to deal some other matters that were far more important than vacation. :( Glad to see you are going to get the tour you really wanted. I still hope to get down very soon...:)

Thank you for the information. How long did it take to get there?

That would depend on which tour you take. The Twister gets you there in about 20 minutes (40 mins RT) - which gives you around 4-4.5 hours on the island. The VIP Tour takes approx 35-45 minutes (1-1.5 hrs. RT) - which gives you approx. 3.5 hours on the island. The Jeep tour takes close to an hour (2 hours RT) leaving you with approx 3 hours of island bliss.

Passion Island note. My son just came back and said they walked around the island to the far side and found tons of great shells, coral, spounges, etc. We have gone a couple of times before, but never ventured far from the bay area. You might want to carry an empty bag if you are into shelling and up for the adventure of walking around the island. He was very excited with his finds.

Passion Island note. My son just came back and said they walked around the island to the far side and found tons of great shells, coral, spounges, etc. We have gone a couple of times before, but never ventured far from the bay area. You might want to carry an empty bag if you are into shelling and up for the adventure of walking around the island. He was very excited with his finds.

Thanks for the TIP! Isn't that half of the fun of being on a private island paradise...the adventure and exploration? ;)

Did your son mention anything about finding sand dollars or star-fish, and how is the snorkeling? My kids like to snorkel off the shoreline (not deep water). Also, did he notice any wildlife there (such as birds, etc.)?

I am really looking forward to going there in June, and am glad that your son had such a good time there.

I think this is basically the same tour that Carnival HAD.. From what we have heard they no longer offer the tour...

I have also booked through Carrie and the website, Can't say enough good things about her! Agee with Kim on everything she says!!

Will be on Passion 6 days from now and Can't wait!!

Im guessing your 6 days are up, please tell us about your day..:)

Unfortunately I have become very confused with this thread. Some people are referencing Passion Island and some Paradise. In the last few years Passion Island we have been to Passion Island three times, the last Jan 08.. Each time it was available only thru the cruise lines. Very quite, no crowds and great. Just a time to relax. The number of people tightly controlled. There were no activities for kids. I truly believe if it starts becoming another all purpose beach in Cozumel it will loose all it's charm. Can anyone clear this up for me.

Unfortunately I have become very confused with this thread. Some people are referencing Passion Island and some Paradise. In the last few years Passion Island we have been to Passion Island three times, the last Jan 08.. Each time it was available only thru the cruise lines. Very quite, no crowds and great. Just a time to relax. The number of people tightly controlled. There were no activities for kids. I truly believe if it starts becoming another all purpose beach in Cozumel it will loose all it's charm. Can anyone clear this up for me.

Hi concour~

Sorry about any confusion. This thread is about Passion Island (the OP asked how to go about booking a tour there)...but I think another poster referred to Paradise Island in error.

Passion Island is available through the ships, but you may also book through tourcozumel(dot)net or by clicking this link: http://www.isla-pasion.com/beach_adv.html To book the Twister to Passion Island through them, you must have a group of 10+ passengers, but the other tours are available on an individual basis. (Carnival offers the Twister at a slightly higher price, on an individual basis - but it's not AI) Visit their newly designed web site...it explains the different tours they provide in detail. The next time you go, you may want to book with Carrie - she is fantastic (and you'll save a little money too!) :D

:) Concour, you are right, there are very few crowds. We recently got back from Passion Island and there were less than 50 people on the entire island. I liked the fact that the childrens area is seperate from the adult area. It's a great setup and I can't wait to go back.

FYI, as I just posted to Kim, you can book all the tours to Passion Island on your own. See my post to Kim.

:) Kim, I think the best link to use to book with carrie is *****. I have been told this is their new web address.

Actually, both links work (for the time being at least). They have recently been reworking their web site and there were a few kinks to work out, but it should be fully operational within the next few weeks. Now that I have already booked our tour there in June, I prefer to write directly to Carrie at tourcozumel(at)yahoo(dot)com. She is really "on top of things" and a real asset to their company! Even now, she'll email a couple of times weekly (just to touch base). She's highly customer service oriented and answers emails promptly...I swear, I don't think that girl sleeps more than 4 hours a night!! ;)

I am using the phrase New Passion Island because is seems to have changed a lot in the last three months.

1) Since they have opened it up to tours are they still trying to control the number of people there? Last time we went there was only 33 people the last two hours we were there.

2) With ATVs, GoKarts etc is it still a peaceful place? The peace and quiet was one of the things we loved.

3) Does you group still get their own guide? We have always had Leo. He would stop by on a regular basis and see if there was anything he could get us and sometimes bring our favorite beverage when he saw we were running low. Always had some great tequila for shots on the way back to the ship.

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks for the TIP! Isn't that half of the fun of being on a private island paradise...the adventure and exploration? ;)

Did your son mention anything about finding sand dollars or star-fish, and how is the snorkeling? My kids like to snorkel off the shoreline (not deep water). Also, did he notice any wildlife there (such as birds, etc.)?

I am really looking forward to going there in June, and am glad that your son had such a good time there.

We were there July 2006 and found a large piece of coral. I asked our guide if we could take it. He said we could take things as long as they were not alive. We also saw angel fish. You know the kinds you see in aqauriums. They swam around us in the water. The kids loved it. They found out the fish were vey attracted to the lime pieces off of the beers their dads were drinking. We spent an hour just standing in the water in a circle watching the fish swim around us. Soooo cool! We did not snorkel but the water was so clear we could see great without masks.

We were there July 2006 and found a large piece of coral. I asked our guide if we could take it. He said we could take things as long as they were not alive. We also saw angel fish. You know the kinds you see in aqauriums. They swam around us in the water. The kids loved it. They found out the fish were vey attracted to the lime pieces off of the beers their dads were drinking. We spent an hour just standing in the water in a circle watching the fish swim around us. Soooo cool! We did not snorkel but the water was so clear we could see great without masks.

How cool is that? I'll have to remember this when we are there in June!

I have been looking forward to this excursion ever since I first found the site and started researching it. Now, it just keeps sounding better & better!! My DS23 loves to snorkel and my DD16 is really into photography...so I know that each of them will be occupied doing something they will want to do. My DH & I are perfectly content laying in the sun with our toes buried in the sand and a cold drink in our hand! ;)

I am using the phrase New Passion Island because is seems to have changed a lot in the last three months.

1) Since they have opened it up to tours are they still trying to control the number of people there? Last time we went there was only 33 people the last two hours we were there.

2) With ATVs, GoKarts etc is it still a peaceful place? The peace and quiet was one of the things we loved.

3) Does you group still get their own guide? We have always had Leo. He would stop by on a regular basis and see if there was anything he could get us and sometimes bring our favorite beverage when he saw we were running low. Always had some great tequila for shots on the way back to the ship.

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill~

I am curious...How does Isla Pasion (Passion Island) sound so much different than when you were there 3 months ago? From what I have been told, the owner has recently begun extensive upgrades to the road and other areas of the island - but don't know about the other amenities. I'd love to read your review of your experience there.

I have yet to go there & experience the island first-hand...but have read nothing but positive reviews so far. On past cruises, I've always wanted to go, but didn't for 1 reason or another. When I found their website and wrote to Carrie (their Rep), I was impressed by an immediate reply that answered any questions I had - and even after we booked our tour, she continues to keep in touch regularly. I would suggest that you email Carrie for specific information.

I know that I recall her mention that they DO try to control the population of the island at a given time... and Carnival recently stopped offering the VIP Tour as an excursion. I believe the ATV's and go-karts are all in the children's area, which is separate from the adult area (but close by). They also have a water trampoline, paddle-boats, etc. I am getting there via "The Twister", which will have a guide - but do not know if the guide will be present throughout the course of the day (except for when it's close to departure time).

Each time we have gone to Passion Island we were met at the cruise ship pier by Leo, their representative. After a memorable 45 minute bus trip we boarded a boat for a quick five minute ride to Passion Island. We arrived on the back side of the island and a one minute walk brought us to the beach. White sand, blue water and a slice of heaven. There was an open bar for basic drinks but you could pay for others. The open eating area was under a pylapus (sp?), an extremely large covered thatched area. As mentioned before the food was very good. There was a little area for shopping, but it was away from the beach. Rest room facilities were very nice compared to most beach areas I have been. The only "activities" at the time were a land trampoline, water trampoline and a volleyball net. Once there was a ballon toss that lasted 5 minutes. Segways were available to rent.

There were plenty of shaded area, loungers and clam shell loungers, and hammocks that you did not have to rush and worry about getting a good spot. Crowds ranged from 33 to maybe a 100 people. Only once did we see teenagers or kids and then it was only a few. As I had mentioned before it was a slice of heaven.

When it was time to go our tour guide came by and gave us a 15 minute warning. No loud announcements. From start to end a great excursion.

Yes, the road was a bit bumpy but it was part of the charm of the trip. The first time the bus trip seemed the longest because you did not know if it would ever end. After that it was much better because you knew what was waiting for you. We always had the option to get off the boat downtown on the way back.

Bill

PS In reading this back I feel that I did not give Passion Island justice, but then again mere words can not describe heaven.

concour~

Thanks Bill! On the contrary...I think you gave a very good review of your times spent there. ;)

The first time that I contacted Carrie (their tour Rep) was about a month ago, after finding a link to their web site in a post. I have probably received a dozen emails since then. She explained to me that the owners of the island & Carnival could not reach an agreement during contract negotiations, and they are now providing more excursions to the island themselves. The owners are also undertaking the task of upgrading the road and many of the amenities. It sounds as if they are also upgrading the tours also, by providing the Mexican buffet and open bar too. It would be my guess that the work done on the children's area is an attempt to attract more families. I am glad to know that the population of the island is somewhat limited - I can't wait to go there and just realx the day away in the sun & surf!

Again, THANK YOU for your opinions and review. :D

Archived