Beware of arrangements with Tobin's Taxi!

Blackrobe

We had pre-arranged a tour with Glenroy Tobin prior to our cruise for Thanksgiving day, November 23. After several e-mails which were promptly answered, we arranged for a four (4) hour tour at the price of $100.00. The other option was a two (2) hour tour for $60.00.

Glenroy never notified us that he was not going to personally give us the tour. In fact, his last e-mail provided his description for identification at the pier. When we arrived in Tortola, we were met by Raymond who informed us that he worked with Tobin and he would be giving us the tour. There was no explanation as to why Glenroy was not present.

First we had to go to a vendor and wait while Raymond purchased himself lunch. He then provided an adequate tour, nothing exceptional, until we stopped at Cane Garden Bay beach. While we walked along the beach, Raymond consumed most of his lunch. After we returned to the taxi, Raymond had pretty much completed his narration and he finished his lunch while driving us back to the city. He didn't even bother to stop at Boomba's or Pusser's Landing.

Raymond returned us to the starting point after 2 1/2 hours during which a portion of that time was spent getting getting him his lunch. When I asked him what he was charging for the tour he told me that I had agreed with Tobin to pay $100.00. I paid him the $100.00 feeling as if I had been flim-flamed by the locals.

I wrote to Glenroy as soon as I returned to the ship and here is his reply:

I have acknkowledge your issues but unfortunately at the time i scheduled u guys to tour with me. During that week things develop which cause changes to be made. I am very sorry how things went and I would have love to tour u guys but i was very tied up with other customers all day.

Thanks again for visiting the BVI and do hope u come again that I would be able to tour u both.

Take care until we meet again.

We return to Tortola in January and I can assure you that I have no intention of touring with the locals!

• 5 years later...

I am from Las Vegas and currently live in Toronto, my husband and I have been going to tortola minimum twice a year since 1998, we were married there in long bay beach and Glenroy Tobin was our BEST man at our wedding.....Raymond that you speak of is a wonderful man as is Tobin and I would trust BOTH of them with my life!!!! I can walk the streets in tola at any given time and feel safer than anywhere.....Mr. blackrobe, your criticism is your own, but I have to ask what you must have said or how you handled yourself to get the so called treatment you so such dismay in.....you must remember you are a visitor in thier home and I must say that I take the time to fly in and stay and become one with this beautiful island and its people instead of blowing in on a ship that cators to you and stepping off that boat with the mentality I have seen 1st hand...the cruise ship people that come to our slice of heaven have NO regard nor RESPECT for this beautiful paradise.......they row in and slither here and there being cheap as hell and leaving their GARBAGE and being disrespectful to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get a life and get off the ship and learn to really live!!!!!!

• 2 months later...
I am from Las Vegas and currently live in Toronto, my husband and I have been going to tortola minimum twice a year since 1998, we were married there in long bay beach and Glenroy Tobin was our BEST man at our wedding.....Raymond that you speak of is a wonderful man as is Tobin and I would trust BOTH of them with my life!!!! I can walk the streets in tola at any given time and feel safer than anywhere.....Mr. blackrobe, your criticism is your own, but I have to ask what you must have said or how you handled yourself to get the so called treatment you so such dismay in.....you must remember you are a visitor in thier home and I must say that I take the time to fly in and stay and become one with this beautiful island and its people instead of blowing in on a ship that cators to you and stepping off that boat with the mentality I have seen 1st hand...the cruise ship people that come to our slice of heaven have NO regard nor RESPECT for this beautiful paradise.......they row in and slither here and there being cheap as hell and leaving their GARBAGE and being disrespectful to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get a life and get off the ship and learn to really live!!!!!!

Wow...

I was really disappointed by your last comment "...I have no intention of touring with the locals". That absurd comment shows a total lack of understanding too many people have of the islands and the wonderful people there. And the "issue" with the lunch is ridiculous - get over it already - Tortola is one of the most laid back sppots on this planet. And regarding Bomba's Shack and Pusser's Landing, Bomba's is usually closed during the day and when open there's nothing to see. And Pusser's is not a typical stop on the island tour. I'm sure your tour was more than "adequate".

We also stay on Tortola because of the "locals" and the beauty there. ;)

Alwaysgoing4u, we also cruise occasionally, and yes we've seen fellow cruisers disrespectful to the environment and to the people in our travels. But I must say your tendency to lump all cruisers into one nasty category is just as narrow-minded as the OP's comment.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow things must be really slow around here that we would be resurrecting posts from 2006 to debate.

Alwaysgoing4u - I fear that Glenroy Tobin would not be happy that you have placed this horrible thread at the top of the Tortola Threads.....

I'm sure it is not too good for business given the negative title.......

I didn't agree with that poster's tone and I have been to Tortola four times in the past 18 months.....granted only for one day at a time but I truly enjoy it every time and I don't slither around or leave my garbage.

I spend my money and treat people with respect. I love Tortola and can't wait to go back at the end of the month..... to the same beach you go t married on :)

• 3 weeks later...

It's too bad he had a bad experience, but that sometimes happens.

Blackrobe - What are your intentions next trip to Tortolla, tour with the cruise company? I would never pay the amount they ask, and know you would get a much better tour with a local. Nobody knows the land better. Just book a tour with a group of people, people from your roll call - there is power in numbers!

Alwaysgoing4u - I am offended. I'm a "cruise ship person" and I do have respect for every place I visit, every person I meet, and I am the furthest thing from "cheap". Every "tourist" town/island get garbage from visitors. I live in a tourist town in Northern Michigan, I know it first hand, but I also know those tourist leave some of their money hear, which we appreciate.

Wow things must be really slow around here that we would be resurrecting posts from 2006 to debate.

Alwaysgoing4u - I fear that Glenroy Tobin would not be happy that you have placed this horrible thread at the top of the Tortola Threads.....

I'm sure it is not too good for business given the negative title.......

Good point, if he's such a good friend why dredge this up to the top of the boards after SIX YEARS.......:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
..the cruise ship people that come to our slice of heaven have NO regard nor RESPECT for this beautiful paradise.......they row in and slither here and there being cheap as hell and leaving their GARBAGE and being disrespectful to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get a life and get off the ship and learn to really live!!!!!!

I am a "cruise ship person", as you call us. I do not slither and leave trash on islands I visit. I treat everyone with respect. I am not cheap. I spend money at every island I visit and do not try to bargain hunt and get prices down. I pay whatever the given price is. Please stop categorizing everyone under 1 umbrella.

• 2 months later...

Archived