Well everything is set now...cant wait(long)

trimixdvr

Both my wife and I are business owners and have not had a vacation in years. So we decided to pull out the stops and try to make this one a great one. I lived in Juneau for a number of years as a kid so know some of the areas pretty well.

To start off we bought enough MVP gold upgrades to make sure all of our flight was first class (you can find them on ebay pretty cheap.) Was able to get all legs of our plan in first class from orlando to anc/jnu for about 1650 including the purchase of the MVP certs. they are one way, do some resaerch before purchasing and make sure upgrade seats are available for your flights...worth it IMHO.

We are doing 8 days on land then a 7 day America West Steamboat cruise.

Heres the Itenerary

Alaska Itinerary June, 07

· 13th Leave Orlando 6:33pm

· 14th-Arrive ANC 12:51 a.m., acquire rental car-Few hours sleep at Daves, visit wildlife center Go to Aleyaska. Dinner in Girdwood.

· 15th- Aleyaska Full day, Misc Time-Dinner Seven Glaciers.

· 16th- Aleyaska- The Columbia Glacier Tour.

· 17th- Drive to Homer, take in the sites…6-10 hours. Stay at the Double Eagle.

· 18th- Hallo Bay Full day Bear trip Out of Homer, Double Eagle.

· 19th-Homer, Halibut Fishing. Stay at Double Eagle.

· 20th-Drive to Seward, Check In Van Gilder.

· 21st-Seward sightseeing/shopping stay at Cabin on a cliff.

· 22nd- Drive to Anc, fly to Juneau, arrive early check into Alaskan Hotel.(I know its definately not the greatest but spent alot of time there when I was younger).

· 23rd-day open for optional time, board Empress of the north p.m.

· 24th-port in Skagway, White pass RR, Explore town.

· 25th-Nature cruising, Glaciers and wildlife

· 26th-SITKA / OLGA STRAIT / PERIL STRAIT / NEVA STRAIT, visit Alaska Raptor center, explore town.

· 27th-Enjoy dinner at the face of Le Conte Glacier and transit Wrangell Narrows. Visit Petersburg.

· 28th-Start your day with breakfast at the entrance of the Stikine River and finish with evening transit up Wrangell Narrows. Visit Wrangell.

· 29th- Wake-up breakfast at Dawes Glacier face. Transit Endicott and Tracy Arm with stops at waterfalls.

· 30th-disembark the Empress and head back to Orland depart 1:15 a.m.

· 1st-arrive Orlando 5:18 p.m.

sounds good,

but if its been SO long since a vacation...why not go somewhere like europe or australia or somewhere FAR away and different?

but nevertheless.....have fun!!!

The wifes English so europe is old hat to her, I spent 20 in the Navy so I've seen my share as well. I miss Alaska and she's never been and is excited to go so seemed like the right choice.....Should be a blast, started reading the posts here some time ago and got the bug (-:

I would love to hear your reviews of Empress of the North when you return!

We have friends that did the Empress this year and were very pleased, they cruise allot so I value their opinion. I will definately post up once we return....seems like years away now.

We have friends that did the Empress this year and were very pleased, they cruise allot so I value their opinion. I will definately post up once we return....seems like years away now.

I have eyed the Empress and I have also heard the experience is fabulous! It is on my list to do one of these days.

• 2 weeks later...

The Cabin on the Cliff is sooooooooo cute! You'll love it!

The Van Gilder Hotel is listed on the National Historic Register, but did you also know it's famous for being haunted?? Ask the front desk when you check in. They love to talk about their "special guests".

They did a nice job remodeling a couple years ago. I've seen people returning that spent their honeymoon there like 50 years ago.

Enjoy your vacation. :)

The Cabin on the Cliff is sooooooooo cute! You'll love it!

The Van Gilder Hotel is listed on the National Historic Register, but did you also know it's famous for being haunted?? Ask the front desk when you check in. They love to talk about their "special guests".

They did a nice job remodeling a couple years ago. I've seen people returning that spent their honeymoon there like 50 years ago.

Enjoy your vacation. :)

Archived