Early disembarcation

ozbuc

The DW and I are going to be on the Island Princess for the 12/27 Hawaii cruise. A question to whomever may know the answer. Since we live in the general Los Angeles area and will not be flying home can we just grab our bags and go once the Island ties up. We are not planning on the stewards handling our bags but instead we will be portaging our own.

We did that on a trip that came into LA. We each had one suitcase and a carry-on. Those carrying their own luggage are the first group off, along with quite a few other people. If you take your own luggage off there is no help at all. You must carry it, or roll it or muscle it off yourself. Princess staff do not help with it in any way. You will received notice to this effect if you choose to take your luggage off yourself; so be sure you can manage everything. We were off by 8:30 AM.

I just wonder if passengers who don't need to get off early (they're not going to be rushing to catch a morning flight) who did utilize early disembarkation, may be delaying other passengers from getting through customs and immigration. After all, even if you are taking off your own luggage, you do need to be processed too.

I just wonder if passengers who don't need to get off early (they're not going to be rushing to catch a morning flight) who did utilize early disembarkation' date=' may be delaying other passengers from getting through customs and immigration. After all, even if you are taking off your own luggage, you do need to be processed too.[/quote']

I doubt it. Everytime we have departed getting your bags collected is the bottleneck. Immigration and customs is usually a "walkthrough".

Now where they do have an advantage is they get in the taxi line first... We did it in Venice when we stayed over. We were first off, got the first taxi, got to our hotel in Mistre, and were back to Venice probably before the whole ship had disembarked. :D

Archived