Treated bad in Jamaica

We have been to Ocho Rios 3 times, most recently in June. Believe it or not, this last time we experience much less of the described aggressive behavior from the locals. One thing could be that we did use Peat Taylor and must highly recommend him to all. I think just being with his group provides some relief from the hassles. He set up the hair braiding for my daughter and he did tell me I would have to negotiate price. My son & I walked through the shops at Taj Mahal and were treated very nicely. We bought a couple of t-shirts and things and found the shop owners to be polite and helpful. Actually, we were not with Peat's tour at that time; we were on our own. We went to Jimmy Buffet's and had a nice, but loud, time there. This port was my son's favorite one and we are planning to go back next summer.

We have had bad experiences there in the past, but nothing that would keep us from going back.

It's ridiculous to say that if tourists didn't buy drugs they'd stop offering them. If they have ANYTHING to sell, they'll offer it, whether people buy it or not. If they're that hard up for money, they'll go for it regardless.

The first time we were in Jamaica was on a cruise and we took a tour with Peat Taylor. It was so wonderful, that my husband decided that for our next vacation we should stay in Ocho Rios. That was the worst week of our lives. If you think they're unpleasant while the ships are in town, they're even worse when there are no ships and they have the tourists who are staying there as a captive audience. We actually feared for our safety, and the hotel warned us not to go outside the gates once it got dark. My son was only 13 at the time, and was offered drugs IN FRONT OF US every day. Do you think he fit the typical mold of tourists who buy drugs?? I don't. When we refused to take taxis because we were in walking distance of the hotel, we were spit at and called names I can't repeat here. Should we just "walk away and ignore it"? How dare anyone suggest it. If someone from another country came to the US, would it be acceptable for us to call them by rude names or treat them they way they treat tourists in Jamaica? I don't think so!!

I realize it's a different culture there, but let's face it. The fact is that even if there's poverty, there's no excuse to be urinating and defecating in the streets, which we saw happen every day we were there. There's no excuse to try to badger and intimidate the tourists, or to call them names and spit at them. To threaten them and make them fearful, or to examine their bags for no apparent reason. Because if that continues, there'll be no tourist business. And then where will they be??? You think they have poverty NOW?!

If you had a great time in Jamaica, wonderful for you. But for those of us who didn't, we'll NEVER get off a cruise ship in Jamaica again.

Sharon H.

We have been to Jamaica several times, and each time it just gets worse, its a lovely place and I am sure that the people there can be very charming and friendly, just introduce me to those people.

After our last visit where my usually very mild mannered, calm husband had to give money to a person to leave us alone and quite hounding us, we will never step onshore again unless we have something very special booked with someone private such as stated above who is there for your protection also.

I'm sorry but this is not the place for a relaxing stroll or walking tour!

We give Jamaica a thumbs down.

I realize it's a different culture there, but let's face it. The fact is that even if there's poverty, there's no excuse to be urinating and defecating in the streets, which we saw happen every day we were there. There's no excuse to try to badger and intimidate the tourists, or to call them names and spit at them. To threaten them and make them fearful, or to examine their bags for no apparent reason. Because if that continues, there'll be no tourist business. And then where will they be??? You think they have poverty NOW?!

I work in inner city Los Angeles, and I see this behavior here too everyday. I've been badgered in Paris, France, in Cozumel Mexico, and here in the good ole USA. I've been called names by peddlers here in the States, it happens, I just keep walking.

MrsPeteSadly, I think the truth is evident here: People are buying marijuana from these locals -- if someone wasn't buying, they'd stop offering; if they didn't find it on cruise passengers on a regular basis, they'd stop searching. There was a thread on these boards recently about how easy it is to find drugs and how safe it is to bring them back onboard; it was shocking. I expect your son and son-in-law fit the profile of the typical buyer: young men. It's too bad that innocent people are caught up in this mess.

I agree that there is a business or they would not do it. I do think that these young men may have fit the profile that they were looking for to buy drugs. Here in the US its called "racial profiling." Gasp! Hope people here in the US get shocked enough over racial profiling here to do something about it. All I can say is welcome to life of living in inner city/uban US. This is what happens on a daily basis being harrassed, and belitted because they fit a certain profile. It's shocking when it happens to you, and in another country where you have no rights. You however have the choice of not visiting that country again. Sadly here, that is usually not the case, especially since moving out of the inner city doesn't prevent the profiling from occuring.

atonal1,

there is definetely a reason why you and I don't have the same problems and you know it.;)

My kids and I had a great time in Jamaica last year -- and indeed while the vendors after Dunns Falls wanted us to buy =-- no one was really that aggressive, in my opinion.

Keep in mind that you are visiting the "third world" in Jamaica and most other ports.

The average household income in Jamaica is LESS than what you paid for your cabin for a week!

I certainly don't like the island behavior -- but its quite understandable. Just keep your distance, be smart, keep moving.

(you will run into the same in Mexico, Antigua, Barbados, etc. I think the Caymans are the only islands this won't happen)

and -- based on the "scent" in the hallways of the ship -- there were definately many buyers/users of ganga!

Pete

O.K., now you all have me very nervous.

I traveled to Jamaica about 13 years ago....in fact I was then for the entire month of February in 1990 and again in 1992. I loved every minute of both trips and I never felt scared or afraid. I stayed at a private home up in the mountains. We were the only "white folk" for miles and miles. The locals loved us and treated us with respect and friendliness. Yes, when we went into Ocho Rios the craft market folks would chase us down saying "hey lady, want to braid your hair?" Or, "come see my shop...buy something from me" But, I've experience all of that on every island that I have visited.

I am now sailing on the Mariner of the Seas during the week of November 7, 2004. I am sailing in a group of 7 women. I have read about tour companies on this site, as well as researched on the internet. I've found a tour company called A-Z Jamaica Planners. I have contacted them regarding hiring a tour driver for an island tour. I explained to this tour company that I want to hire a driver for an "open tour" I do not want to go to Dunn's river falls, or craft markets, or the driver's best friend's shop where I will be harrassed to purchase items. I said that I wanted to hire the driver to be a chaperone, best buddy, tour guide, one of the group,etc. If we go to Margaritaville, I expect the driver to join us. The tour company responded with "no problem mon"....basically they said they would do whatever we wanted, go anywhere we wanted, only stop when we say stop.....anything goes, as long as it is legal. (However, when I made the reservation I only said that I was traveling in a group of 7....I did not mention that we are women only).

O.K., I know that this will probably bring a variety of responses, but I need to ask.....what does everyone think about 7 women getting off the boat alone in Jamaica and heading out with "Oscar" our taxi driver in Jamaica? I've done this same type of thing in Antigua and Curacao....7 women with one male driver for an island tour. We were never scared and never had any problems....just a wonderful time. Besides, I would imagine the tour operators are registered with Gov. there or something....right? The tour company I used was recommended on the CC message boards by fellow cruisers. I wasn't concerned or afraid until I read this thread.

So, let me know your opinions. thanks

Adventure Girl -

I also booked with the same company. They have had mostly good reviews (see Ports 0f Call - Jamaica). The only bad review was a "mix up" where they did not show up.

I am also booked with Oscar and hear that he is the best. I haven't heard of anyone being harrassed at all. I can let you know how it goes for us when we get back. Trust me, if we are having problems, the tour will get cut very short!

Wow - what a terrible experience and sorry to hear about your troubles. All of the negative comments surprise me as well.

DG and I cruised the western itinerary last summer and purchased the River Tubing adventure for our Jamaica stop. We had a wonderful time - it was so fun. We spent the afternoon floating down the White river and enjoying a Red Stripe beer. Afterwards, we went to Margaritaville for lunch and had a great time. We were never harassed and even did some shopping in the surrounding shops.

Now, all of the negative comments have me wondering if we were just lucky last time. Hmmm...

Adventure Girl -

While I will remain in the "stay on the ship" group, you have some advantages:

• A group that knows on another.
  • Your own "employee" who's pay depends on you having a good time.
  • The recommendation of others who have used the company.

I don't mind the agressiveness, it's the rudeness that has convinced me to stay on the ship next time I go there. I've been to Cozumel where they also are agressive, but at least they were not rude to me. If I'm polite to you, reciprocate in return.

I booked with Peat Taylor and had a great time. We were the first group up the falls and Peat had told us to just bypass the shopping area by going out through the entrance. He then took us on a tour, back to the ship for lunch and then on to the shopping area where he stayed close by. No hassles at all.

Perhaps some of these cruise vacationers who do not seem to enjoy many of the Caribbean islands would be better served on another type of cruise. Hawaii, the Mississippi, Alaska, and Canada spring to mind. You won't find the grinding poverty of the Caribbean in any of those itineraries. You will get a change of climate and scenery without having to worry about dealing with Caribbean natives. Oh, if all you want is a beach and warm weather, then perhaps a land vacation in the southern US might fill the bill.

I have been to Jamaica many times over the years and really love this island. Some of the locals can be aggressive but a simple "no thanks" has always worked for me. For those of you that have not been, please do not let the comments on here take away your excitement for visiting this island. It has to be one of the most beautiful in the caribbean.

jhaasz:

Thanks for the comment...I see from your profile that you are sailing on the Voyager at the end of August...on the caribbean route I assume. I'm sailing on the Voyager in Sept on the 5-night to Canada. So, yes, please post when you return.....I'll be interested to hear about your experience on the Voyager out of Bayonne...as well as how your tour with Oscar went in Jamaica. So far, A-Z Jamiaca Planners sounds like a great tour company. I hope for both of us that is true.

98Charlie: wise observations....thank you for the comments. I feel better.

[QUOTE]Perhaps some of these cruise vacationers who do not seem to enjoy [COLOR=Red]many of the Caribbean islands[/COLOR] would be better served on another type of cruise. Hawaii, the Mississippi, Alaska, and Canada spring to mind. You won't find the grinding poverty of the Caribbean in any of those itineraries. You will get a change of climate and scenery without having to worry about dealing with Caribbean natives. Oh, if all you want is a beach and warm weather, then perhaps a land vacation in the southern US might fill the bill.[/QUOTE]

I missed the part of this thread where the discussion was about ports of call other than Jamaica. The OP had a bad experience. Others have also. Still others love a Jamaican stop.

We have sailed east, west and south in the Caribbean. Jamaica is the only port I would not care to revisit. JMHO

I was concerned about traveling to Jamaica just because we wanted to do more than the typical tours. I found a lot of positive comments regarding private tours versus renting a car or taking cabs around the island on your own. We saw many positive posts for Trevor Hudlin and we booked a tour with him. Anyone on this thread heard of him? What is your opinion? We felt that a tour guide may sheild us from some of this. I will report back with our answer.

I have visited Jamaica for 3 land based tours and would agree that sales tactics can be aggressive, but a firm no, and an air of non intimidation usually suffices.

Jamica is beautiful those who don't try it do are missing out.

Would I let the fact that I was searched stop me from visiting a country, no it is a fact of life when travelling. I have had my luggage searched very thoroughly and publicly in many countries, Thailand, Mexico, Turkey, Mauritius, Maldives, hey even the good old US of A. I have even been throughly searched both leaving and entering my home country the UK but still choose to live there. Searching is a fact of travelling. Do I look suspicious, I shouldn't think so I am a white female in my early forties so do not fit the usual prejudicial profile of the officials target of choice, so I don't take it personally.

Go to Jamaica, enjoy Jamaica, just remember not to be intimidated and remember you are in a different country with different customs.

Jo

Since I started this thread, I thought I would respond after reading all the posts so far. It seems that different people have had different experiences when it comes to Jamaica. I just wanted to let everyone know how we were treated there and I understand that everyone can make their own decision about whether to go there or not. I understand that the people are just trying to make a living, but there is still no need to be so aggressive. I’ve been to a lot of the other islands myself and never experienced people like those on Jamaica. I wish a kind No Thank You would have worked, but it didn’t. And the name calling was just uncalled for. I wouldn’t treat people visiting the US like that. Enough said. For those that stay on the ship when visiting Jamaica, I’ll see you at the pool! For the others, I hope you are treated like you should be. With respect.

I've never had a bad experience in Jamaica but it still remains one of my least favourite islands and for the most part only got off to go for a drink at the Jamaica Grand. On the last few trips we've walked over to Margaritaville for a few beers buts that's about all we'll ever do there.

we are booking Az planners . Going to places of culture that have recieved great reviews in travel books. Ive listed them on another post , didnt get much info. I hope these places(not the usual tourist traps will be for a better experience.:)

The best way to get this mean behavior to stop is to not give in. Somebody mentioned that their husband gave money to somebody to get them to stop harassing them. So there you go, it has worked for them in the past, they will keep intimidating and harassing people, and call them names if they have learned that by doing so, will cause people to cave like a jelly fish and either give them money, buy some cheap crap, or get your hair braided with a lice infested brush. Until people get a backbone and stand up to these hounding locals, it will never stop, and will continue to get worse.
I too, when I was younger and before I was well-traveled gave in because it seems like the easy thing to do, with experience I have learned to just be strong and pretend that I am not bothered by the insults - actually I am not really bothered, I am not the one acting like an idiot, praying on innocent Americans, Canadians, Japanese, British, etc.
I have had to deal with Moroccan children grabbing at my arms trying to steal my watch and any other jewelry. At first, like a fool, I thought, "Wow. What friendly kids, trying to hold my hand while walking down the street", then realized hey, they're trying to steal my watch! I just yelled at them to stop and was firm, and they ran off. A non-seasoned traveler can easily fall victim, and they obvioulsy have. Locals have a perception of Americans - Rich and Gullible - Let's try to change this reputation please.
I don't mean to sound insensitive, I do feel for those who have had bad experiences while traveling to third world countries, but please do your research before you go. Being an American, you are used to your rights and liberties and safety in your own country, but when you are no longer in the United States you are no longer protected. Traveler beware.

Littlegoo75

I agree with you in part. For me it's not a problem to resist aggressive behavior. And, if everyone did as you and I, the problem would be reduced.

However, there is a large pool of new travelers for the sharks to feed on. A couple of good scores a week in many third world countries can equal several months (or more) income. Because of the pool of potential (for lack of a better word I'll call them victims) and the value of a single (transaction?) the severity of the problem may ebb and flow but will never go away.

I will definitely not be getting off ship on our stop in Jamaica....been there...did that...don't need the hassle from the peddlers!! The peddlers in Montego Bay in were the most agressive that I have ever seen in all my travels ...some were just plain nasty after a "No Thank you!"... Even though the excellent gold prices in the duty free shops are tempting, I'll be staying aboard!

Archived