Return from Alaska-Infinity

Luvtotrav

We arrived home last night from our cruise to Alaska on the Infinity. We had perfect weather and the sights were beautiful. The ship was great and the crew and service were fabulous. We went with a group of 36 people and everyone was so glad to have gone.

We did the whale watching with Capt Larry and it was wonderful. We went to the Lumberjack show in Ketchikan and very much enjoyed it. After the show, my wife and I went on a float plane and the sights were breath taking. When we arrived in Juneau, we took the trolly bus for a site seeing tour, it cost $14 a piece and we went on about a 10 block ride. I thought the guy was kidding when he came back to our original stop. Do yourself a favor and skip the little red trolly buses. Hire a taxi and you will get alot more for your money.

If I could do it over again, I would have made sure to have flown into Vancouver vs Seattle. The bus ride was rather long. I do have to say though, Celebrity did a good job putting it all together and it did go very smoothly.

We had a very long wait in Vancouver before getting on the ship. Apparently there was a problem with customs. Other than that, I give the trip a 10.

From Minnesota

luvtotrav,

We are going on the Infinity 8/22/04 and I was interested in the Captain Larry's Whale Watch. Where did you get the information about this trip. I would very much appreciate anything you can tell me about the trip.

I'm back from the Infinity cruise also. We had a fabulous time. The weather was beyond amazing, way out of Alaska norms. I went on Capt Larry's Whale Watching trip too. I didn't even know he was a big thing here till recently but my mom had booked through the internet already. We saw a pod of Killer Whales and I think I have the best whale pics out of the 15 years I have been whale watching. lol My dad and brother went fishing in Ketchikan and caught their limit of 5 a piece in salmon. It should be here tomorrow actually, filleted and everything. I think we were pretty lucky to see the glacier too so close up. Sounded like the July 4th week was pretty bad weather wise so we were lucky.

We flew into Vancouver the Thursday before the cruise and rented a car. It was very easy the morning of the cruise. We just dropped our luggage off at the Pam Am parking garage, drove one floor up and was able to return the car there.

We were also on this cruise and sing the praises of Carol & Capt Larry's whale watching tours. We were very appreciative of the option to drop us off at the Medenhall Glacier on the way back, just give them a call and they will try their best to accomodate everyone! Very friendly staff, convenient location (right across from the Tram & Dock), great boat for viewing & we really enjoyed our naturalist, Randy & Capt. Larry! Timing was a blessing & the orca & humpbacks were awesome!

This was our first Celebrity cruise, wonderful service & great itinerary!

Ms. Flagger is asking if ya'll might know how much was it at the pier to upgrade to a suite or was the ship full. I keep telling her we should be happy with our CC because we will never book anything but a suite if we are able to get one at the pier for purchase.

So if any of your recent cruisers might have looked into paying for an upgrade, what were the prices at the time? Yes I know they vary from week to week, but a general idea would be appreciated.

Luvtotrav, did you go with island Wings in ketchikan? We are taking her floatplane trip plus a whale watching trip with Capt. Larry. How close did you get to Hubbard?

We were on the 7/04/04 Infinity and truely loved our week in Alaska; Other than Ketchikan our weather was great especially at Hubbard Glacer. great crew and wonderful ship... Did the Seaplane with Seawind and found them to be wonderful.... Any Questions ask Bob

We were on the July 4th trip - had a fabulous time. In Ketchikan, we were on the seaplane trip with Island Wings - really recommend Michelle. She has a very personal and friendly tour - sights were amazing. We used Captain Larry to book our whale watch and helicopter dogsled trip which is very convenient since they will take you straight to the airport after whale watching. The dogsled on the glacier was pricey but a memorable experience. The people who run it live in camps for 6-10 days right on the glacier with the dogs. They are very informative and welcoming to visitors.

Flagger,

We went with Southeast Aviation for the float plane. Great investment! (and this is coming from Mrs. luvtotrav). Capt'n Larry's was spectacular! We were amazingly close to the Hubbard Glacier. I have heard some that have not been able to get very close, however, we were able to.

We had an incredible trip! I was a little leary of going to Alaska because to me vacation is the Caribbean, however, I was so wrong. Alaska is one of the most beautiful places that I have ever been.

Mrs. luvtotrav

From Minnesota

Everything was great! I personally get really tired of those who think they need to bash the food. I always wonder what they eat at home? The trip was great, the service was super and the food was very good.

Luvtotrav

I don't know if this is the norm, but we arrived early - around 11:30 - and were surprised to find people already going through customs. We were on the ship by 12 - 12:30 p.m. - could not believe how quickly the process went. Was nice to get on the ship early to explore while it was still very empty.

Archived